Sketchbook: Clocks!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clocks!

Editted the pics here to my second update.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Clocks; December 18th, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Clocks good start to a sb, I say you must get messy with anatomical studies and you'll improve fast!

to change the thumnail, you'll simply attach a new mini to your first post!

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Clocks, really nice start!
    Keep drawing a lot, and work in specific areas. Repetition is the
    key to master things like perspective, gesture, etc
    Your proportions seem pretty good already, keep watching those
    i

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasker- Thanks a lot! Yeah I need to start doing more anatomy studies... ill wait till tomorrow haha.

Banshax- Thanks man, yeah I agree, just gotta keep drawing!

Alright well I figured I'd update with a few sketches I did tonight. I'm not sure about the lines... I'm sort of experimenting with the way I sketch but I'm not sure whether its turning out good or not. Anyways here they are.

Me!
    Name:  Self Portrait.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  372.8 KB

portrait of my dad
    Name:  Portrait 1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  297.4 KB

Sistine Chapel Studies
    Name:  SistineStudy1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  221.4 KB

Name:  SistineStudy2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  SistineStudy3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  271.7 KB

CHoW Entry I did
    Name:  06 - Private Eye Concept.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  83.5 KB

Random things.

Name:  Random Sketches 1.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  416.7 KB

Name:  Random Sketches 2.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  276.2 KB

Last edited by Clocks; July 26th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I did a portrait sketch today from a photo and I tried to paint the goblin from yesterday's update. Not sure why they keep turning out so waxy and muddy looking. Crit away!

Name:  Portrait 3.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  373.6 KB

Name:  Random Sketches 22224.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  120.9 KB

Oooops forgot to do anatomy sketches today... Ill post up some Hogarth studies tomorrow I guess.

Last edited by Clocks; April 20th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. thanks for the PM, like I said when I responded I will think about your question. You are off to a good start, I wouldn't worry so much on creating a focus at this point in your development. Learn your human anatomy, you'll hear it just about everywhere you look and people say it for a reason - it's 110% necessary. Search around the site and download the loomis pdf's and they will give you a great starting lesson in many aspects of figure drawing, which is more/less a prerequisite of being a concept artist like you were talking about you wanting to do in your PM. It's really important to try to balance your studies - try to keep equal amounts of concept work with equal amounts of ref'd, and life studies. Don't worry about going digital, buying a tablet, or any of that stuff, become proficient with a pencil and a piece of paper first. Judging by the work you show you still have a long way to proficiency, but with a little humility and hard work you'll get there quickly. Master your values in gray scale, and remember not to bite off more than you can chew. I say that because making the jump into digital painting puts you in a situation where you're learning about coloring, composition, values, anatomy, all that stuff all at once which is a huge task to undertake for any artist, regardless of innate natural ability. Keep working at those pencil portraits, and draw some cool monsters and whatnot along the way. For the pencil work that you have shown here one thing that bothers me is the extremely light values you use.

Hope this info works for you. Keep it up, and don't forget your studies. You'll see the improvement for yourself in no time.

Good luck!

sep

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy
    nice start!

just one thing that I think it would help ya is trying to do more use of edges and lines ... like, vary then, do a big fat outline, places lit a thin line, places far away thin lines, etc etc ... that would increase drastically the quality of your drawings

check the concept art guide from prometheus, i think you can find it at the tutorials section or fine arts studies ...
    it is a VERY good guide

cheers
    keep up

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sepulverture- Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah I always notice that my portraits are way too light but I guess I'm just afraid to be too hard with my pencil. In this update I tried to be a little darker with my lines but I'm not sure if it turned out as dark as I'd like. And as for your figure drawing suggestion- yeah I'm going to start right away. I think I might still try to do some digital painting on the side for fun but your right I need to focus on my pencil drawing first.

brunopicinini- Yeah you're right all my lines are sort of a fixed width, I'll try to work on that!

I did a selfportrait yesterday and spent SOOOOOO long on it (seriously like 4 or 5 hours straight). I thought it was coming along really nicely and I was pretty hyped about it. After I finished I took a few steps back to look at it from a distance... and it looked nothing like me haha. Well needless to say I was pretty mad at myself for just blindly drawing for 5 hours and ending up empty handed, so thats why I didn't post yesterday.

Today I decided to take people's advice and do some anatomy study. I got Bridgman's book and its actually pretty cool. I think I'm going to try to do at least a page a day (of anatomy studies). I've tried to do Loomis's books before but for some reason I wasn't able to finish them. I'll give it another shot though and see how it goes. Well here's todays updates:

Bridgman studies: (Wow that guy on the left has some short legs hahaha)
    Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  301.8 KB

Portrait from photo ref (can you guess who it is? haha probably not but it would be fun if someone could.)
    Name:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  209.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, another update!

