Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts

What, where, who, why,when?

I'm curious. I was going to make a quiz of this, but couldn't figure a way to make it work.....

WHAT was the first drawing you can ever remember doing?

WHERE is the first place you ever sketched outdoors?

WHO (living or dead) inspired (inspires) you most?

WHY are you passionate about what you do?

WHEN did you get a handle on what you're trying to do?

(Oops! forgot......)

HOW do you want to develop from here?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts

Though I've been drawing for longer then I can remember, the earliest one I can remember working on was probably a dinosaur related one, as far as specifics one for the 6th grade. I always just did side views of some type of carnosaur.

Jeez, it could be as late as august of this past year. If that's the case it would be on a rock on Whiskey Lake in Ontario. I'm sure I've sketched outdoors earlier than that though.

I can't name one person. Peter Paul Rubens, The guy who did the JOB cigarette papers poster in an art nouveau style (can't remember his name) Albrecht Durer, Blake.... many others...

Because I can't really express myself with words (at least not when I want to...) The fact that art allows me to express things I see and feel and that I'm finally starting to get somewhere with it makes me more passionate about it.

I think I officially crossed the line from overall not good to overall good in January of this year. This september was the first time I actually got serious about art, doing studies and such.

In as many ways as I can, as quickly as I can. While having fun, of course

Thanks
    What...

Copying (not tracing) some pokemon out of a book in grade 2. They turned out quite nice if I remember right.

Where...

In the schoolyard. Drew some trees or something.

Who...

idunnolol Though I liked a quote 'Create something that makes them wonder when you became who you are'. It's from a Fruitopia commercial.

Why...

Why not? I really don't know, it's a good way to pass the time and people are WAY too easily impressed.

When...

Probably not too long ago when I realized I might not get anywhere with anything else.

How...

Any way possible is good for me. I'm indecisive.

Thanks
    It was Krang from the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. I was scribbling it on this chalkboard, and my dad walked in and said, "Wow, what a great octopus."
    I told him what it really was and he just shook his head slowly...

Front of my house, looking at a yacht on the lake. Didn't really sketch from outside until a few years ago.

Well...when I was about six or so, I got this old Jurassic Park "behind the scenes" kind of book that I've kept, and there's some pages on this artist called Mark (Crash) McCreery who did creature concepts for it. I was obsessed with that film and with dinosaurs, and seeing that there was art involved in movies, by looking at these pencil drawings of dinosaurs, really got me interested. There's this one drawing of the T-Rex coming out of the jungle, poised and ready to attack, jaws wide open, and it is permanently stuck in my mind.
    That, and McCreery mentioned he was always getting in trouble for drawing in class, which I'm sure a lot of people here including myself could empathise with

I dig that old book out whenever I'm feeling kind of down and read through those pages, just to remind myself.

It's the only part of me that I have a slight chance of improving in?

Haven't. So far to go.

Get a good exponential learning curve going, and fast. And just, well, succeed, y'know?
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Questions. Weefun.

A series of abstract loops with a magic marker in kindergarten. I hated drawing when I was very young, so the only thing I drew was scribbles, and only when I had to. The first real drawing that I did, which began the passion for drawing that I still have today, was just me and my friend drawing all over a big sheet of paper. The only part a really remember drawing was a green chameleon with a spiky orange brain. Yep.

The first time that I remember was when I was a freshman in highschool, just outside the drawing class building. Before that drawing was just a thing I did in my room from my own head. I still didn't spend much time sketching outdoors until the last year.

Wayne Barlowe has been by far the most inspiring figure for me, art-wise. Not so much now, because I know of so many more great artists now, but back in the day he was pretty much the art world for me.

Because I want other people to see the things that I see. And if I don't get those things out through art, that start itching at my insides. Kind of an emo response, no?

I've known that I wanted to be a concept artist ever since I knew of such a thing, but the past few years I'd gotten so that I only drew an hour or two a week and wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with myself. Discovering this sight reignited my desire to be a concept artist and my drive to draw as much as possible. Even then, I feel like it's only been in the last few months that I've really started doing what I need to do to get where I want to go.

I want to get better at anatomy, character and costume design, architecture, environments, mechanical and industrial design, textures, lighting, color, value, composition, rendering, perspective, and probably quite a few more things that I can't quite think of at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    No idea, probably spaceships or aeroplanes though.

