Mayan landscape

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mayan landscape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mayan landscape

A recent squiggle im finishing. I was thinking about the Mayan long year calendar and thought up a reason why it might end, what with the violent sort they could sometimes be.

Mayan landscape

I know there are some very major flaws in the way i've made this image, but im not sure what they are. Im looking more into colour, composition perspective and tone rather than actual objects i've forgotten (like the support which should be under the other bridge.) Could someone help a brother out?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Prismatic

Endling is better than mending.
    The more stitches, the less riches.

Ad Hoc Scribble Archive
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Atmospheric rendering: you've dulled out the colours in the far background and that's good! One thing that bothers me though is that some of the colours of that explosion match the colour in the structure in the foreground. I'd suggest give the structure more of a red hue.

Perspective in the foreground is a 'little' extreme but those small grey structures in the mid area are leaning tower of piza towards us much too much.

in temrs of composition...how about moving the explosion a little more to the left? The strong black in he foreground takes me attention first and then leads into the clouds and then to the left...if the explosion was along that border you would create a good circular motion.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with :Ian Mack: on the issues about the explosion color and the back buildings. I'll add to that, that they seem to be a bit off perspective...

What I think might be a Problem is that you have highlighted the buildings a little too much. An it's a little very sharp, try to add some distance by bluring that right side back building...

All I have to say. I can't say I'm better, but I try to help if I can ^^

Definition of courage: Beeing scared shitless and still going for it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's some crazy pespective scheme you've chosen. It looks like your horizontal field of view is about 80 degrees, which is basically a fisheye lens. But you seem to have a much different vertical field of view. Besides, if you're going to do a realy wide FOV picture, it's best to keep the aspect ratio of your pic closer to square. Fisheyes look really disconcerting when they're cropped.

Also, there's a real disconnect betwen the background and the foreground. Your horizontal FOV is so wide, you shold be seeing way more of the horizon and sky. You've really only got one cloud in that sky. Go outside and hold you arms at 80deg apart, and take a look at how much horizon is in between your hands.

I'm not sure why you'd chose such a wide FOV anyhow, since the image composition doesn't seem to need it. But for the sake of my own exercise, I decided to take a crack at repainting the image with the crazy fisheye perspective and long aspect ratio intact. Below is the result (I didn't do the mushroom clouds):

Mayan landscape

I had an old five-point perspective grid I'd made years ago kicking around. I parked your picture in it and scaled and moved it until I got as close a match as possible on the vanishing points. Then I clipped out that portion of the grid and pasted on top of the original picture to use as a reference perspective grid. I did a line drawing in perspective based on that. For the colors, I just did a GIS for Mayan Pyramid and picked the first one I liked to use as a color scheme.

Mayan landscape

Mayan landscape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou so much for that guys. Thats rediculously helpful x_x I dont really finish much of my digital stuff because I always bugger up something crucial in the begining. You're right about the composition I think Ian. I stuck the explosion in just where the stylus landed first and never thought about where it would sit best and I'd always thought that the colouring was off but never figured out how.

I'd assumed that a fisheye king of view might work sort of like a panorama and by the time i'd finished sketching it out I was so used to the image I didnt notice how stretched it looked. I also had a lot of trouble texturing the stone to look like.. well stone. I used stock photographs I took of concrete close up and just couldnt apply them properly :/ and iPoke is right, the walls were rediculously bright and I couldnt for some reason figure out how to up the contrast. Had this notion in my head that the sun was low in the sky so the walls should be brighter or something. Lots more practise to get in I guess.
    I might start a new scene based on the same image. If i started this one again i'd just end up inevitably stealing little bits and bobs from YVerloc's version :p and then i wouldnt learn anything. Though from your rendering of it, you've cleared up 12-14trillion billion little things that I couldnt get my head around when I was working on it. Cheers again guys. The capacity for the users of this website to be genuinely helpful never ceases to amaze me.

Incidentally how did you make that 5 point perspective grid?

Prismatic

Endling is better than mending.
    The more stitches, the less riches.

Ad Hoc Scribble Archive

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.