Art: Question for all artists

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question for all artists

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question for all artists

Hey everyone, been a long time since I have been here but had a question for everyone. I have returned to drawing and am now planning to go to school this fall for art and I have recently picked up an art book to help get back into drawing again, the one thing it states at the begining of the book is the way a pencil should be held, it says that when drawing, you should hold the pencil as if you were holding a brush or a stick and not like a pen.

Now, I have never drawn like that, I have always held my pencil as if I was writing something and I was just curious to know how many others hold their pencil when drawing like a brush and if they find it easier to draw like this and why.

I am trying to draw like that and it is difficult, which of course would be expected, and as such things look pretty bad right now, lol. But the book has exercises to help with the switch from pen holding to brush holding, so Im giving it a shot.

Anyways, just curious to how everyone tends to draw and their feelings on it.

Thanks for your all your info.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you posted this in the wrong forum 0.o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah its in the wrong place, but dont worry it'll get moved.

to answer the question.. holding it like that involves specific techniques to achieve certain results. a more gentle sweeping motion, and it teaches you to relax your hand and to focus more on the movement of your wrist.

many artists do it, many dont. i cant say 'thats THE way to draw' but someone else might. i dont do it.. though i HAVE done it. i prefer another way. but thats me. and usually.. thats the best way to draw anyway.. find what works for you.. just my 2 cents. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ye prob the wrong place for this, but ill answer it anyway cause I think its and interesting question, u should really hold the pencil the way you want too and fell comfortable and relaxed with, and hell with those "do this and do that" i personally hold every time of panting/drawing tool the same way, and that is also the same way I hold it when writing…¨

I guess my point is that everyone is different and you should do what you feel is best^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are as many ways to hold a pencil as there are artists pushing them around. The thing to do is to find out what kind of lines you get from the different ways of holding the "mark-maker."(this term encompasses all means of making a mark on a given surface, that's the business we are in) There isn't one way at all. You will find a comfortable means of holding the mark-maker, but do not let yourself be limited to or thing you have to make all of your art by holding the mark-maker a certain way.
    Regardless of how you hold the mark-maker, make sure you consider the whole of your arm, even you shoulders and the rest of your body in wielding the tool.

Never settle for a technique, continue to challenge yourself and you will continue to grow as an artist. Go forth and mark-make your ass off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hold it like a pen, though the side of my palm tends to smudge everything. To each his own though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are is a good reason for holding a pencil like a brush and not a pen.. ,as mentioned already, will enable you to have a more fluid motion that will enable you to use your whole arm not just from your wrist down, this comes in handy more when you are drawing big, I find it especially useful in gesture drawings. You will learn more about those in school, if you have not already. Gesture drawings, line drawings, drawing from life, contour line drawings, using open color, design, composition. etc etc etc. there is so much to learn.

I myself feel so far behind I am sometimes overwhelmed by all the information there is out there to be absorbed.. learning is truly life long!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try holding it like a conductors baton for making larger sweeping strokes, and hold it further down like you are writing when articulating details. There is no Right or Wrong, but this is a good rule of thumb to start with.

-Jeremy Deck

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14264...-h/14264-h.htm
    The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Practice & Science Of Drawing, by Harold Speed.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20165...-h/20165-h.htm
    Theory and Practice of Perspective, by G.A.Storey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for all your input, the main reason I had asked was because I have not actually seen anyone hold their pencil this way for some time, and started to wonder if it had died out and now everyone pretty much held it as if it were a pen.
    I completely understand the pluses to holding it like a paint brush which is why I am giving it a shot drawing this way, especially since, as ChocoNumNum said your hand can smudge the picture if your not careful. (Which is why I work from the right side to left ).

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To add my hint, I mostly use this technic to shade and make a rough sketch. Using a writhing position when drawing detail and such.

Also, if you don't feel confortable at all using this technic, I found that cutting the pen 50/50 so is 100% inside your hand make it feel more confortable. You get to waste 1/3 of the pen tho=\

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what has been said before- it's good to be able to do both. At this point I start off nearly every drawing holding the pencil like a brush, and at a certain point I switch to holding it like a pen- usually when I'm getting to the details, but sometimes just because I want a particular type of line. These days I try to stay in the first part as long as possible, since it forces me to stay general.

Note that when holding like a brush you can choke way up on it- sometimes I hold it such that my index finger is actually on the back of the lead. Difficult to describe I guess, but the point is that when you are holding the pencil like a brush you don't necessarily have to hold it in a certain place all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hold it like I right when doing very fine details. I hold it stiffly between the index and middle finger when doing sketchy details. I hold is loosely in the same position when doing light work. I cannot work how some tell you to, by holding it in the palm area; feels too loose, as if I am going to drop the pencil. I like to be in control, a control freak you see. I try to avoid smudging, but sometimes it cannot be helped.

I might add, I use the TK9400 lead pen in 2H, 2B, 4B, and 6B. This is awesome as I can have as much lead as I wish without ruining the thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your drawings would be so much looser if you kept drawing holding your pencil in whatever way you feel comfortable and free with.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.