Thanks

looking for some advice on getting into formal art education

I've spent most of my life thus far doing things like math and science, and as a result i dont have very developed skills when it comes to drawing or similar

what i would like to do is get into a fine arts type course, or visual arts, or whatever the particular institution calls it - basically, i want formal education where i will gain a solid appreciation for the basics and develop from there

i draw a bit - im so busy with finishing my current science course that i dont have much time, i do life drawing when i can. but the thing is, these courses all (to my knowledge) require a portfolio. i have no portfolio. catch 22 huh.

do you have any suggestions on where to start? should i identify what should be in a portfolio, then build one myself. using books or the internet and myself as a teacher? or is there a better way? id love some advice. have no doubt that i love drawing and painting.

one last thing, what are the key items that i should have in my portfolio?

thanks

-luke

edit: i am going to finish my current degree this year - but its after that which im talking about
    Last edited by lumar; April 20th, 2007 at 10:19 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    You could try the assignments in my Concept Art 101 thread. That'll give you a leg up and help you to build a portfolio. The link is in my sig. . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    thanks ill pick up on that thread once exams are out.

can anyone give me a few must-haves for a portfolio? what did you guys have in your early portfolios...

like.. a figure, a car, an environment, a fruit bowl or something.. ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    You will want to use your portfolio to demonstrate that you have a handle on academic basics: value, composition, color, etc.; and you will also want to demonstrate a familiarity with a variety of mediums, and a variety of working times (from sketch to long-term). Go easy on subjects from imagination. Pick a variety of subjects, and work from life frequently.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Seedling gives good pointers already.
    The concept art assignments and advice in her threads are very helpfull.

Depending on where you're living, if you want to have strong foundations in
    drawing and painting you might want
    to look at the courses and educations provided by private ateliers or schools
    teaching in a similar manner. Getting a handle on the academic basics that
    Seedling talks about may take quite a while so you want to make sure you
    pick the right school from the start.
    Contact and socializing with other art students can be very stimulating too.
    Using the internet and books is very helpfull off course but may be harder for
    some people to keep up the motivation and persevearance.

Hope everything works out
    Good luck
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    check out www.angelartschool.com

some informations are in there: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=547440
    my last long pose charcoal drawing: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95605
    a lot of my stuff from school and some more info: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60494

hope that helps!