Sketchbook: Clocks! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clocks!

Clocks is offline I thought I looked like that rock! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to Page 2!

Well a very minor update today. Colored the character from yesterday and did a short TD in irc.

Name:  GunWieldingbbb1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  277.8 KB

Name:  tdFinal.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  273.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Clocks! Lookin' good!! Your character's proportions are still off, and the hands are still small. However, I actually like the balance you got going there! I think that part is pretty accurate! Parts such as the head, hands and arms, that will be something good to just practice on, perhaps individually. And maybe you might want to do some gesture drawings for overall proportion. Basic stuff (the "cylinders" and spheres).

I think the face profile is quite nice! It's a little hard to see. Maybe try darkening the pencil work. I surely wouldn't hold it against you if you did!

As for the creature, it...leaves me speechless. o_o Hmm hmm!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a lot of your stuff seems dependant on lines and colors either being on or off. lighting is such a key issue in makign a picture read really well and giving it feel, emotion etc. although these last post are really cool they would be so much stronger w definition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the guy's head and hands are much too small. It's a pretty solid drawing otherwise, though. The pose looks "flyswatted". Have a look at Prometheus tutorial here. (Do a ctrl-f for "fly-swatted"). And yeah -- if you're gonna color it, go for it! I wanna see depth!

That critter is cool too, but keep going with it.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Clocks is offline I thought I looked like that rock! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JazzW- Well I guess I was going for "Heroic" proportions but went a little overboard. I will have to work on my head/hand proportions in relation to the body.

kawakaze- Yeah I totally agree with you, thats something I've been struggling with. I think I often get the basic idea out and then just don't render it enough, which I guess I'll have to work on.

funfetus- thanks for the link! As I was drawing it, the pose seemed fine. But after I stepped back there was something not quite right. I'll try using more dynamic poses from now on.

Well today I got a few updates for today. Four IRC TD's I did from yesterday and today. Its fun having the competition, makes the time fly by when I'm drawing. Ok here are the TD entries (most of these were around 1 hour time limits):

Grotesque Voodoo Deity:
    Name:  Voodoo_Deity.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  216.3 KB

God's Assassin:
    Name:  God's_Assassin.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  196.6 KB

Clockwork Villain:
    Name:  Clockwork_Villain.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  265.7 KB

Pale Cyberpunk Pig:
    Name:  Cyberpunk_Pig.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  236.1 KB

Now that I look at the humans i see the hands are too small again, will be sure to work on that.

I have been doing some studies too. I just got a new sketchbook so I'll probably scan a couple pages tomorow.

Last edited by Clocks; June 19th, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Clocks! My favorite is the Pale Cyberpunk Pig, it's great
    As some others already said; More depth would make all your drawings much better, don't be afraid to try it.. just have a backup since it's digital anyways.
    On the first dude, check out the area around the neck/shoulder, it could use some work. Overall in your drawings I notice that the heads are getting better, and that the body proportions are not always correct. I suggest you do quick gesture exercises.. If you dont have a model just use a fashion folder.

Keep it up man, you are improving

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shea-- thanks a lot man! I'll post some gestures from my next figure drawing class.

K heres a page from my sketchbook. The contrast got washed out in the damn scan, which pissed me off cause it was a pretty good drawing... oh well . Just studies from some photos.

Name:  scan0011.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  259.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clocks, that critter on the tricycle thing is cool! Ha ha! Poor little thing doesn't know what it's in for. And the guy below looks to be in plenty of agony! I don't know if you purpose twisted the lower half of his face, but it sure adds to his anguish in this case!

I agree, in fact, about your improvement with faces! I can really see it! Keep it up. Also, keep up with adding more details. I totally see it in the latest sketch, and you do a very good job of it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JazzW- Thanks! Heh yeah i found that in a photograph surprisingly, cant imagine who would do that to their pet .

Heres a couple pages from my SB today. As I was scanning the first one, the paper folded over and bent the next 3 pages in the book with my work on them, so that was kinda annoying. It wasn't too noticeable though, thank god. BTW these are photo studies.

