Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimm View Post
    More sketchys! Old work tho. They were pictures that I used to show at the National Portfolio Day.

--Sketchy Sketchy-ness!
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

And slightly newer, but unfinished:

--Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

I have more life drawing gestures and whatnot from the Workshop I go to on Sundays. But I'll photograph those when I get back from schoooooooool.
    Yokai-chan, eh? XD
    We actually seem quite similar, switching between intense figure drawing (though no such class exists in my LOLCATHOLIC high school, hence I improvise) and cling to the wonders of comic/fan/smexy anime art. The man life drawing and the last funny drawing are some of my favorites (though I like your knack for mecha as well). His pectorals could use a bit rounding out, with less harsh shading, but less white around the beginning of the shadow.
    Sorry to comment on your older stuff, but I really liked it.
    And your future improvements are very noticeable too.
    Glad you're apllying to Ringling.^^

Sketchbook~Any comments much appreciated

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Magami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Crimm - on proportions, yours is a good and valuable tactic. There's really no exact science to measuring proportions while you're doing quick life drawings. But the pencil method can be useful. Behold as I type a lot of words and hope that they are coherent and useful. This may or may not help you, but if it doesn’t, don’t worry because you’ll be using pencil measurements more in art school. Here’s the jist of it:

Your pencil is basically going to serve as a ruler. Hold out your pencil at arm’s length, perpendicular to the ground (I recommend tip up, eraser side down). Pick an area on your subject/model that you want to measure – say, from the shoulders to the waist. Hold the pencil so that the tip aligns with the top of the shoulders, then move your thumb down the pencil until it is level with the top of the waist. The tip of the pencil and your thumb should now match the length from shoulder to waist.

Now you will use this measurement to compare another area of the body – for instance, from the gluteus area (the butt) to the knee. The idea is to find parts of the body with similar lengths and proportions to aid in matching proportions in your drawing. Let’s say that the first area you measured, from shoulder to waist, is the exact same length as the thigh from the rear to the knee. You now know that in your drawing, the thigh should be the same length as the torso. Go to your drawing and, with your pencil, measure your drawing’s torso from shoulder to waist. Take this new measurement and line up the tip of your pencil along the thigh, from the rear to the knee. Use your pencil to mark off the length.

You can use this process to measure most every proportion on the body. There are some general rules – for instance, the foot is usually the same length as the forearm. But every body is different, and by using your pencil you can get a slightly more accurate (though not perfect) measurement.

You can also use this method to measure the body’s “head” length. The classical take was that the human body was eight heads high – so if you stack 8 heads one on top of the other, the human body will be the same length. In reality, most bodies are anywhere from 5 to 7 heads high. It depends on the individual. You can use your pencil to measure the model’s head, and then determine how many heads tall the model is – and by extension, determine the head length from neck to chest, from chest to waist, from waist knee and knee to foot.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nilaffle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow, you guys.. Thank you for all of your help! Sorry I didn't reply right away, but when I read your comments, I was inspired and went straight back to work. lol!

I believe I still have the problem of outlining too much, but I keep myself aware of that fact much more now. Especially after taking Rendering class. Really teaches you to draw light first.

And! I've started to use that technique of pencil measuring. I didn't undersand it before, but now I know how to do it. Your explanation, Nilaffle, helped to round out my understand if it too.

---As it turned out, I wasn't able to apply to Calarts or Ringling. Thanks to my under-estimation of the deadline and my low self-confidence. har har. I'm really sad and mad at myself for missing it. But all I can do now is still apply for LCAD and keep working to apply again for Calarts/Ringling.

I'm fixing up my portfolio for portfolio day, so this is whats going on now...

Old Version
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

New Version (still working on)
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

In anycase, let me upload my recent work.

- Practice animation

- Name Animation

- Final animation for class.

All these animations were made in Corel Painter 10. I'll never animate on there ever again. lol!

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Crimm; February 23rd, 2008 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    Animal Drawings! Went to the Zoo today!

Thanks
    Updated Pieces.. (improved)

--Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

Thanks
    Yarrrrr!!!

Thanks
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

My Final Rendering Project!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    The pickle jar is very impressive! And I like your recent drawings before that too, nice choice of colors

Thanks
    thank you thank you. I like black and white for the most part, but im starting to really like traditional coloring too now!

Thanks
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

just reaquainting myself with watercolors after like 12 years. lol!

Thanks
    --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

--Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

Last edited by Crimm; February 23rd, 2008 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    hey, those pickles look great, do more life drawings and it will reflect on your imaginative stuff, cool. cya

Thanks
    thanks for the tip.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.