Sketchbook: giuseppe lacapra┤s sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: giuseppe lacapra┤s sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

giuseppe lacapra┤s sketchbook

hello! i don´t have a real travel sketchbook at the moment...so most of the stuff poste here is, as of now, just some photos of sketches and stuff i have drawn on my huge fabriano sketchbook (very nice ) and on some random printer paper wich i usually carry with me at university. Most of those were drawn on the train heheh the few times i was not completely asleep =p
    anyway less talking, more attaching =)
    i apologize for the quality...=(

oh, and of course any comment critic and whatever is more than welcome ^_^

Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start to a sketchbook! I have a few suggestions for you. Try drawing straight from life, and focus on contours before shading. Try to make it realistic; don't shade too heavily. Also, try drawing from a large scale to a small scale. For example, if you're drawing a face, don't start from an eye or lips until you get better. Draw guidelines for yourself. The shape of the head first, then lightly sketch where the hairline should be, then space the eyes evenly where they belong, and sketch features in LIGHTLY, try to keep everything in proportion. Otherwise, do some anatomy studies. Medical models, little plastic skeletons, life-drawing classes; these will help you to learn to keep proportion and placement of the muscles, etcetera.

Other than that, just practice. it's a long, hard road, and you can always improve. There's no such thing as being the best at art; even the greatest artists I know work to improve flaws based on their own and other's critiques. You've got a lot of potential and a lot of talent. Flex your creative muscles a bit; you'll go far.

You can be the best at what you do, but you've never learned everything about anything.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hej! i kinda checked this post by chance, would have never thought there would have been a comment here=)

thanks a lot for the comments and tips
    eheheh
    welll yes i definetly need to learn to shade...these sketches were dona in a very short period of time, at least the face studies (not the characters them selves) and i was kinds obsessed by pushing the blacks as far as possible...i kinda like it =) that┤s why they all look so black =)
    uhm..about drawing for life, yes i┤m gonna do it from now on...it was a bit hard..well actually almost impossible before as i wasn┤t actually able to understand the viewing process...but in the last days i studied hard!!! so i guess from now on i┤ll focus on life drawings trying to get a better feeling of reality, and realistic shading

about the large to small process, i always do that...almost always actually...when i try to draw concepts with nothing in mind, i just let the pencil go wherever it wants and try to give it some sense afterwards....but if i need to draw or to do anything in my life conciously, i always go from large to small =) i started my way through art modeling in 3d and it formed me this way =)
    when i┤ll go up another step i┤ll post some more sketches =)

thanks again for your comment, i really appriciate it =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh long time since i posted here last time. Well during this time i`ve started following the structure of man dvd, the skeleton part...but since i did it all in one breath after that i thought i needed a break from anathomy and i focused more or shading trying to get a decent cross/hatching and shading in general some smoothness and more confidence with the pencil. i also started to read perspective made easy but i`ve never finished it heeh most of the time was spent doing some shading and stuff like that. Recently i went over some matte surface shading...trying to get some basic understanding of lighting. Bah there is so much to learn that i really don`t know where to start from..ehe eheh i`m trying to do some concept designs to get familiar with the pipeline....i`m trying to do an illustration,trying to design every aspect of it...like the shot itself, the environment the creatures, the characters the spaceships and so on..so that i could get a basic understanding of wich direction i should move to and then try to do it in a good way ehehe
    if you feel like commenting or giving some critics to my job i would really appriciate it! thank in advance then eheheh

about the images. The one that look better and that are shaded better are copied with the grid method(T_T) from photos or anathomy books and took from some hours (anathomy stuff and scarlett johansson portrait) to several days eheh . the matte shadings are done folowing scott robertson`s dvds.
    the other anathomy sketches are made.were done following the structure of man dvd.

p.s. if for any reason s. stallone is going through this blog: i`m sorry about your face..i really couldn`t get it right!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those value sketches are wicked! love the portrait of rocky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eheheh thank for the comment! yeah rocky it`s cool but it really looks like it was take after a match not during the training XP heheh
    what do you exactly mean with wicked here? is it good or bad? eheheh XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some concepts i\m trying for the project i was talking about in the previous post..uhm...i'm really not satisfied with them...i'm not good at coloring and don't know what painting is hehe but the point of this exercises was to get some concepts and trying to get them to a basic level where you can understand the form and who they are done..well i'm not satisfied but i'll make a list of why i don't like them and try to work on those stuff as i move to another subject...think next one will be a creature or a some spaceships...don't know...i like the idea of the bond between a "human" and a "crature" that is something i've also put in these 2 but this was all a robot thingie well i don't know eheheh guess i'll start to build a favorites folder and try to get inspired meanwhile XD
    comments and critics are more than welcome...also if you want to suggest anything feel free i'm open to anything at the moment...don't really know what to do...there's so much to learn XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have made big improvements already! The Rocky portrait is great, and the skull studies are fantastic.

Keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I can see the improvement, love the portrait of rocky and the statues!

Good job with pencils now try to do more painting mabye,I guess its a good start!

Keep it up!

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuff

Great progress throughout the posts! it's really nice to see improvement like this
    About the skull studies, the nose on the first one is too flat. It should protrude more so that it covers part of the eye socket from that point of view.
    But the drawings where you're using a grid are real quality stuff! They're great as rendering exercises, but they won't teach you that much about anatomy and proportions as some quick studies.
    Try drawing more complete figures. Forget about rendering for a while and just do line drawings, so that you get familiar with correct proportions.

Good luck!

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eheh thanks a lot guys!! you really gave me lots of energy!! aha well the statues and the rocky thing were made to train shading...i was feeling very weak and insecure so i felt i needed to improve....well i like shading now and it`s relaxing...and more important now i see shading as the beginning of the drawing not as the end of it eheh
    well windmaker you`re right about anatomy but i needed some shading practice to be more concious of form chances and how to rapresent them on paper..that will for sure benefit my anatomy studies aswell
    and well if i then have to shade a well proportioned human, i`m not gonna screw it so bad now like i used to do before hehe
    ah and about the 1st skull yes well me and 3quarters view are not really good friends YET XD
    again thanks a lot for your comments, they are really a great payoff and really giving me more energy to go on ehehe
    cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice man!! love the rocky portrait and the statue..
    complimenti e continua cosi'!!

BLOG
    CgHub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi again! haven't done much in this last month, i don't really know what to draw..so i'm did some creatures, some environments (not shown cause they sucked =) ) and at last some characters...i wanted to color since i had never done it seriously...well i'm still a bit puzzled..don't really know how to pick colors..and most of my stuff looks so unreal...guess i need more observation =) and some life painting =) well, we'll see what happens next! =) probably i'm gonna study a bit of muscle stuff, and focus on head paintings...as you can see all my chars have their heads hidden where it was possible XD
    most of the chars were are in sideview, cause they were done from thumbnails..and i found it more easy and inspiring to do side stuff, the idea was to catch the silouette and to get something out of it...they are not character designs..only the navigators are..and you can see the result....i might need to work more on proportions, legs and stuff waist parts...i don't feel very confortable with those...bah lots of work =)
    comments and critics more than welcome of course =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some updates..i`m trying to focus on faces and heads....i`ve never been able to figure them out so i have some problems eheh
    anyway here`s the stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, this one is quite a big update..heh, basicly all stuf i┤ve done during this month. I moved to sweden to study art, in a folkh÷gskola, uhm..so well don┤t have much to do here apart from drawing and that is good, so i┤m trying to get something out of this. Uhm..i┤m not really progressing as much as i┤d like...have lots of stuff to learn and i don┤t really know where to start from heh. I┤ll probably look for a mentor to help me a bit, here at school we┤re mostly doing painting, and is quite a free ambient so they don┤t put pressure on you on teaching and learning things...so...it┤s not really enough hehehe.

Uhm...at the moment i feel i┤m lacking in form shading...in the sesne that i can┤t have my shapes read right when i shade them...and also in figure drawing >_< i went thorugh the structure of man till the muscles and now i┤m trying to get a good feeling about drawing the figure but well seomtimes it┤s just frustrating when you redraw the same pose 20 times and it┤s still wrong and the page is all messed up ....cause i also have quite a heavy hand...(another thing to work on). Uhm...i also need to work on my painting...well i can┤t really see colors xD so...lots of stuff to start with eheheh let┤s see what october brings xD
    eheh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm..been trying to get better in form shading and stuff, so i've been workin only in b&w to focus a bit more...uhm..next i'll try to do some color stuff..i'm quite satisfied with what i've done here and so well hopefully i'll manage to get a similar result with color aswel =)
    cheers
    comments critics and everything else wellcome =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see you do the riven phoenix videos, do them all they're very useful to get all the proportions right. then when you're trough got get some anatomy-drawing-book like bridgeman and study the details and all kinds of different poses. right on!!!!

cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks!, yeah i went through the muscles, now i need a break ehehe i'll try to find this book that you're saying

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dude,
    I really love your upper drawing of the Piet&#225;, very well done.
    And also your digitals seem to be pretty solid.
    Great development.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm..i've worked with some gestures and stuff yesterday...i was ashamed of my figures were looking like. It ended up much better than i could ever immagine..again thanks to reaven phoenix =). Uhm..the first and the last ones are sketches for a painting i'm doing...will look much worse than that in acrylics....but i'm just putting some ideas down =)
    well cheers!

ps. sorry for the quality of the photos..don't know if it's me or the camera that sucks at taking them..probably both =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where are the eggs?

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here they are!!
    hehe just some...i made some photoes...and there were quite some eggs..i'm not putting them here heh just some poses and spaces filled with eggs ..thought it was a good way to fill the page..=)

hm...was quite hard to get figures look different..probably cause i chose verysimilar kinds..like mage warrior..assassin...so well uhm..probably i lost in the beginning...uhm...i also find that my library of poses is quite limited..so i guess i'll start to open my eyes...it's about time...=)
    hope the hips are now going better...and the arms too...well..in te last ones i wasn't really aware of what i was doing...so...well...it was a strange process xD uhm...i found it more or less easy to come of with a pose for a fighter..or something like that...but when it comes to give charcter to something more complex..or specific..well it's really hard i find =)..but i gess it's probably due to the fact that i live with my eyes clsed..so yeah..let's open them! xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you need to try slowing down while you're putting down lines.. no need to be superquick about them.. might just upgrade your linequality while you're at it.. try forcing your brain to go as slow as your hand, and vice versa
    eggs are really tricky to draw, as you have probably realised by now... take a real egg as example, follow the contour with your eye as you draw it, try keeping the tension in the line.. the slightest bump or dent will degrade the form instantly.

the gestures are getting better indeed.. hip proportions are better as well as the arms. it's good to see you're giving attention to those ass muscles too

if you're wondering some times to think of new or interesting poses to draw, think of series of actions that your "people" can act out.. this can be really simple stuff like a guy walking, falling over, getting back up, cursing the gods above, jumping off a diving board, praying to allah, whatever
    random stuff really, keep it interesting for yourself.. add a story to act out

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm..that was inspiring...i sometimes get into mind block where i become like a zombie and could walk against the wall for days without noticing that is a door =) if that makes any sense...
    yeah..i'm trying to give attention to that stuff..uhm..i thought the gestures were going worse actually...but i prefer your idea xD
    uhm..i've made other stuff but it's not really worth posting in ths shit quality photos...uhm...
    about the stop and think...yeah...uhm..thing is..most of the times...i place aline to gie my-self a reference of what should i draw next...i guess i should start ghosting lines..and then drop it when im sure it will be the right one...uhm....i'll try to practice on that...and yeah...acting a story...hehe i like the idea....uhm...i find that i just have problems with nderstanding how poses are made of...like spotting the gravity line....right now the method i'm using is: place a vertical line for the chest...then an horizontal for the shoulders....this gives (or should give me =) ) me an idea of the uper body...then i go with an horizontal line for the but...to get where the femurs should start, then the legs, and last te arms...as single flow lines...most of the times though...te gesture is just impossible to work with...cause it doesn't exist or whatever and i found it hard to get some believable gestures down...=\ of course it's even harder to get a figure out of them..especially if i then have to tweak the figure adding fat, or whatever not to make them all the same =)...but indeed most of the problems come from my own mind..if you think you'll do crappy stuff..it will be hard not to =) but yeah eheh i needed some cheering thanks!!! xD
    uhm..probably my hand as slow as my brain...and this als means that imy brain still has problems with constructing the figure...but i feel quite confident in what i've learnt...uhm..have to investigate this uhmm, well we'l see =)
    cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh ok well i'm posting some stuff i've done before reading you're comment...and then this little story i started after...hmm...i think it's getting better somewhat...and i'm kinda feeling an empathy with this guy aha..but anyway..i tried to draw with stronger and more thought lines..sometims i had to go over them..cause the idea was wrong...but i'm getting the feeling that i'm unconsciously stopping myself from drawing 32 lines on the same point before thinking if i should put a line there or not =)..guess it's a good thing eheh, anyway..uhm...i tried to put the story together...but i didn't know how to put the text so i'm writing it here...just quick thinking between a drwing and the other to see wich pose i should draw..and so on..was quite fun actually..and i think i got somewhat better...but i'll let you judge and comment xD

