Art: Going for the animated look
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Going for the animated look

i tried my hand at doing characters of my family and then some of my friends,
    i haven't really colored with the computer before either but it was quite fun.
    i was really just trying to go for the more animated character look, but this is more of a new and experimental style .

these are some dinosaurs, that i'm working on for a board game. once again going for both animated and appealing to kids.

so let me know what you think! i'd love to get your feedback!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PuddingBoy; April 29th, 2007 at 11:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The faces in your humans are good and distinguishable, a lot of personality can be read in them, so props on that! Their poses, as a whole, do read a little stiff by "animated" standards. A big part of this is the fact that you were lax with the feet, thus the poses do not feel weighted properly. Weight is essential in animation!

The next step would be to do 10 - 30 second gesture drawings to really get a more solid yet fluid feel to the poses. Also, try doing an expression sheet for one of the characters, you'd be surprised how hard it is to give a character a good range of emotion AND stay on model.

I'd like to see more from you as you push this style!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the dinosaurs remind me of We're Back, that animated movie about dinosaurs in NY a while back (like, a bunch of years. It was on cassette about a decade ago)

nice faces, though. I agree with Steph on the weight

Look, you know what I mean. You take a bunch of people who donít seem any different from you or me, but when you add them all together you get this sort of huge raving maniac with national borders and an anthem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude,

very cool stuff. I would love to do the voices for these characters - a whole bunch of goofey ideas just flooded my brain when I first saw your characters. Which is probably a good thing.

Good job

T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbourne View Post
    the dinosaurs remind me of We're Back, that animated movie about dinosaurs in NY a while back (like, a bunch of years. It was on cassette about a decade ago)

nice faces, though. I agree with Steph on the weight

Great stuff, and as said before by Steph, try to make a emotion sheet. I tried it myself, and it was harder than I thought. every emotion was a total different character. Someone told me a long time ago: The simplier the character, the harder it is to redraw perfectly...guess he was right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! thanks for your feedback everyone i really appreciate it!! mkay so i've been try to add weight and varied expression. these ones here are a bit more like a showing of my progress sense starting computer coloring. it's great the difference a week can make! hopefully i'm getting closer to the mark.
    this one is just me and my friends hanging out in the basement, probably watching LOST or Scrubs or something there's always a battle for the "comfy chair"

i've decided that i like the idea of pupils, now this first one of my sister and her boyfriend i can't take full credit for the look of it. i borrowed the composition and a color or two from a piece by Sean Holloway i believe? better known as Cheeks-74. what can i say the guy's a genius. the one after though i can take full responsability for! ...and they do love each other i swear

i'm still putting together an expressions sheet, so that'll be coming soon.

Last edited by PuddingBoy; April 29th, 2007 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot more movement in these poses and the crouching dude in the first pic has a nice sense of balance and weight. He does have an issue with tangents though - his outstretched lower arm is posed at an angle that touches the top of the chick's head and it's almost parallel to his calf muscle, which is a very similar shape to his lower arm... it looks like the arm continues into his leg, if that makes sense. These things might seem nitpicky but it creates an awkward point of focus - angling his lower arm slightly more upwards would break these tangents and make for a more dynamic pose.

With the pic of your sis and her boy, her feet are way too far back in space. She would have either be leaning way forward to be holding onto him, which she doesn't appear to be, or she would have to be literally hanging off of his shoulders with her feet off the ground. If you want to show the difference in height, you could pose her standing more on her toes, her more directed body language would draw more focus to their embrace.

With the final pic, there's great energy and expression going on, I think it's the strongest of the set. Your lineweight might benefit from using a cleaner pen tool (I reccommend Illustrator's pen tool to PS's anyday!) but I also think that the chick's expression, though probably very accurate to your reference, is a little over-rendered in comparison to the guy. You could lose some of the harsh cheek lines or smaller wrinkles, maybe have some more strands of hair flowing to create the sense of movement and emphasize the energy of the pounce. Long hair is a great tool for movement in animation

Can't wait to see those expression sheets

Last edited by Steph Laberis; May 1st, 2007 at 05:21 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.