Troubles on a New Piece
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Troubles on a New Piece

Heya all. I have been res'dddd! Anyway, I'm working on a new piece... which is rather challenging!! It involves perspectives I'm not used to drawing as well as positions I'm not used to. I'm alright when drawing from life but this is just rediculous... I need some guidance.

The file is attached.

Basically I'm having trouble getting his legs to look correctly. I've never had the opportunity, even in life drawing to sketch a nude male sitting in this position and I can't get the foreshortening on the legs right.. or I am halfway there at teh very least. Also, I tried to make it look like he's stretching his neck up and he's got his head cocked back in a very smarmy manner. Anatomy problems, urghk. It is worth noting that his legs are not meant to be out forwared but splayed out... as in, if he didn't have that tabard he'd be strutting his stuff in a very vulgar way...

(there are gonna be demon chicks swarmed all over him in the final)

Just please... I'm not saying abuse the hell out of it, but give me some pointers at least as to how to draw some of this. I'm sitting here trying to figure quite a bit of it out by myself.

Sorry it's so rough -- wanted to iron all this out before i got -too- far

Thanks,
    Brittany

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have a mirror big enough, sit in a chair in front of it.
    Or maybe you can get a friend to pose for you.
    You may not get the muscles you want, but at least you will get the perspective.
    One thing that's awkward right now is the way the picture cuts off right at his ankles. It gives an "amputated" look and that generally isn't a very good thing to do in a composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the head looks too small for the body, and some of the other anatomy is an issue. As already said, just try working from the human figure, after you have you have got that down, you can start to experiment with proportions and everything. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emily g
    If you have a mirror big enough, sit in a chair in front of it.
    Or maybe you can get a friend to pose for you.
    You may not get the muscles you want, but at least you will get the perspective.
    One thing that's awkward right now is the way the picture cuts off right at his ankles. It gives an "amputated" look and that generally isn't a very good thing to do in a composition.
    -smiles- Funny enough, that's my biggest problem. I can eventually pull anatomy and color off but i always position the guy in the wrong damn place or something. A whole class on composition would be nice. Can't wait to get out of Community College. I can probably get my boyfriend to pose for me... you're right. That would be the best way to go. I'm not concerned about the muscles in that sense, as they can be filled in later. The perspective is the important part. I thought of posing myself but I am female and I thought it might throw things off.

@vallan1: yeah... it takes sooo much work! But I'm getting there. This is a far cry from the crap I was producing a year ago so I think it's progress at least. This is a hard perspective for me for some reason. I was trying to make his head look slighty cocked back and I wasn't sure how to pull it off -_-.

But, as I said... I think I will learn a great deal if I have my boyfriend pose for me and draw this perspective from life.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.