Thanks

Using textures, cheating?

Hey, guys,

I was curious. For example, if i painted a full painting of say an environment, with some city buildings or small cottages or whatever in it, and i wanted to apply an overlay of an texture onto the buildings and blend it nice, would that be classified as cheating?

~JB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hell no, If it achieves what you want and in style use it at your leisure.
    It's still secondary to your composition so this isn't a question of whether tracing is bad.

Thanks
    not at all man.. in fact PROPER use of textures is encouraged to achieve a more realistic effect in your artwork. just dont over do it cuz too much kills the work entirely.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Cheating, what would you be cheating?

If you deceive people into thinking you have not used said technique, yup that's "cheating".
    If it becomes a crutch that you rely on, yup that's cheating (this time only yourself)

Never pass up any tool that can help you learn, you can't ruin or spoil yourself unless you have no self control. But if that's the case, you've probably got other problems.

Thanks
    Like many others here I try not to calssify things as cheating- and well yeah it kind of would become a crutch through continued use- For current purposes sure I would say go ahead, providing your technique is explained- but for future purposes- look seriously at how the building is constructed, and pull from it the ablity to recreate it without pictures... The shift key is helpful. Using the right combination of straight lines and erasing, you can make buildings with dimension suprisingly easy.

Thanks
    Man, I only wish there was a way to cheat at art. This stuff is hard!

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Justin mate, I do it all the time. Dont worry. Creating a great concept is far harder than worrying about using photo textures.

Thanks
    Nothing is "cheating" as long as you're honest about it. Certain methods are just more respectable and impressive than others imo.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    On one forum there was a Q&A with Feng Zhu and he wrote:
    "You have to remember that our job is designer first, artist second. Once you have an original design, your job is to express it with a drawing. Use whatever method you want to do this process fast."

I study architecture and on urben design classes we often had assigment to show or concepts as combination of different materials formed into some kind of abstract pattern. What I'm trying to say here is you could show some ideas even for sense of touch. Put piece of concrete next to piece of wood and you have something that is cold and grainy in contrast to warm and smooth. Everything has some qualities. It can be heavy or ligh, bright or dark, shiny, noisy, dynamic, static. You can see all these things in some simple object and what only matters is if you manage to accurately translate them into your concepts.

EDIT: It's cheating yourself in case you avoid learning how to paint some texture beacause it can be taken from photo .
    Last edited by Farvus; April 23rd, 2007 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks
    I can't imagine that being called cheating. in most of the better concept are we see here, its used all the time. Have you ever gone throught the "post your enviroment thread". ask some of those pro's if they consider it cheating, I dont think so.

Thanks
    It's merely the digital form of applying gesso (or something else) to a surface to get a texture. Those who call it cheating would be the same ones that think using photoshop to paint is also cheating.