Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

giuseppe lacapra┤s sketchbook

hello! i don´t have a real travel sketchbook at the moment...so most of the stuff poste here is, as of now, just some photos of sketches and stuff i have drawn on my huge fabriano sketchbook (very nice ) and on some random printer paper wich i usually carry with me at university. Most of those were drawn on the train heheh the few times i was not completely asleep =p
    anyway less talking, more attaching =)
    i apologize for the quality...=(

oh, and of course any comment critic and whatever is more than welcome ^_^

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good start to a sketchbook! I have a few suggestions for you. Try drawing straight from life, and focus on contours before shading. Try to make it realistic; don't shade too heavily. Also, try drawing from a large scale to a small scale. For example, if you're drawing a face, don't start from an eye or lips until you get better. Draw guidelines for yourself. The shape of the head first, then lightly sketch where the hairline should be, then space the eyes evenly where they belong, and sketch features in LIGHTLY, try to keep everything in proportion. Otherwise, do some anatomy studies. Medical models, little plastic skeletons, life-drawing classes; these will help you to learn to keep proportion and placement of the muscles, etcetera.

Other than that, just practice. it's a long, hard road, and you can always improve. There's no such thing as being the best at art; even the greatest artists I know work to improve flaws based on their own and other's critiques. You've got a lot of potential and a lot of talent. Flex your creative muscles a bit; you'll go far.
    You can be the best at what you do, but you've never learned everything about anything.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    hej! i kinda checked this post by chance, would have never thought there would have been a comment here=)

thanks a lot for the comments and tips
    eheheh
    welll yes i definetly need to learn to shade...these sketches were dona in a very short period of time, at least the face studies (not the characters them selves) and i was kinds obsessed by pushing the blacks as far as possible...i kinda like it =) that┤s why they all look so black =)
    uhm..about drawing for life, yes i┤m gonna do it from now on...it was a bit hard..well actually almost impossible before as i wasn┤t actually able to understand the viewing process...but in the last days i studied hard!!! so i guess from now on i┤ll focus on life drawings trying to get a better feeling of reality, and realistic shading

about the large to small process, i always do that...almost always actually...when i try to draw concepts with nothing in mind, i just let the pencil go wherever it wants and try to give it some sense afterwards....but if i need to draw or to do anything in my life conciously, i always go from large to small =) i started my way through art modeling in 3d and it formed me this way =)
    when i┤ll go up another step i┤ll post some more sketches =)

thanks again for your comment, i really appriciate it =)

Thanks
    heh long time since i posted here last time. Well during this time i`ve started following the structure of man dvd, the skeleton part...but since i did it all in one breath after that i thought i needed a break from anathomy and i focused more or shading trying to get a decent cross/hatching and shading in general some smoothness and more confidence with the pencil. i also started to read perspective made easy but i`ve never finished it heeh most of the time was spent doing some shading and stuff like that. Recently i went over some matte surface shading...trying to get some basic understanding of lighting. Bah there is so much to learn that i really don`t know where to start from..ehe eheh i`m trying to do some concept designs to get familiar with the pipeline....i`m trying to do an illustration,trying to design every aspect of it...like the shot itself, the environment the creatures, the characters the spaceships and so on..so that i could get a basic understanding of wich direction i should move to and then try to do it in a good way ehehe
    if you feel like commenting or giving some critics to my job i would really appriciate it! thank in advance then eheheh

about the images. The one that look better and that are shaded better are copied with the grid method(T_T) from photos or anathomy books and took from some hours (anathomy stuff and scarlett johansson portrait) to several days eheh . the matte shadings are done folowing scott robertson`s dvds.
    the other anathomy sketches are made.were done following the structure of man dvd.

p.s. if for any reason s. stallone is going through this blog: i`m sorry about your face..i really couldn`t get it right!!

