"Perfect" Circle Trick
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb "Perfect" Circle Trick

Hey guys,
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but thought its probably off-topic. Anyhow, I recently happened upon the story of Giotto and his perfect circle and then came across a "trick" to make perfect circles without mechanical aid(reference2
    I've been trying to get it to work but my circles using this trick come out worse than just drawing them the normal way... I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this trick or knows how to do it right. Or possibly if it doesn't really work and is just a hoax? Well, tell me what you think, and thanks!
    EDIT: Almost 100 views and nothing? Does anyone have any opinion about this, find it interesting, or not? Have any ideas for improving freehand circles?

Last edited by Rblackmore; April 16th, 2007 at 01:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, with a bit more practice I've found that this "trick" works if you use your little finger as the pivot and turn the paper, but still can't make even a near-perfect circle. I can freehand circles about as good as this trick allows but perhaps with even more practice and maybe a smoother surface it could work better.
    Now I'm wondering what you guys think about practicing straight lines and circles, will it actually improve your lines and circles etc. or is it only wishful thinking? Thanks!

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm... Mildly interesting.

Rblackmore: Drawing lines and circles is, infact a good practice to do.
    It there are various line drawing exercises that will enhance your line confidence. For example, you can put two or more dots spaced out on a piece of paper then attempt to connect them with a single, quick stroke.

Anyway, this is not the place to discuss drawing.

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HK: Thanks, I wasn't sure if this really counted as drawing or off topic. I've actually been placing dots and connecting them as I saw that in a few videos and read it, though I havent really noticed much of a difference in my lines yet. If I notice a difference, I'll practice this stuff a lot more(right now I do lines and circles for atleast a couple hours a day).

Monstertree: I saw that, its cool! But that circles too big, I wanna see someone draw a freehand circle on a normal sheet of paper. That'd be REALLY impressive.

Thanks again for the replies!
    EDIT: Oh yeah, if you guys have noticed an improvement in your circle or line control, tell me, it'd be very encouraging and that way I won't feel like I'm wasting time!

Last edited by Rblackmore; April 18th, 2007 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    before i teach anybody how to tattoo i make them trace 20 sheets of grapg paper and draw 100 circles freehand and trace 100 circles and thats just step one

not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jadefoodog
    before i teach anybody how to tattoo i make them trace 20 sheets of grapg paper and draw 100 circles freehand and trace 100 circles and thats just step one
    I've always wondered how they have such excellent line control...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    U guys want to know how to draw a perfect circle?
    Just do what this guy does: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eAhfZUZiwSE

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Err, Monster beat ya to it

So, the general consensus is that practice will indeed improve line control and circle-drawing ability? Right on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, dont mean to bump this thread but I figure its better than making a new one? Don't wanna waste paper, right?

So, I guess what I'm looking for is help with "freehand drafting". I've been scouring the internet(literally scouring!) and haven't found much, but I feel like I can't really progress much just learning anatomy and practicing figures as my very line control is even more fundamental. So, I'd really appreciate if anyone has any links to more information or knows of any exercises to improve line control, whether it be circles, straight lines, curves, or simply line weight control. ANYTHING! Thanks so much, I really appreciate you all and this wonderful resource.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rblackmore View Post
    Have any ideas for improving freehand circles?
    law of repitition

do it again and again and again and again and again

.. thats how your brain learns

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by -sideshowbob- View Post
    law of repitition

do it again and again and again and again and again

.. thats how your brain learns
    True, but if the majority of your circles aren't very round, wouldn't you actually become worse by becoming "better" at making less round circles? Just an honest question, as thats what I would think would happen.
    Perhaps tracing a circle template(and perhaps a ruler for straight lines) so as to force yourself to draw perfect circles until you can draw them well enough freehand and then practice them freehand?

Last edited by Rblackmore; April 30th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True, but if the majority of your circles aren't very round, wouldn't you actually become worse by becoming "better" at making less round circles? Just an honest question, as thats what I would think would happen.
    Perhaps tracing a circle template(and perhaps a ruler for straight lines) so as to force yourself to draw perfect circles until you can draw them well enough freehand and then practice them freehand?
    Theres no one way to learn so try it and find out.

Personally I think its about speed and control of your elbow. Your wrist doesn't have enough movement to get the right shape. If you move from your elbow you get much more strict control.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True, but if the majority of your circles aren't very round
    because i do not train to do round circles ..yet

yes lazy minds are easy attrackted by bad habbits
    the process of improving cant be stoped completely.. but we can close our eyes and become unable to see it

when i would start training to do circles
    i would satrt with doing elipses as they appear when u rotate -> O or a cylinder
    trains hand and helps to get a feeling for the changes of the shape while its being rotated ... its like when you did 10 wrong studies its easier to find the right one.. when u did 1000 its somewhat easier again and so forth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    Theres no one way to learn so try it and find out.

Personally I think its about speed and control of your elbow. Your wrist doesn't have enough movement to get the right shape. If you move from your elbow you get much more strict control.
    I agree about not drawing from the wrist, I actually use my wrist very little for drawing anything, not just circles. I've read countless times that its best to use the elbow or shoulder to draw. Very good point you make.

However, as for "trying and finding out", well in a perfect world that would work fine. But, I wont live forever so I'd rather learn from someone who already has "tried and found out" so to speak, so while I AM trying everything I read, if someone here has personally found something that helped with their freehand drafting skills, please let me know.
    Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to make sure everyone feels comfortable posting even if its just to say what doesn't work. Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

I always find it hard to draw a perfect circle or a perfect line.
    So i think i need to start drawing some circles and lines. So I will
    do take your adive and i will draw a few 100 lines and shapes

If you don't want to train drawing lines or shapes you can always do this:
    -Draw alot of circles on your paper (on top of eachother) with a small pointy pencil (h6 or something smaller)
    -Then Pick a bigger pencil (HB or B2 or something) and try to find a near perfect circle.
    -Now you can erase the smaller lines and if you do it right you have a nice (near) perfect circle...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats great HowlingWolve! I think of it as the most fundamental of all practice as if you can draw every line and shape finer and quicker then everything you draw will be that much better. Like a musician, sure the piece they're playing is important, but the difference between a good and a terrible rendition is how well each note is played!
    EDIT: Oh yeah, last night I was exploring the natural arc of the arm(using the elbow as the pivot), and I realized something: The straightest line is made in the center of the arc and by keeping the pen/pencil more vertical I was able to achieve better results. While I could easily get a straight line before with the pen held at an angle as most people do, less than half of my lines were straight. Now with a bit of warm up, I can get atleast 3/4 of my lines nice and straight.

Last edited by Rblackmore; May 5th, 2007 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just thought I'd drop in to say stick with it! I noticed the other night that my lines are now MUCH straighter and more precise(correct angle and positioning etc.) than they were before. I'm not sure if its actually my manual skill in drawing the lines or if its just from a change in technique. The way I draw straight lines now is by turning the paper(this is a lot quicker than it sounds after a bit of practice) to change the angle and moving it to and fro to change position so that I can always keep my arm in the center portion of its ROM. I know I still have a LONG way to go, but I've been practicing drawing cubes in perspective freehand and they look quite nice if I do say so myself, and I do.

Members who have read this thread: 2