(look at the images while reading)
    so...
    1. there's a guy walking..quite badly actually god now why....and so he's quite angry..
    2. he starts cursing upabove..cause he's really upset.. " dammit!! i'm here doing stff and i can't even walk properly!!" something like that he said...
    3. noone..not even him would have actually thought that such a complain would have recieved a response.."aha ...that's it...now you'll get what you deserve!" said a voice..he was quite surprised and frightened" no no! pleeeease i was just kidding you know!"
    4. puff! "oh my....my body...what happened...i knew i shold have stayed home today...i should stop with all this cursing...i knew it" he whined...
    5. "i'm really sorry" said the voice.."i just wanted to ease your pain...your waling problems you know..".... "yeah yeah sure sure....just leave it ok??" replied the guy..
    6. " oh my...why me!! why me! i'll never have all those chicks with this fat body..*cry *cry
    7. "hhm.." said the voice again..."yeahh??!!" the guy filled with hope and surprise turned to hear hopefully good news..
    8. "maybe you've learnt the lesson...i should fix this..don't you think?" ..."oh yes..that would be great...you're super!"

to be continued..maybe..=)

aha..well it was probably a lot better in my mind xD anyway it served my purpose and hopefully helped you get throught the poses...hm...would be interestd also in comments..on...stuff like: are the poses correct to explain what is happening? =)
    hehehe
    cheers!

ps- i discovered the greyscale button!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so...i tried t work again on the gesturs...uhm..but i had soem problems...
    well i was carrying this problems about building gestures..like in life drawing..didn't really have amethod...at least one that was really helping me putting the figure down in 10 seconds and knowing already how it will look like...uhm..so i had lots of problems when i had to do my own poses i guess..uhm..well anyway i tried to work on that..build a system for my self that was user friendly to me heh...i work a bit with uhm..pose maniacs site...did some 90 sec poses at the beginning then went down to 30...i think i did quite a bit jump forward in understandig the idea of gesture drawing...especially from reference...as a basis for a pose..uhm...well..i'm not good at it yet..i still need refinement especially in focusing and not stopping to think...uhm...so well not really appealing images...uhm..and mostly light lines hehe but i wanted to post them anyway...maybe i could get some thoughts overs those aswell hehe, uhm..anyway...the thing i'm more satisfied is..that i ended up thinking of a system on my own to get throught this problem and it's just the beginning of course..hehe but i guess with more fine tuning life-drawing classes will not be so painfull anymore xD
    but well not much done in the sense of gestures from the mind..not sure if this is helping me in that sense aswell...still have soem problems with imagining how would the poses look like in real life...like an old guy walking with a stick..uhm..i guess that just need some studies from life or photos though...or am i supposed or..how am i supposed to figure that out otherwise? uhm....in the gesture comic i've been posing my self...wich is beter cause you have the pose you want...but the mirror is far and not really good for posing...uhm..so the point is...how should i work....should i imagie getures from nothing...should i get the gestures from my self or photos...or? maybe get the gesture down and then work the skin and muscles out by my-self?
    =)
    auch long post...=((
    hopefully the night will inspire me a bit hehe

ps. also made a step further in undertanding the idea of line quality...not just make one line instead of 5 but make a good line (a line qith good quality ^^') instead of bad ones...yeah...that's what the eggs are for isn't it....as always i understand things a bit later than i should..but..still i understand them at last! xD
    cheers =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello =)haven't been doing much these days heh my parents came to visit me here in sweden so i spent my time with them. Uhm..anyway i think i got used to the pose thing...i can now do that quite ok...at least i feel i don't strugle with it..it's just a matter of practice...i have a method..and it works ok...might refine it but for now it serves the purpose...the problem now it's wrapping the flesh and mscles around it xD eheh here i guess life drawing is the key..uhm..
    well i've been working with soem image reference...today i've done a bit of kickboxing xD most of them are on the back..but well i need that too, and i usually do just fron poses so i think it's good to change a bit =) cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been working a bit on burne hogarth's dynamic figure drawing, been also busy with school projects and stuff hehe
    everything is fine as always, cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more stuff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1