Well in my last update I talked about my self portrait and how it turned out so poorly. Unfortunately its for class so i couldn't scratch it completely. I tried to turn it around and fix it, and I think I came out with decent results. I spent most of my time doing that and so I only had time for one page of studies today and no digital paintings . Oh well its my last project this year so I can devote more time to fun stuff from now on!

My Self Portrait, added some armor to make it more interesting

Name:  IMG_1143.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  360.0 KB

Some studies I did, top two are Hogarth studies and bottom two are Bridgman. Mixing them up seems to make things more interesting (for me at least).

Name:  Studies.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  328.9 KB

Well I'm gonna try to include some concepts next update so STAY TUNED!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch your shadows, in some cases is too much. Your last portrait is REALLY COOOL and makes my point, great balance of lines and shading. Great SB man. Keep updating.

DEMO REEL

MYSKETCHBOOK

DeviantID

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BoneFragments

Bridgman, Hogarth and the boys...... This is where we all learn <> learn to analyze not copy <> what is important is why before how. IF you understand the why the how becomes much easier.

Always ask yourself what the line you are about to draw is accomplishing what is it describing where does it start and where does it end <> once you know what you know what you want your line to do then do it.

To just copy to copy is a waste of time.

You are doing the right things now just do the right things better.

Thanks for dropping by my thread and fueling the fire....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude, good for you for starting up a sketchbook.

great to see you studying bridgeman. He is absolutely awsome to learn from. You might also want to check out some of loomis's free books online. Both are great teachers.

Keep doing those self portraits, they seem to be a great way to understand faces better.

Also, keep pushing your values. They seem a bit light here and there. Try to keep your tones as contrasted as possible to really help things pop out. Some might also suggest that you not worry too much about shading right off the bat until you have a good understanding of form. Try to draw with just lines as much as possible as this helps the most with form.

Um, what else...oh yea, life drawing is also very helpful. Pick random objects of different shapes, sizes and textures and draw them.

good start so far, just keep going

later,

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KromNz- Hey, thanks for stopping by, I'll keep that in mind.

mentler- I think there has been a few times where I have caught myself just copying. I kept that in mind while doing today's studies and I think I got a lot more out of it. Thanks for the comment!

Wake101- Thanks for the advice, I agree about the values. As for the still lives I'll include some of my previous ones just cause you said that haha. I thought they were too boring to post but oh well I'll see what the reaction is I guess.

OK STILL LIFE TIME!!!! Note: If you aren't into still lives don't worry, I don't have the patience to do many of these!

Pencil -
    Name:  Still Life 1.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  278.3 KB
    Charcoal-
    Name:  Still Life 3.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  441.3 KB
    Pencil Again-
    Name:  Still Life 2.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  370.8 KB
    Watercolor-
    Name:  Still Life 5.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  282.4 KB

And a couple pages, well one and a half... of studies. First page is from Hogarth second is from Bridgman. I tried to think about every line and yeah it really did work a lot better than before.

Name:  HeadStudy.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  297.5 KB
    Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  277.7 KB

I said I'd put in some concept work last post but I don't have any time to whip anything up... I have a final portfolio review tomorrow and I have to fix a still life for it. So I'll try to do some tomorrow instead!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pencil work Clocks, you have improved a lot. Keep it up.

DEMO REEL

MYSKETCHBOOK

DeviantID

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KromNz- Thanks man! Yeah I'll definitely keep with it.

Today's update is pretty meager. I got in a bad mood after I tried to do a couple concept sketches and they turned out like shit... i think I kind of realized how much I lack knowledge of anatomy.

Just did some more anatomy studies today. Focussed on the legs because those were what kept screwing up my concept sketches.

Name:  Anatomy Study.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  254.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright time to update. This stuff is from yesterday but I didn't get a chance to post it.

Random character I did (anatomy references used for some parts of it)-
    Name:  Concept Samurai Man.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  218.0 KB

Some arm studies-
    Name:  Arm Studies.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  341.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok today I had to devote a lot of time to this still life so its all I did today. I'm doing it for an assigned drawing for an application so I hope its good enough. The lighting wasn't amazing when I took the picture so the values aren't as intense as they should be. Ok enough excuses here it is.

Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  212.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright well unfortunately I haven't been updating as much as I thought I would be. I'll try to keep it more consistent from now on. Here's some stuff I've been doing from my sketchbook. I've been working a lot on faces but I think i need to spend some more time on bodies. These are all from the mind by the way.

Random face practice -
    Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  131.7 KB

Tried to do a sort of post-apocalyptic character.
    Name:  Character 1.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  152.1 KB

OK well thats it for this update!