In my back garden when I was a sprog

When I was a kid it would have been comic book artists and movies like StarWars, later on I developed an appreciation for artists like Ed Hopper, Hokusai and the Pre-Raphs/Victorian Romantics. I'm inspired by many things, for a short list check my profile.

It's something I've always felt the need to do and I was never any good at much else.

I don't feel I have a handle on anything yet, I'm very much at the bungling noob stage.

I want to get better at composition and capturing atmosphere. My aim is to produce the kind of pictures that I'd like to own and hang on my wall.
    Last edited by Flake; April 22nd, 2007 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Hah, great questions and some awesome answers. Dig Dad's response to Krang, iolarnula

WHAT
    It was a scribble on my bedroom wall in red marker when I was 3 years old. It wasn't anything tangible, but I always thought part of it looked like a shoe. After that, it was all unicorns and dogs and girls in long dresses. The dresses got progressively shorter as I grew older

WHERE
    1989 in Beverly, Massachusetts. we had to draw the new Music Theater that was being built for a contest, so we sat outside the construction site and drew how we thought it would look when it was done. I didn't win .__.

WHO
    I was heavily inspired by cartoons as a kid, in particular Rankin Bass's old movies (the Last Unicorn!). I don't know who the actual designer is for those movies. As for now, Miyazaki, Colleen Coover, Eyvind Earle, Shanth Enjeti, Sargent, Junko Mizuno...

WHY
    At the moment it's because it pays the bills, the people I work with are rad and it isn't crappy office work. But in general, I do it for experimentation, growth, praise, expression and the occassional giggle. When I was drawing as a kid every day, I didn't know why I did. I just loved illustrating stories from my head - I was drawing storyboards without even knowing what they were called when I was 9.

WHEN
    Well, I decided to make a career out of it when I was 16 or so and started looking at art schools and honing my studies to figure work and stuff. I don't know if that counts as getting a handle on it. Character design got a lot easier for me about 2 years ago though and I feel like I can communicate ideas more quickly, with clearer symbols than I could before.

HOW
    I've very much been toying with taking a leave of absence for a few months to start to ask myself that same question. I'm looking into grad schools or programs similar to the atelier to get back to basics, perhaps begin my own period of art therapy, maybe look into teaching... I want to express myself, not just show off a technical skill.

Thanks
    my brother as a devil, around 5? odd times
    jeez, its not happened much so...probably the british museum?
    marhshall arisman, jean leon gerome, and the now cliched phil hale
    it's the only real way to innovate nowadays (imo)
    this website...then i developed!
    move onto illustration, possibly fine art so i can express myself without the limitations of clientele

Thanks
    What
    Either scribbles on the wall with wax crayon (I actually took the crayons from under my mother's nose one by one as I needed them for my awesome graffiti) or a drawing of a goose from a Peter Rabbit book or something like that.

WHERE
    Can't remember too well, it was probably when we were on one of our holidays back in 94/95 in the Drakensberg Mountains that I took to drawing outside as well.

WHO

Too many to mention here, though right now I draw huge amount of inspiration from various cubist and futurist paintings (Duchamp, Braque esp). I'm also heavily inspired by Alex Kanevsky and of course Wes Burt.

WHY
    Because it give me so much freedom. I can do space marines one day, zombies the next and fine art design thereafter. I'm able to escape reality and deal with it through art. It has also granted me many many awesome friends and opportunities. Most of all, it helped me grow as a human being and there will not be a day without growing or learning something new.

WHEN
    Sorry, but I really think this is a dumb question if I understand correctly. Just before his death at the age of 92, Picasso remarked that only now was he beginning to understand what this is all about, only now was he starting to get a handle on things ie. We will never really get a handle on things, because one of the things that define us as artist is that we must keep learning. To say "I have arrived, now I completely know what I'm doing" is to stop learning and is to stop being an artist. But if I had to give an answer, I'd say I'm starting to do that very slowly based on the fact that I'm starting to work at pro level. That doesn't mean anything though .

HOW
    I keep learning and soaking knowledge and understanding up, and I keep arting. This is all about learning, and the learning never ends.

hope that helped
    cheers!
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    I'm being pretty damn bold writing this answer, because I haven't even taken photos of my very few drawings to upload yet, but they're there and I will make a sketchbook, so...

What?
    First drawing to be more than just a doodle for me was a bird with sort of feathers growing out of its head that looked like wheat/barley, it hid from predators in wheat/barley fields. Of course, I called it my 'Barley-Bird'.

Where?
    Hyde Park in London; looking at all the people looking at me.

