CHOW #68 - Guest Host: Poshspice. Topic: Mr. Hyde

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ROUND #68

PLEASE CONSOLIDATE YOUR WIPS AND FINALS INTO YOUR FIRST POST.

CLEARLY DESIGNATE YOUR FINAL.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.
    You will receive votes for every successful representation of the topic elements. The ammount of votes will be listed in the round topic. Description is optional.

Please save your files starting with your nickname.

example: "Oblio_CHOW23_Platformer33 copy copy.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

(you can add CA logo, etc).
    -------------------------
    DEADLINE
    SUNDAY, 22nd
    The way the deadline works: if deadline is on a Sunday and your image is posted on that Sunday 23:59 your local time it's a good entry.
    In fact - as long there is Sunday somewhere on the planet your entry is ok. I will make the poll sometimes Monday afternoon my time (GMT +2) yet i'll have a look at the last entries.

--------------------------

Mr Hyde

Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice
    Hello again Oblio,

Actually I've just thought of one. I don't think it's been done yet...

How about:

Mr Hyde. Most of us know of the story 'The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson, and it has been played around with in many ways in the cinema. Mr Hyde actually being female at least once in 'Doctor Jekyll and Sister Hyde'! And reinterpreted in movies like 'Van Helsing' and the awful but visually impressive 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. So taking that as a starting point, redesign Mr(!) Hyde, and if you want, include Dr Jekyll too (but that's not essential). I'm not going to give a description of the character this time, as a little bit of research should be required by anyone setting out to follow a brief. But it must be specific to the period the book was written, that is the only requirement. This means you have a lot of free rein in appearance etc, but the character must be time specific. When? Find out...

Topic elements:

1 = Set in the period Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was written

Now concept!!

Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 3 VOTES for each topic covered.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PRIZE! THE WINNER OF THIS ROUND WILL SELECT THE TOPIC OF THE NEXT ONE!

And will assist me in selecting the entries for the poll. In one week we'll have a new client.Vote him now

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actualy just saw the movie where Michael Caine plays the doctor and this evil side. Quite Hilarious at some parts, but Michael Caine still pulls it off. Needless to say, i'm on for this one, for sure.

(and I've read the book, suckas)

- V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this sounds like it will lead to some awesome images... im going to take a stab at it. (hopefully ill finish this time too.)
    Unfortunately my piece was just not ready for CHOW so I'll try again next week. Good luck everyone!

Last edited by Clocks; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic, I'll definitely do something for this round. Another good topic from Poshspice.

It's interesting to note that what was considered shocking back then is a lot milder today; from what I remember, Mr Hyde only actually killed one person, and aside from that, he just drank, slept around, and caused a bit of mischief.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in.

edit: Ran out of time due to another project -maybe next week.

Last edited by Tenno; April 22nd, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK!
    IF THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN SKETCHES OR PAINTINGS - REPRIMAND ME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Animation load times and frame rate may vary.

Last edited by FlipMcgee; April 22nd, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    comin' in...
    ... at least I'll try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Campbell
    It's interesting to note that what was considered shocking back then is a lot milder today; from what I remember, Mr Hyde only actually killed one person, and aside from that, he just drank, slept around, and caused a bit of mischief.
    Adding to that information, it should be noted that he's described as small and gollumish rather than hulkish in the book, mind you. Have fun, guys 'n' gals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i'll give it a go, sounds like it could be a good'un.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe sounds like fun! i will try to find some time for this

heres a first quick sketch:

Last edited by Vahn; April 17th, 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Enfield: He is not easy to describe. There is something wrong with his appearance; something displeasing, something down-right detestable. I never saw a man I so disliked, and yet I scarce know why. He must be deformed somewhere; he gives a strong feeling of deformity, although I couldn't specify the point. He's an extraordinary looking man, and yet I really can name nothing out of the way. No, sir; I can make no hand of it; I can't describe him. And it's not want of memory; for I declare I can see him this moment.

Dr. Lanyon: Here, at last, I had a chance of clearly seeing him. I had never set eyes on him before, so much was certain. He was small, as I have said; I was struck besides with the shocking expression of his face, with his remarkable combination of great muscular activity and great apparent debility of constitution, and--last but not least--with the odd, subjective disturbance caused by his neighbourhood. This bore some resemblance to incipient rigour, and was accompanied by a marked sinking of the pulse. At the time, I set it down to some idiosyncratic, personal distaste, and merely wondered at the acuteness of the symptoms; but I have since had reason to believe the cause to lie much deeper in the nature of man, and to turn on some nobler hinge than the principle of hatred.
    This person (who had thus, from the first moment of his entrance, struck in me what I can only, describe as a disgustful curiosity) was dressed in a fashion that would have made an ordinary person laughable; his clothes, that is to say, although they were of rich and sober fabric, were enormously too large for him in every measurement--the trousers hanging on his legs and rolled up to keep them from the ground, the waist of the coat below his haunches, and the collar sprawling wide upon his shoulders. Strange to relate, this ludicrous accoutrement was far from moving me to laughter. Rather, as there was something abnormal and misbegotten in the very essence of the creature that now faced me--something seizing, surprising and revolting -- this fresh disparity seemed but to fit in with and to reinforce it; so that to my interest in the man's nature and character, there was added a curiosity as to his origin, his life, his fortune and status in the world.

Dr. Jekyll: Now the hand of Henry Jekyll (as you have often remarked) was professional in shape and size: it was large, firm, white and comely. But the hand which I now saw, clearly enough, in the yellow light of a mid-London morning, lying half shut on the bedclothes, was lean, corder, knuckly, of a dusky pallor and thickly shaded with a swart growth of hair. It was the hand of Edward Hyde.