Last edited by Clocks; May 3rd, 2007 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job man! I need to start doing some head studies too! I noticed you seem to be putting the eyes too high on the head, remember they are in the middle! If you can get a copy of Andrew loomis's book "Heads & Hands", there are some great tips for constructing heads. The book is out of print, but i know there are some online PDF's floating around....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sealegs- Thanks for the crit on the eyes that helped a lot actually. I think (hope) I fixed that in the characters this time, tell me if I still got it wrong. I do have that book actually but I never really went through and read it. I'll try to give it a shot.

Well I just did a couple character sketches. Also did a portrait in Painter today that I think turned out alright (based off photo ref). I think I'm going to try to do some more digital painting cause its so much fun haha. Ok well here goes:

A Couple character sketches I did.
Views: 593
Size:  175.4 KB

The digital portrait I did.
    Name:  Speedpaint 1.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  62.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well today I did a couple of random speed paintings. Alien and chicken-man. Let me know what you think

Name:  SP01cb.jpg
Size:  189.8 KB

Name:  SP02.jpg
Size:  102.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here's today's update. Quick speed paint and some head sketches. No refs used on these. I think I'm going to try to do some more finished pieces from now on, doing a bunch of half-assed stuff is getting boring now. Ok here we go.

Name:  Speed Paint.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  97.8 KB

Views: 614
Size:  121.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeeello. I have been practicing a couple new techniques in my face drawings, let me know if anything is off. Here's a few sketches I did today:

Views: 663
Size:  262.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Clocks, some nice studies you got going here
    About the latest face drawings: you tend to draw ears too small and eyes too big. The eyes in the upper right drawing are placed a little too high and maybe his ear is placed a little to far back which makes his jaw look huge. I dunno, it should be acurate when I check it by myself (or maybe I just have a weird head ), but there's something awkward about it.
    Try to define with shapes and value changes rather then with lines, it will make your drawings come to life.
    Other then that it looks quite good I think, especially the nose and mouth in the upper left drawing.

I kinda skipped through the comments here, but I noticed Mentler's comment, he really made an excellent point...just wanted to emphasize that.

You said in my SB that my work inspired you to sketch more. First of all, I'm very flattered second of all, those are the moments you must take advantage of. When you get that inspiration rush, those are usually the moments when your work turns out best and when you actually improve.

Anyways, keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rudeone- Thanks a lot for taking the time to critique me! Now that you mention it I can see those anatomical errors, I will try to fix them in my next drawings. Also I'll try using values instead of lines and see how it works out. I got kind of frustrated with my sketching so I stopped for a couple days haha, but I'll keep at it.

Ok well heres a couple quick paintings I did today:

Self Portrait-
    Name:  Self Portrait11.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  96.2 KB

Random character-
    Name:  Speedpaint.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  39.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another self portrait today. It was turning out bad at first but I think i turned it around and made it somewhat good. OK!

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  137.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, did another self portrait today. This one I tried using flesh tones.

Name:  Untitled-33.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  137.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, Clocks. I especially like the self-portraits, both the digital ones, and the pencils up at the top. The blue one is probably your best piece on this sketchbook. It has really solid form. Keep it up!

Also: Is that Roy Batty up there?

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    funfetus- Hey nice to see you here, thanks for takin a look! Yes it is Roy Batty! Your the only one to notice so far haha.

Well today was pretty fruitless. All I got was one painting halfway done. Sometimes I feel like my imagination isn't very good... wonder if there's a way to fix that? And it always works out that I can't come up with any ideas during the day when I try, but while I'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep I'll think of a cool idea and it will be really vivid in my mind, but I'll just be too tired to get up and go do it haha.

Regardless, after reviewing today's work I have resolved to always think up strong concepts before starting to paint. Ok well here we go...

Name:  Untitled-12.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  25.1 KB

I'm going to try to do a master study tomorow so look for it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy how are you?
    I&#180;ve just send a pm to funfetus so I think I will be joining your SSG #44 ... the OH fighting #44 hehe

well, I like your studies, bridgman and everything ... what mentler say is absolutely truth ... you must try to put a big "WHY?" in everything you draw ... why this line is here? why this lione is convex not concave? why the core shadow is here not here? why the sky is blue? etc etc etc hehe

so, I thing I could recommend you is to take a look at betty edwards book the classic drawing in the right side of brain or the one by Bert Dodson "keys to drawing" book quite cheap at amazon ...
    I&#180;ve just bought the latter and I&#180;ve heard good thing about it ...

Is those books that teach you how to see... I&#180;ve bought also bridgman book, but I&#180;m gonna study first how to see and draw what I am seeing so after I can start studying anatomy and other stuff since I will already have a previous knowledge on how to "see" ,)

hope that helps

best regards

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.