Landscape
    Name:  DSC04635_resize.jpg
Views: 3225
Size:  186.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was completed over a few live figure sessions using Sterling Hundley's technique demonstrated in his latest video.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just spent all morning going through all 58 pages of these, and and I must say I am greatly impressed. So many of you are excellent artists, and I hope to be on your level someday!

So here are a few of my life-drawings/paintings:

The first is my first oil painting, done at the end of my freshman year of College, and the second is a photo of the set up for that painting. I am sorry that the painting appears to not match the colors of the still life..it was photographed under different lighting conditions unfortunately.

The third is a Black and White interior still life done with Prismacolor Nupastels near the beginning of my freshman year of College.

The fourth is a still life done in Adobe Illustrator near the end of my freshman year of College.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything on here has been really great! I hope you'll enjoy my contribution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all. I've been practicing my grisaille and thought I would post a few of my better ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oil on Canvas 12x16

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pt. Reyes, Drake's Beach

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fredflickstone View Post
    I think you have quite a defined style. It looks like you've worked a lot to get here...keep up the good work. I might want ot hang one of your works on my bedroom wall one day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

self-portrait

self-portrait, oils, one hour

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ooooils are so much fun

Oils, om nom nom :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread makes me wanna break out the painting supplies again- awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

gouache

self portrait oil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great paintings guys and great thread!

Here are few of mine:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait, unfinished:

A couple of recent quickies:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have returned from an exhausting week in Carmel. I participated in the Carmel Art Festival, one of the most prestigious plein air events in Northern California. This event attracts some of the best plein air artists from around the country, as far as Maryland and Florida even. From what I understand, it is very competitive and tough to get into, so I was delighted when I found out I had been accepted after my first time applying. Knowing what the competition is like, I came into it a little nervous. I must admit I am never nervous before these plein air events because I feel equal amongst my peers in most every event I’ve participated in. In this event, however, many of the painters I look up to and follow their work avidly, like Thomas Kitts, Larry Moore, and Paul Kratter. To be participating in an event with painters of this caliber is quite the honor. Nevertheless I arrived in Carmel psyched up and ready to paint landscapes harder than I have before.

DAY 1:

I started off the day by checking in to the event. There are a lot of rumours and input from artists and onlookers about this event. I guess it can’t be helped given the prestigious nature of the event. I won’t delve into all of that, but I will say that I knew what to expect. Therefore, the impersonal way they treated the participating artists didn’t much phase me.

I arrived to a fair amount of fog on the peninsula, so to escape it, I drove down to Garland Ranch Park down in the valley. This is actually a composite of two different views. I liked the light I was able to evoke in this painting, but I still have yet to satisfactorily depict middle-ground forests. I like parts of this painting but most of it is a dud to me.

DAY 2:

I woke up bright and early to journey down to Big Sur. So many amazing views of the coast makes it hard to chose something that hasn’t been done a million times. I tried to choose a point of view that isn’t too typical. The fog started off quite dramatic, but by the end it had mostly burned off. I think the most successful part of this painting is the sense of atmospheric distance I was able to pull off in the seacliffs.

This part of Big Sur is so incredibly dramatic and scenic that I knew I would have to choose something that wasn’t obvious or else I would end up doing a painting that would look like 3 other ones in the show. I picked a view that was possible the least dramatic, yet most simple compositionally, giving me a chance to play with texture and everything else. I really like how the texture in the foreground came out(doesn’t read as well on the computer screen unfortunately). Had I spent more time finessing the shapes of the trees into a more pleasing design, I would have put this one in the show for sure. Also, I would have unified the color of the ground with the color of the sky better. I took reference shots, so I will revisit this painting in the future.

This is a painting that just barely didn’t make the cut. It was an awesome view, and I think I captured the color of the scene pretty accurately. I also had fun with the palette knife work in the grass. It can be argued that I should have put it in, instead of the next one, but I think I am going to keep this one around as a study until I do a large painting of this scene.

It was about 3 pm by the time I finished these paintings, and I had pretty much out-painted myself by this point. I did a couple of wipers afterwards then called it a day.

DAY 3:

It was a beauuuutiful day at Point Lobos on Friday. Today was the day to make sure I painted something that really went for the gusto, so I purposely chose something ridiculously tough to paint. This was at the end of the North Point trail looking southward at the trail. There were a lot of painters at Point Lobos at this time, and I chose this view because I didn’t see anyone else painting something like this. I spent a good 3 hours, with my ass on some rock, hunched over, painting this scene. Between the hiking, the concentration, and the physical/mental demand of painting this scene, it drained me of my ability to paint for the rest of the day. I attempted to do another one later on in the day, but it wasn’t happenin’.

We had to bring our paintings in between 6 and 8 pm. Now it was the chance to see what everyone else had done and determine where this young upstart-noob stood among these seasoned veteran painters. There were some amazing paintings turned in! Some eye-poppers. Now was the chance to simultaneously relax and pick up whatever ego I had off the floor. I found it overall to be a very strong show. I went afterwards to have some food and beers at Clint Eastwood’s restaurant with Paul Kratter and Timon Sloane.