Name:  Middle_Eastern.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  179.0 KB
    Name:  bum.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  192.5 KB

Last edited by Clocks; June 22nd, 2007 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these last 3, particularly the flava flav looking guy are very nice. again just push the values. u can clearly see them from these last ones u posted. as far as your figures go, i really like some of the poses u are getting at. im not sure what your goal is overall though if u are looking for a realistic effect or whatnot. if so, just try and conquer those proportions, paying attn to all the minor details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice faces Clocks! You could use some sharper lines in certain area's, mech pencils are great Keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good updates -- you've been busy. You know already, but the proportions are still a little off on your assassin -- especially the tiny hands. Also, I don't think his sword arm can bend that way. It looks like his shoulder would be broken. Try putting your arm straight out like that and rotation it back that far -- can't even get close. If you want that kind of motion, his whole upper body should be rearing back somewhat.

Push your colored sketches more. There's not a lot of point in just blocking out a couple of big flat areas. Do some shading -- push the values, use more colors. Go for it!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kawakaze- Thanks a lot! I used to be going for a specific style but now I'm going for more realism so I will have to watch out for those proportions.

Sheavolution- I use a mechanical pencil for most of the sketch then a 4b for the darkest darks(at least thats what ive been doing recently). I agree about the sharper lines, I will keep that in mind.

Funfetus- Yes I agree on that assassin. I'll have to start doing some more gestures, I ran into another pose problem today as well . Ah and yeah I've been having some difficulty with my coloring, I will push it further in the future.

Here's something I did today for this week's CHOW: Ice Druid. I honestly wonder whether I should continue or not. I am mostly happy with it, but the basic pose and the costume bore me. I'll have to add in the other arm if i decide to continue, i deleted it because of an error in the pose.

Name:  Ice Droodbbbbbbbb.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  175.5 KB

Last edited by Clocks; June 23rd, 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And the award for most improved goes tooooo.........

Me

Just kidding, there is some real tangible progress in here and it's great to see you're having fun too. Anatomy books are great to help learn certain principles more quickly than just life drawing, but I suggest doing some more referenced drawing from real people than books (but you're doing a decent amount of selfies so that's good)

Anyways keep up the progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good man. You're very creative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clocks, just finish it. Even if it's not for the CHOW but just for yourself. It may bore you but like you said yourself, this pic isnt finished yet so alot can happen. Try to add some texture in the costume, some wrinkles and go mad with those values just do it. DOOOO IT :p Said it before, make a backup and go for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clocks I reckon you should finish it too. It's looking a lot more well fleshed out than a lot of your earlier posts, and his face is cool. It's got heaps of potential.

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You heard everybody else. Finish it! I think that ball of light could be a really dramatic light source.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also agree! Finish that CHOW off, Clocks! The clothing is plain, but...if all else fails, put a line somewhere on it, then figure out how to build that line into MANY lines, and infect that costume with a neat pattern or something! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff buddy, but let me ask

are doing some studies that you are not showing here or just does ones?

I think you would benefit from some detailed anatomy, figurative or whatever, studies

best

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I finished as much as I could but I hit a brick wall, and pretty much couldn't move forward at all. I think the reason I put flat colors on a lot of my pieces is because I don't know how to give it any depth.

I will be doing a lot of studies to remedy this, it REALLY pissed me off to say the least because I liked the sketch but I couldn't bring it to the next level with color, unfortunately. I think I am going to focus on values for the time being until I can get it down, then I will move on to color.

Anyways heres my finished version.
    Name:  Ice Drood.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  192.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this last one is very nice. great improvment in terms of proportions and overall form. when u are drawing figures under clothing esp drapes it may help to map out the body underneath even though u cannot necessarily see it. minor proportion details feel a bit off. i love how you are putting out so many of these but it would be awsome to see u take one and really push it to its limits. particularly in values. as of now he feels somewhat washed out. even though he is icey u should be able to throw in little shadow/highlight details to really make him come alive, doing this will help bring attention to the details which define his character. one really easy way to experiment w shadows/highlights is grabbing some toned paper or in your case start w a 50% gray layer and start adding shadows and highlights to it. but really try and push them to the extremes, at least using 5 values across the board. many often paint w grayscales initially and then do color overlays once everything has been defined. lighting is one of the most important things in bringing soemthing to life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kawazake- You are right, I am going to try and do more value studies.