-----------------

Notes on Spirit Photograph #68 - found in the archives of a London lawyer by the name of Mr. Gabriel John Utterson and bequeathed to the Museum of Spirituality by his grandson. According to the family, no other spirit photographs exist in the late Mr. Utterson's collection, so it was a mystery to them as to why this one was found in his personal papers after his death. (One can only deduce that the subject in question was known to him.) No other information has been gleaned from the photograph, and its subject cannot be positively identified. Researchers here at the Museum, as well as noted experts with the Institute for Spirituality in England, have determined that the person in question bears a passing resemblance to a Dr. Henry Jeykll, a friend and associate of Mr. Utterson's, but no record of him having posed for a spirit photographer exists in any extant literature of the day. More than one researcher at the Institute has concluded that the photograph, like so many others, is a fraud, and can be passed off as a photographic trick by some enterprising charlatan...

Last edited by madhatter106; April 23rd, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
    www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can it be a portrait or does it have to be a full body?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Minimum 3/4's of character must be visible. No busts or head shots."

The rules are at the top of the page in the first post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol im just kinda scanning through real quick, my eye is infected with a stye, so I have to look at the topc, then bare the pain so i can paint

but thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic! havent done a character fer a little while, guess this is a good time to get off my keester

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've been quietly haunting this place enough. I think I'll finally give this a go.

Last edited by CAmbrose; April 23rd, 2007 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" first published in 1886.
    So the 1880s are probably "the period Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was written" right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1880s_in_fashion

If anyone got better reference pictures ,please share.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone got better reference pictures ,please share.
    Roger Vaughan has a website with lots of great photos scanned in...but a googling of "1880's fashion" would probably do just as well; I did it earlier and came up with a bunch of stuff to sift through...

www.costumesketch.com

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gotta try this one!

Darn, couldn't get to it...

Last edited by Migsta; April 23rd, 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Remember the only requirement is the period clothing, which means you have a great deal of freedom. Mr Hyde could be a new take on the theme; think outside the box! However you are completely free to follow the Stevenson description to the letter if you want. My current sketch isn't particularly original at the moment anyway!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CC always welcome... yes I know i went the Sepia route...

Last edited by Woodlandwalker; April 19th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm curious for the other interpretations, i'll stick to Stevenson.

Last edited by Tommoy; April 19th, 2007 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Now, now Henry....

"It alright now. Really, it is. I forgive you everything, even trying to kill the both of us. You were afraid and under ever so much stress. I know this. I know everything you know. Your hopes, your fears...Your loves and hates- I know you closer than I would know a brother, If I had one.

"In a way one could say you are my brother. In a certain twisted logic I suppose, and I love the twisted kinds of logic the best. Take this bit for example: Your greatest fear was of losing control of me, that I'd get out and you wouldn't be able to put me back in. Well...it's happened now. This little girdle will make sure we always have a little potion in our body. So now I'll never have to go back in, and you don't have to worry about losing control anymore. You have none.

"But don't worry 'elder brother.' I'll take good care of you. Always keep you near my heart, as it were, hehe."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this topic sounds fun and promises quite a shitload of good quality pics.
    haven't posted anything current in ages - and in fact haven't produced anything proper either. so, oh well, here goes my wip.
    i gotta say it's good to be back. ca.org: on -> motivation: on.

quite a lack of concept, huh? need to do some more reasearch on clothing and shit, it's my weakness. I could use a bit of c&c, if y'all don't mind. i'm finishing a portfolio for college and want this in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the "young" Hyde approach, Hanuka...look forward to seeing where this is going.

Just be careful on the clothes - vests (and jackets, for that matter) button rather high at this time in fashion. Some great movies to look at for this period would be FROM HELL (set in 1888) and TOPSY TURVY (spanning 1884-5)...

The latter is particularly good, though I know a number of people who couldn't stand it. I guess Gilbert and Sullivan operettas aren't to everyone's liking...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuka
    quite a lack of concept, huh? need to do some more reasearch on clothing and shit, it's my weakness. I could use a bit of c&c, if y'all don't mind. i'm finishing a portfolio for college and want this in.
    Wow thats a coincidence im trying to put mine into my college portfolio too! haha.

As for a critique, he does look a little bit purple to me, but that adds to the monstrous feel IMO. All other stuff is probably just because its a WIP. I think its coming along nicely though, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posh- what is that new avatar of yours? Looks insane!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks madhatter, good advice. ill be looking into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks
    Wow thats a coincidence im trying to put mine into my college portfolio too! haha.

As for a critique, he does look a little bit purple to me
    Muha! You aint seen nothing yet, he's just about to become EVEN MORE PURPLE!! Purpleness = Power! Aye, thx mate and good luck with yours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i took a much more literal, literary and illustrative approach, Hyde as i imagine him from the story, less a demon than a distillation of human (Jekyll's) evil, self indulgent, sybaritic, arrogant but cruel, a pure sociopath/psychopath.

version 3 -- color, and final

C&C welcome

Last edited by masque; April 21st, 2007 at 09:33 PM.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by masque
    will probably be working this up in greyscale and then to color as well, so C&C before i go further would be welcomed.
    I like the style you chose for this one, it portrays the mood of the piece very well. Is the man on the right the doctor?

Oh and by the way i laughed when i read the quote in your sig- that game was so amazing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.