Who?
    I have absolutely no idea. There must be someone, just I don't know who. Though I know Sir Attenborough's work is awesome and got me thinking, but he doesn't create or paint, he just communicates (and is awesome at it!).

Why?
    I regret not joining in more with the other 5 year olds or whatever, people were actually worried about me for that at the time. I'm making up for it now though! My mind, my drawings, my 5 year old self's imagination. Sure, politics is interesting, but politics just ain't fire-breathing dragon mice!

When?
    Still haven't, that's what I'm going to be working on over the next, well... many years hopefully. Drawing is the one thing I want to do for a long time, I can't imagine being an accountant for 20 years or whatever, but drawing, hell yeah, even if I do suck.

How?
    I'm never going to get job offers, I'm never going to get people specifically wanting to see what I do; I just want to draw better and draw what's in my mind better. When there's stuff in my mind I hate it being trapped there and I want to make it real - wanna get better at doing that.

Thanks

Sitting on my backdoor step drawing the cranes that where so huuge as they knocked down a bunch of flats an stuff across the field.

This was actually the same memory as above, on that day, i went further out for a better look lol with some shitty felt pens and carried on doodling, hours passed and my dad came looking for me, ahh memories

when i was a kid, watching robocop, ed209 made me go all wierd an stuff, havent been the same since, so in my case, Phil Tippett but then around about the same time, my dad made me literally sit through sinbad, and thats when i fell in love with ray harryhausens work, genius!

As I said above, watching that ed209 come alive really did change my life, its the most vivid moment of something affecting me, besides losing a relative, which when thinking about it is probaly why it makes me feel the way i do.
    There have been plenty other occasions where ive gone, god damn i wanna know so much how the magician made that damn thing move it was all magic to me!

Thats a hard one to remmber exactly when, but my 1st eureka moment was ruining my mums writing pads by scribbling loads and loads of real small pictures in the corners, and flicking through. Seeing something I made, explode nocked me for six haha.

Well the thing i most regret is ever putting that damn pencil down to go play in the sandpit, then football, then girls ;p yeah i chose art in school and took it for gcse, that was probaly the 1st time in ages I actually decided, there and then my path to fulfill

here i am, about 7 years later after the decision, and with plenty regrets. Im going to fulfill my dream and follow the path of Ray Harryhausen, Phil Tippett and Stan Winston, im going to make a career of bringing things alive.
    Im in no way doing this for the money, hey, if anything ive grown up in a family where all money ment was food was on the table, nothing more. Im doing it, mostly because it makes me go all giddy, like the 1st time i saw Sinbad and the 7th voyage, or robocop, or willow haha

Cheers great topic
    !!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only £1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    WHAT
    Stickman figures with huge penises and buts. Dunno why

WHERE
    Can`t remember. Probably in a park or at some museum

WHO
    hmm...Da Vinci , Carravaggio , Samura , Nihei , Giger , certain CAers and my girlfriend

WHY
    1) I can express my ideas to others 2) I can grow through it because many pieces are a mirror of myself. 3) Its the only thing i might be good enough to earn for a living

WHEN
    I first moved from hobby to serious about 2-3 years ago

HOW
    I will start at an german Art Acadamy next Oktober and after that i want/need to get comissions or work in an studio or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks

I can't remember the first, but OF the first was a picture of street where I would stand, never allowed to cross. o_O But it was autumn, so there was much colour in the pic! I was about 5 then.

I'm certain that I either drew outside in a park, or at a picnic/camping site.

I can't say. I mean, lots of people inspire me, but not to a great extent for some reason. It's not them, it's me! >_<

I've always wanted to "be an artist", it was in me to do it. No matter what challenges I had/have, I wanted to draw and colour! It's a deep longing that keeps me going.

Thing is, I don't think I have a handle yet! I keep having to start over, especially if I had to stop things for a while.

Everything I draw, I'll want to add to it. If anything, I want my detail and composition to really stand out! And I want to make interesting things and characters. I want to tell stories and share all of this with people around me.

Most of all, I want confidence in myself, and I want it to strengthen. As it is, I feel the worst about my art, more than anything else. I want to change that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Lost my internet connection when I first tried to reply, so I hope this doesn't come up twice.....

WHAT? My earliest drawings were of "princesses". It was finding some pre-school drawings my daughter made that got me thinking about this. They (hers and mine) all showed "princesses" with long hair and long dresses (with belly buttons showing through their clothes and tongues sticking out) Why do kids draw that way, do you think?