Thanks
    those value sketches are wicked! love the portrait of rocky

Thanks
    eheheh thank for the comment! yeah rocky it`s cool but it really looks like it was take after a match not during the training XP heheh
    what do you exactly mean with wicked here? is it good or bad? eheheh XD

Thanks
    some concepts i\m trying for the project i was talking about in the previous post..uhm...i'm really not satisfied with them...i'm not good at coloring and don't know what painting is hehe but the point of this exercises was to get some concepts and trying to get them to a basic level where you can understand the form and who they are done..well i'm not satisfied but i'll make a list of why i don't like them and try to work on those stuff as i move to another subject...think next one will be a creature or a some spaceships...don't know...i like the idea of the bond between a "human" and a "crature" that is something i've also put in these 2 but this was all a robot thingie well i don't know eheheh guess i'll start to build a favorites folder and try to get inspired meanwhile XD
    comments and critics are more than welcome...also if you want to suggest anything feel free i'm open to anything at the moment...don't really know what to do...there's so much to learn XD

Thanks
    You have made big improvements already! The Rocky portrait is great, and the skull studies are fantastic.

Keep it up !

Thanks
    Yeah I can see the improvement, love the portrait of rocky and the statues!

Good job with pencils now try to do more painting mabye,I guess its a good start!

Keep it up!
    ~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks

Stuff

Great progress throughout the posts! it's really nice to see improvement like this
    About the skull studies, the nose on the first one is too flat. It should protrude more so that it covers part of the eye socket from that point of view.
    But the drawings where you're using a grid are real quality stuff! They're great as rendering exercises, but they won't teach you that much about anatomy and proportions as some quick studies.
    Try drawing more complete figures. Forget about rendering for a while and just do line drawings, so that you get familiar with correct proportions.

Good luck!
    When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    eheh thanks a lot guys!! you really gave me lots of energy!! aha well the statues and the rocky thing were made to train shading...i was feeling very weak and insecure so i felt i needed to improve....well i like shading now and it`s relaxing...and more important now i see shading as the beginning of the drawing not as the end of it eheh
    well windmaker you`re right about anatomy but i needed some shading practice to be more concious of form chances and how to rapresent them on paper..that will for sure benefit my anatomy studies aswell
    and well if i then have to shade a well proportioned human, i`m not gonna screw it so bad now like i used to do before hehe
    ah and about the 1st skull yes well me and 3quarters view are not really good friends YET XD
    again thanks a lot for your comments, they are really a great payoff and really giving me more energy to go on ehehe
    cheers!

Thanks
    very nice man!! love the rocky portrait and the statue..
    complimenti e continua cosi'!!
    BLOG
    [/B][/URL]

Thanks
    hi again! haven't done much in this last month, i don't really know what to draw..so i'm did some creatures, some environments (not shown cause they sucked =) ) and at last some characters...i wanted to color since i had never done it seriously...well i'm still a bit puzzled..don't really know how to pick colors..and most of my stuff looks so unreal...guess i need more observation =) and some life painting =) well, we'll see what happens next! =) probably i'm gonna study a bit of muscle stuff, and focus on head paintings...as you can see all my chars have their heads hidden where it was possible XD
    most of the chars were are in sideview, cause they were done from thumbnails..and i found it more easy and inspiring to do side stuff, the idea was to catch the silouette and to get something out of it...they are not character designs..only the navigators are..and you can see the result....i might need to work more on proportions, legs and stuff waist parts...i don't feel very confortable with those...bah lots of work =)
    comments and critics more than welcome of course =)

Thanks
    some updates..i`m trying to focus on faces and heads....i`ve never been able to figure them out so i have some problems eheh
    anyway here`s the stuff.

Thanks
    wow, this one is quite a big update..heh, basicly all stuf i┤ve done during this month. I moved to sweden to study art, in a folkh÷gskola, uhm..so well don┤t have much to do here apart from drawing and that is good, so i┤m trying to get something out of this. Uhm..i┤m not really progressing as much as i┤d like...have lots of stuff to learn and i don┤t really know where to start from heh. I┤ll probably look for a mentor to help me a bit, here at school we┤re mostly doing painting, and is quite a free ambient so they don┤t put pressure on you on teaching and learning things...so...it┤s not really enough hehehe.

Uhm...at the moment i feel i┤m lacking in form shading...in the sesne that i can┤t have my shapes read right when i shade them...and also in figure drawing >_< i went thorugh the structure of man till the muscles and now i┤m trying to get a good feeling about drawing the figure but well seomtimes it┤s just frustrating when you redraw the same pose 20 times and it┤s still wrong and the page is all messed up ....cause i also have quite a heavy hand...(another thing to work on). Uhm...i also need to work on my painting...well i can┤t really see colors xD so...lots of stuff to start with eheheh let┤s see what october brings xD
    eheh

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast