Sketchbook: --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: --Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

--Sketchy Sketchy-ness!

Alright, well im taking this "sketchbook" thing very literally. Right now I'm scanning all my "sketches". x3

---As for school...I'm planning to apply at *cough*calarts&ringling*cough* and LCAD. X3 Hopefully, I get accepted by somebody. ;o; I really wanna start on my way to my goal of becoming an animator.

---If you guys wouldn't mind, could you point out at which pictures I should use in my Portfolio? Some of the pictures above are in repair/redrawing mode, but if ya got any pointers, I'm all ears.

Fav Drawing so far:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Crimm; March 11th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just realized that the first last uploaded picture becomes the sketchbook cover for this thread. x3 I should have uploaded something really good. heh.

Uh... some other stuff... And just to let whoever is going thru this right now... I am really trying to stay away from anime style. But its like..after you've drawn a certain way for most of your life, it hard to let go of that habit. >_< You'll surely see more NON-anime things, even if it still looks it not. Im working at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok, real practice now!

Trying to get back into the whole "practicing" thing. And since i have no real models, I just used pictures of myself, and some random others.

One with of my new haircut. Some where i'm wearing my costume. And then Random photos of myself.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention(?). I normally wear cat ears all the time. And I just noticed while looking at my photos, i got this tired look. haha

Last edited by Crimm; April 28th, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your last drawings. Good thing you practise, you can never do it enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, your last batch is really sweet and I dig those cat ears, haha.

I'll keep an eye on your sb. : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a WIP for Life Drawing Class. Tomorrow I finish it up. But I thought I'd get a headstart on reviving this sketchbook. : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finished version of my life drawing picture. : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more life drawing! This time from Corny's workshop. Yes, no? (any improvement?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The figure on the right (in the last image before your life drawing) stands out more than anything else on the page. I think the proportions seem to be the most accurate in that one.

:3 I love amount of volume your figure has for the life drawing. Charcoal does wonders, doesn't it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, the one that is mostly sanguine colored? That one?

and yes it does! I love charcoal for its coolness. And cuz i only had either charcoal or conte with me. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the last pics of your first posting the most. youre showing some ideas there. life drawing is a thing that every artist should do pretty much, i think. it sure helps a lot, but you could bring an amount of creativity in there too. arrange your figures, so that they make an exiting composition, for example.

you also could add some fantastic forms and figures into your conventional studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea, thanks for reminding me about that. Exciting compositions! Rawr!

Fantastic forms? like non realistic things?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good question... h&#228;h&#228;
    havent thought about that much, before i wrote it...

i mean very crazy stuff. when you let your thoughts move without direction, or force yourself thinking in strange ways (maybe very dark ways) like in these first sketches of yours.
    you could take the body of a life-drawn women and give it the head of an insect, or any kind of thing.
    hmm, i starting to get a few ideas for myself here, thats fun ^^
    successful learning through discussion. nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job with the life drawings. Watch out for making the legs too short though. This one has a really attractive hand too that really bumped in my eye. On the rest of the drawing, I think the thick contours on the light side kind of flattens it though. Try to keep the thickest lines on the shadows and the ones on extreme light barely visible.

Keep up the life drawing and try some imagination work every now and then too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HanRa View Post
    good question... h&#228;h&#228;
    havent thought about that much, before i wrote it...

i mean very crazy stuff. when you let your thoughts move without direction, or force yourself thinking in strange ways (maybe very dark ways) like in these first sketches of yours.
    you could take the body of a life-drawn women and give it the head of an insect, or any kind of thing.
    hmm, i starting to get a few ideas for myself here, thats fun ^^
    successful learning through discussion. nice
    haha, the crazy randomnes, huh? I understand now. X3 I had stopped doing that cuz I thought it wasn't the kind of stuff I should be spending my time on. lol. Bad me.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    Great job with the life drawings. Watch out for making the legs too short though. This one has a really attractive hand too that really bumped in my eye. On the rest of the drawing, I think the thick contours on the light side kind of flattens it though. Try to keep the thickest lines on the shadows and the ones on extreme light barely visible.

Keep up the life drawing and try some imagination work every now and then too.
    lol, you mentioned it too! I tried not to be so crazy with my drawings anymore. x3 I guess that was a bad choice. Contour lines...got it!

Im glad (and suprised) you liked that hand. I was feeling iffy on it since it didn't have as much detail. haha. : )

Something I drew last night before sleeping. And observation exercise (sorta) for myself. haha. I didn't finish the keyboard keys cuz I lost the green marker. But I soon found out that the green marker was stuck in my hair the whole time. Boo.

And now a random sketch, I suppose! Just wanted to draw something before sleeping. And I didn't wanna draw my desk again. lol!

Kinda represents me a couple months ago. But I've held off buying toys, since new METALLIC repaints are gonna come out next year.

Sorry for my handwriting-

Sign: LAST ONE! Cuz Target hates restocking.

TF Geek: MUST BUY! or klownbots will eat me.

Scalper guy waiting to kill TF Geek for the toy with a ball & spike flail. XD

Coincidentally, this sorta counts as a creative picture? More like messing around tho. hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just something I drew for the Sketch Challenge here. Prolly my best perspective drawing ever! lol

sketchy sketch.

Last edited by Crimm; November 7th, 2007 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketchys! Old work tho. They were pictures that I used to show at the National Portfolio Day.

And slightly newer, but unfinished:

I have more life drawing gestures and whatnot from the Workshop I go to on Sundays. But I'll photograph those when I get back from schoooooooool.

Last edited by Crimm; November 20th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyy,

I really like your work!
    I hope to see more soon..

(my sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=1#post1043997 )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Danke Danke! : ) Ye ask, ye shall recieve!

Most Recent life drawing project/assignment. I had colored him with soft colors, but wanted to push the colors more. Unfortunately, I messed up while doing that and just ended up scratching the colors in like you see now. It doesn't look too bad, if I say so myself. lol. I get to work on it some more tomorrow.

Now starts the Workshop drawings... about 2 days worth of it. heh.

All done at Corney's workshop! If that means anything to anybody. haha.

A gesture drawing I did, but because I liked the way it looked, I decided to make it my logo of sorts.

: ) And thats it for TODAY atleast. (edit: the pictures photobucket deleted are uploaded thru the attachment)

Last edited by Crimm; November 20th, 2007 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ack...photobucket you mock meee.... Will repair those. ; \

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old drawings that I had in my portfolio that I forgot about. Oops!

Except for the Vein-y hand drawing. That one is fairly new.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well...what can I say? I was so wrapped up in the life drawing, that I forgot about my "creative" artworks. lol. Everytime I looked at other people's sketchbooks, i kept on wondering what was missing.

Anyways, to point out a few things. The artwork titled Snipe Shade is my character design sheet for this Transformer I created. The version of it "super-deformed" and colored was my semi-first attempt at using Corel Painter (meaning, just playing around with Corel).

A little extra:
    1st real try. Drawn by Bananasmash.
    2nd try. Drawn by LionaSkycat.

All were studies on how to color a metallic looking surface. The shine, texture, ect. (had permission from artists)

Then the rest are mostly robot designs. With one illustration about a phobia of pickles! It's actually a real thing, I saw it on youtube. lol. One of my robot character as a human. And another of a beat up Van - another study on metal.

Last edited by Crimm; November 20th, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff Crimm. I think my favorite post is #19, very nice studies. You're exploring a lot of different media, that's good to see. Was your model posing with a dog?? That's pretty cool, I don't know of many life drawing classes that bring animals in. Animals are important, especially for animation, and they often go overlooked. Keep up with the figures, and a few more still lifes wouldn't hurt. That one with the pony (is that a rocking horse?) has nice contrast. Spend a little more time on the shading, perhaps - that one above it feels a lot less hurried. As for the figures, keep working on finding the shapes within the figures. I can see some good construction in the drawings in #19, but you seem to lose that in these newer ones. They're heavy on contour. Still nice, but work more on getting the volume and proportions down. How are you measuring proportions?

Gestures... have you tried going into public places and drawing people? Good practice for drawing quick and focusing on the overall movement of a figure.

Good work, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, for the last couple times the models brought in their pets. The other model had a flying squirrel pet, but it kept on hiding. hehe.

Post #19 is my latest stuff. The posts after that were just old pictures I had in my portfolio.

And I gotcha on the volume stuff. I keep trying to work on that.

As for the proportions, I measure by "placement". lol. Which is my own way of comparing the symmetry of the models body. Elbow is the same level as waist. Hand on level of shoulders. Right hand a tad longer looking than the left. Basically I look at her on a grid scale, and then draw it out according to what I see.

All very relative, I suppose. I can't ever understand how to do that arm length, pencil measurement the others do. So thats what I've been doing for my proportions.

Gestures? Ya know, I tried doing that yesturday. But It's so hard! I keep worrying that the person is gonna look at me! hehe, ugh. I'll try again today.

Thank you for reviewing my work! Good tips!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey crimm I really like the last stuff at post 21, espically the male figure, really great stuff.. lots of progress aswell, I wish you alot of luck and that by janaury you'll have everything tidy and ready.

good luck.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to UriL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Crimm! These life drawings are looking great--keep at it! You're definitely improving. I also like that you're doing quick animal drawings from life alongside your figure drawings; these are great! Keep drawing from life--quick drawings, long drawings--whatever you have access to.

Watch how much you use exterior contour lines in your figure drawings; see if there are places where you can draw through the form. When you look entirely at the exterior line of the model, the image tends to become a little flat. Maybe doing a drawing where you don't allow yourself to pick up your pencil would help you with that. (This is only something that applies to gesture drawing)

In your longer drawings, it still seems like you're relying on the original line work to describe the shape of the figure. In these, value should be telling the entire story. One thing that will help you with that is trying to make sure that your darkest values are black and that the lightest values are white. I know that people continue to say this, but it really makes a big difference. For instance, my best friend at Ringling was really proud of this drawing. That is, until he really tried to up the contrast, and he produced this. See the difference that value can make?

I'm looking at this drawing here... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/DSC03460.jpg
    Some of the best advice that I've ever received as far as portrait drawing goes is the establish the values of the face before adding specific features. For example, add dark values for the eye sockets, beneath the nose, the cheekbones, etc. (Make sure you're paying attention to your light source and not just creating these shadows from imagination). This will really help you understand the form and keep you from relying on lines.

I hope that helps... Good luck with Ringling, CalArts, and LCAD!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to thesinfulsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimm View Post
    More sketchys! Old work tho. They were pictures that I used to show at the National Portfolio Day.

And slightly newer, but unfinished:

I have more life drawing gestures and whatnot from the Workshop I go to on Sundays. But I'll photograph those when I get back from schoooooooool.
    Yokai-chan, eh? XD
    We actually seem quite similar, switching between intense figure drawing (though no such class exists in my LOLCATHOLIC high school, hence I improvise) and cling to the wonders of comic/fan/smexy anime art. The man life drawing and the last funny drawing are some of my favorites (though I like your knack for mecha as well). His pectorals could use a bit rounding out, with less harsh shading, but less white around the beginning of the shadow.
    Sorry to comment on your older stuff, but I really liked it.
    And your future improvements are very noticeable too.
    Glad you're apllying to Ringling.^^

Sketchbook~Any comments much appreciated

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Magami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crimm - on proportions, yours is a good and valuable tactic. There's really no exact science to measuring proportions while you're doing quick life drawings. But the pencil method can be useful. Behold as I type a lot of words and hope that they are coherent and useful. This may or may not help you, but if it doesn’t, don’t worry because you’ll be using pencil measurements more in art school. Here’s the jist of it:

Your pencil is basically going to serve as a ruler. Hold out your pencil at arm’s length, perpendicular to the ground (I recommend tip up, eraser side down). Pick an area on your subject/model that you want to measure – say, from the shoulders to the waist. Hold the pencil so that the tip aligns with the top of the shoulders, then move your thumb down the pencil until it is level with the top of the waist. The tip of the pencil and your thumb should now match the length from shoulder to waist.

Now you will use this measurement to compare another area of the body – for instance, from the gluteus area (the butt) to the knee. The idea is to find parts of the body with similar lengths and proportions to aid in matching proportions in your drawing. Let’s say that the first area you measured, from shoulder to waist, is the exact same length as the thigh from the rear to the knee. You now know that in your drawing, the thigh should be the same length as the torso. Go to your drawing and, with your pencil, measure your drawing’s torso from shoulder to waist. Take this new measurement and line up the tip of your pencil along the thigh, from the rear to the knee. Use your pencil to mark off the length.

You can use this process to measure most every proportion on the body. There are some general rules – for instance, the foot is usually the same length as the forearm. But every body is different, and by using your pencil you can get a slightly more accurate (though not perfect) measurement.

You can also use this method to measure the body’s “head” length. The classical take was that the human body was eight heads high – so if you stack 8 heads one on top of the other, the human body will be the same length. In reality, most bodies are anywhere from 5 to 7 heads high. It depends on the individual. You can use your pencil to measure the model’s head, and then determine how many heads tall the model is – and by extension, determine the head length from neck to chest, from chest to waist, from waist knee and knee to foot.

Hope this helps.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to nilaffle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you guys.. Thank you for all of your help! Sorry I didn't reply right away, but when I read your comments, I was inspired and went straight back to work. lol!

I believe I still have the problem of outlining too much, but I keep myself aware of that fact much more now. Especially after taking Rendering class. Really teaches you to draw light first.

And! I've started to use that technique of pencil measuring. I didn't undersand it before, but now I know how to do it. Your explanation, Nilaffle, helped to round out my understand if it too.

---As it turned out, I wasn't able to apply to Calarts or Ringling. Thanks to my under-estimation of the deadline and my low self-confidence. har har. I'm really sad and mad at myself for missing it. But all I can do now is still apply for LCAD and keep working to apply again for Calarts/Ringling.

I'm fixing up my portfolio for portfolio day, so this is whats going on now...

Old Version

New Version (still working on)

In anycase, let me upload my recent work.

- Practice animation

- Name Animation

- Final animation for class.

All these animations were made in Corel Painter 10. I'll never animate on there ever again. lol!

Last edited by Crimm; February 23rd, 2008 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Animal Drawings! Went to the Zoo today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.