WHEN? About the same time,- I used to draw with chalks on the pavement, and my mum would come and scrub them out! :upset

WHO?: I really don't know, so many people; pronbably starting with thw animators at Disney!

WHY? I just am passionate about communication in all its forms, and drawing/painting is a universal language.

WHEN? I guess I worded that badly; maybe I should have said "springboard" instead of handle. When I realised that you can play around with proportion in a way the eye can accept (even if I don't have it nearly right yet)

HOW? Clueless; I'll just go with the flow....

Thanks
    What?:
    A picture of a fish that I drew from a picturebook about the flora and fauna in the netherlands.
    I was about 5 years old and my dad, who always was passionate about drawing but never pursued an artcareer himself, helped me with it.
    Come to think of it, I believe that moment triggered my love for art.
    Funny coincidence just now, I'm at my parents place at the moment and I just noticed that exact same book that started it all on the bookshelf next to me...oh memories *sniff*.

Where?: hmmm probably during highscool, after school hangin' out in the park with a bunch of friends.
    I always had to draw funny stuff in their notebooks.

Who?: too many but to name a few: Norman Rockwell, Phil Hale, Jon Foster, Shawn Barber...

Why?: I really can't explain why, I just am.

When?: Probably during the past year, I'm still not even close to where I want to be but I sure feel a lot more confident and happy with my work...and yes CA played a big role in that.

How?: more figure drawing, learn to paint with oils, environmental/architectural studies...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i think that was a cartoon character with a mohawk that i still ocassionally use today.
    first one i remember would be at my grandparents' summer cottage in sweden.
    i think when it comes to life and art in general,my biggest "wannabe-like" is andrew jones, that man is living art. on the art department it might be marko djurdjevic,for his ability to create people that you feel could exist in real life,and maybe wes burt for his incredibly tight rendering. although coro also comes into play because he mixes abstract and lifelike so well...hm.
    i guess those are the biggest,but alot of artists contribute to my passion alltogether.
    probably because there is so much bad in this world that i want to create alternate realities for people to escape to. maybe. also because it's one of the few things i really know i'm good at,and because it's hella fun.
    i think after the san fransisco workshop in 05...biggest inspiration hit yet (because it was my first),and showed me how much you can really aspire to.
    beside the obvious "get better" stuff,i want to be able to make a living from my art,and i want to become some sort of icon,someone who most people have heard of somewhere without really knowing him (so i can smilingly walk past them when i hear my name). long hard road,and i have yet to take big risks. guess i want to develop more selfconfidence aswell by the way...
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    - Disney's Goofy

- The park ( school assignment )

- too many ( old masters, Sargent, Zorn, Sorolla, golden age illustrators, and
    many contemporary artists with a decent knowledge of the basics )

- 1 of the things i enjoy the most, hoping to make a difference one day

- still not

- fast hopefully ( towards a Schmidt type of working with paints )
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    a space scene with all kinds of made up ships. I was about 8. the reason I remember so vividely. I used my dads double edge saver as an idea, when done, it looked a lot like what Darth Vaders fighter looked like years later.

In the mountains of NC, i was struggling with life and it was the most relaxing thing, maybe the first I ever did.

Frank Frazetta. sorry to be so Cliche', but it is , what it is.

I like the challenge and when successful, it seems very personal

I havent even come close.

My digital paintings need to be less "flat". I can get depth, I mean using colors to depict movement and shades and stuff. no matter how much I mess, I cant seem to graps it well enough for me. I want to get better at that,,,,,first. Then, there is everything else.

Thanks
    A hairy green monster/bear with a permanent marker in my father's prized leather-bound photo album from when he was living in Noumea. I got in so much trouble, I'll never forget it

Grand-ma's house in the french Alps. I was always outside as a child. Now if we're talking about a study in the outdoors, it would be in Montreal on the steps of Notre-Dame's church during animation school.

Too many to list. BUT I first loved Friedrich's romantic paintings.

Because animation can be difficult. It's such a challenge to a) design something believable that will touch the viewer (empathy or repulsion) and b) breathe life into it.

Well I hope to think I'll always learn something new! Every often I look back and notice something new... Like those feet sliding in Toy Story 2, something I had NEVER noticed before, even after 12 viewings and analysing of the film.

Become better of course, be a good director and help others evolve as well, share as many of my tricks and knowledge I can, inspire them, be famous, get rich, have 12 kids, white picket fence,... Just kidding on the last few ones

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.