DAY 4:

I took a bunch of photos of the show in the morning. I put them together in this little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8SSVJM9bz3w

If you want to check them out individually, you can also check out this album here: Carmel Art Festival Exhibited Paintings on Facebook

Once I saw everyone else’s work, I went and painted at the beach to get myself a new painting to exhibit for the next day in case anything sold in the silent auction that evening. I tried to pull together all the motivation and inspiration I could put together from the last few days. I found this awesome little semi-secluded cove in Pebble Beach that had a shallow pool. The shallowness of the water turned the sand underneath a neat green-blue color that I tried to capture. So many different colors in the sand! I had a blast painting this one. I think it’s my best painting of the event. Almost sold it, even.

I went back to the exhibition to mingle with the artists and check out who won what awards. My favorite painting of the event, This painting by Stacey Barter was my favorite of the event, and it won two awards: Mayor’s choice, and Best Oil Painting. Rightfully so! There was also a nice little bidding war on the piece. Thomas Kitts stunningly painted this tree. He was able to sell this one, but the buyer got a great deal on it. Newcomer Gretha Lindwood was a hit in the Silent Auction! There was a patron determined to own both paintings. Wish we all could be so lucky! Speaking of fortune, my friend Carole Gray-Weihmann sold both of her paintings and snagged an honorable mention! Nice job!

DAY 5:

The event was not quite over. To end the event, we participated in the famous (and intimidating) quick draw. Most events have 3 hour “quick draws” which is the amount of time most painters spend on a painting anyways. With two hours to pick a spot, paint a finished piece, frame it, and put it up, it is truly a quick-draw! I quickly found this intimate little spot lit up beautifully in the morning. I was going to try to add the people, but they wouldn’t stick around long enough to paint them. Still, I am fairly satisfied with this painting, given it was about 1.5 hrs. worth of work.

Here's a short video of the quick-draw display

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=F6LX-BpN12o

The weather was unbelievable during the weekend! I was really anxious to find out if the weather would be good or as miserable as it had been during the last few years. The sun shined most of the time we spent painting there, luckily.

I’d say this event is only for the dedicated professionals. The pressure of the event would make most casual plein air painters fall on their brush-handles. I found the competition to be extremely motivating. It’s really set the bar in terms of skill to strive for, so I am determined to take that energy into the rest of the plein air season to reach a new level. And now… time for some sleep!

Newsletter

Facebook

Tumblr

Drawings For Sale

Prints For Sale

Google+

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Main Loop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I´m Marcelo, from Brazil.
    Name:  julia2pequeno.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  154.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  DSC_0770.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  161.7 KB

Pretty sloppy 2 hours life painting session. In my defence, terrible brushes! Should have brought my own, no excuse though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newbie here.

Is digital art allowed in this thread? I've been browsing through the thread but haven't seen any yet.

Name:  apple study no ref.png
Views: 829
Size:  226.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are my first oil portraits that I did of friends and lovers.
    Name:  2013-01-16 21.53.58.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  363.2 KBName:  2013-01-20 22.17.47.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  309.1 KB

Last edited by dethinate; January 20th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbt View Post
    Newbie here.

Is digital art allowed in this thread? I've been browsing through the thread but haven't seen any yet.
    I've been wondering as well. Now that you've had the courage to post some digital stuff here, here I go as well. If digital isn't allowed in here just let me know and the stuff will be gone asap.

These were all done from life:

Last edited by Benedikt; January 25th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gtreat job

Very atmospheric. The very Academic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent brushwork! Very reminiscent of Lucian Freud!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! Reminds me of Frans Hals Portraits of Dutch Children.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    havent been on this site in ages, came across it as I was doing an image search, felt like sharing some recent from life paintings with you guys, hopefully you accept them.

I like working from life half the time and do quick 1 shot alla prima paintings from life, lately ive been playing with style and paint. I also like to do more composed studio paintings but those are usually from working off a computer monitor from digital photographs. In my early work, working from life I realized I could get very realistic if I wanted, nowadays I am less concerned with that, would rather just make a statement and walk away but maybe I will go back to more realism when working from life, we will see.

Name:  beer and oysters.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  211.1 KB
    Name:  donut.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  241.5 KB
    Name:  green apple and pitcher.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  294.2 KB
    Name:  Green Apples with Glass.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  238.1 KB
    Name:  hillside.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  353.4 KB
    Name:  oranges and glass.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  257.1 KB
    Name:  oranges.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  374.6 KB
    Name:  plums and vase.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  233.6 KB
    Name:  red onions.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  376.0 KB
    Name:  reflections.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  380.3 KB
    Name:  richmond_beach.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  361.8 KB
    Name:  Rose with Jar.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  257.8 KB
    Name:  SkullOrange.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  342.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just back from a great week in London at LARA. Haven't painted in oils since last year (incidently at the same place!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

30 mins pastel drawing done while friend is rockin on his guitar, crits welcome:)

Name:  mrguitar.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  217.9 KB

first post here, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quickie of friend frankie, sittin in coffee shop

Name:  541051_581446481882618_865999190_n.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  466.2 KB