Speaking of which, today I did a quick 1hour speedpaint, based off a photo. I was trying to study light and value with this. I used photoshop for this, which i haven't used for a while, and i think i learned a few things about it. I feel like i slacked off today but I will include more in tomorrow's update!

Name:  ValueStudy1 copy.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  91.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good effort with him, Clocks! I bet it would take me longer to get to that point. Ha ha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ice druid is cool looking. A few crits -- the hand is still too small. I think maybe when you draw a hand, you should just draw it bigger than you think it should be. I have the same problem with always making noses come too far down the face. I have to consciously think about shortening it. I think some drapery studies would really serve you well -- this would be a much stronger piece if we got some nice bunchiness in the fabric. And unless he's wearing a fitted tunic of some sort, the fabric shouldn't follow the line of the body "in" below his chest -- it should always hang straight down, or follow a body part "out". Also, the whole thing is really high key -- I'd like to see a more full range of values.

As for your speedpaint, the drawing is good. If you're studying value, though, I'd advise against using photos, because photos often fail to capture the full range of value that's really there. The whole left side of his face is just black shadow -- ideally, you should have hardly any pure black on your canvas. Shadows are transparent, and should still show detail -- albeit darker detail with a lot less contrast.

Keep going!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JazzW- thanks, i was surprised myself by how it turned out.

Funfetus- Thanks for the crits. Yeah that druid turned out pretty bad IMHO, but oh well. It got me motivated to improve at least . As for the speedpainting, I picked it for the dramatic lighting but I agree its too dark. I'll try doing some more self portraits.

Well for today I have a few things from my life drawing class and also my Week 01 Assignment from the Spartan Training Camp in the Community Activities section.

These two were 30 minute poses:
    Name:  LifeDrawing1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  353.5 KB
    Name:  LifeDrawing2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  151.9 KB

And this one was a 45 minute pose:
    Name:  LifeDrawing3.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  348.0 KB

And here are the gestures from the Week 01 Assignment:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...0&postcount=25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see ya drawing from life!
    I think you need to pay attention to feet and hands a lil there. There's all sorts of interesting bumps and lumps around ankles and wrists and I think you're sorta skipping over that. Also don't be afraid to put that graphite onto the paper! Your lines seem quite faint.

Keep working!

I'll see you in the Training Camp #2.

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy ... good to see that you are keeping your pencil busy

like your progress and your figurative stuff ... it is also cool to see that you are getting involved in a lot of differente things to get you pumping with new drawings!!

only one thing, have you tried doing some more quick gestures drawings? like, 30 secs pose? can be from photos or if you can, in the park is even better ... is really good to do some of those and then go to one for 30 minutes ... you see a lot of difference

keep up the good work

best

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work, Clocks. Your life drawing seems to be improving. The proportions on these are better than we've seen before. Now, apply that to your imaginationed pictures. You still do have a slight tendency to make the hands and feet too small. When you're drawing from the model, remember to measure the parts against each other. Do that hold-the-pencil-at-arm's-length-and-measure-with-your-thumb thing if you need to. Your eyes play tricks on you sometimes, and you gotta outsmart em. The gestures look good -- that thread sounds like a good idea. If there's one thing that's gonna get you good, it's just plain tons of drawing. Keep it up, man.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cwn Annwn- Thanks for the crits. The hands and feet are my worst areas. I always leave them blank until the very end. Probably a bad habit, i need to do some more practice on them.

Brunopicinini- I included a few pages of gestures in my last update. I'll do some more this week though.

Funfetus- Thanks. Haha, I just can't seem to get those hands right. Yes thats a good idea, i don't use that pencil-sight technique as much as I should.

Today's update, I'll include a study I did of a Jon Foster illustration, and a thing I did in my Sunday life drawing class.

This study took me a couple days. I'll link the original picture for you, here. Check this guy's site out if you haven't, he's an amazing illustrator! My study doesn't do it justice but I learned some things in the process so I'm happy.
    Name:  FosterStudy_14.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  168.2 KB

And here's something I did in my life drawing class.
    Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  269.0 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.