Thanks

Exclamation How to create a nozzle?

Hello all!
    I've been trying to make a nozzle, I've tried Painter's help and also the directions in "Painter Wow!" and it just won't work.
    This is what I did:
    I've done the process of making a group and creating a nozzle from that group. A new file, that looks like a long horizontal black stripe appeared. I saved it as a RIFF file, then tried to load it-I got nothing.

Please help,
    Tali

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi,

Before you begin following these steps, take a look at the image below so you'll have an idea what I'm talking about:
    • In the top left corner is the grid containing Nozzle elements, each placed on a separate Layer.
    • Below that is a screen print of the Layers palette with the Group of Layers highlighted.
    • To the right of the Layers palette screen print, is another screen print of the Nozzle RIFF file.
    • To the far right is a brush stroke painted with the Nozzle and some text explaining the brush category, brush variant, and some extra brush control adjustments I made to that default Image Hose variant.

How to create a nozzle?

(This is bound to make you feel encouraged as surely anyone can create a more appealing Nozzle that this one!)

1. In the Canvas menu, choose Grid > Grid Options and set the grid spacing to the width and height that will hold the largest element in your Nozzle.

2. Open a new white Canvas large enough to contain two or three rows of Nozzle elements, depending on how many you plan to include.

3. Create a new Layer containing one of your Nozzle elements and using the Layer Adjuster tool, move that element into the first grid square on the left end of the top row.

4. Create another new Layer containing another of your Nozzle elements and using the Layer Adjuster tool, move that element into the second grid square from the left, on the top row.

5. Continue until you have your Nozzle elements each on a different Layer and placed in different grid squares. If you have, for instance, eight Nozzle elements, you'd have two grid rows each containing four Nozzle elements.

6. Hold down the Shift key, and in the Layers palette, highlight all of the Nozzle element Layers, then use Ctrl/Command+G to Group them.

7. In the Nozzle Selector menu, choose Make Nozzle from Group.

8. Save the resulting image in RIFF format.

To use the Nozzle:

1. In the Nozzle Selector menu, choose Load Nozzle, navigate to the folder where you saved the RIFF file and click the Open button.

2. In the Brush Selector menu, choose the Image Hose brush category.

3. Paint on the Canvas to see how your Nozzle works and if you don't like the result, choose another Image Hose variant and try again.

Last edited by Jin; August 1st, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jin I really want to buy you a drink for helping us out so much, your awesome!

Thanks
    Hi Sloth,

That was a very basic tutorial and you can do more with Nozzle creating but it should get you started at least. Then you can play to your hearts' content.

Sorry my Nozzle example is so ugly.

It's actually offensive to look at, isn't it?

Oh well, yours will be gorgeous by comparison.

Hope you'll show us how it turns out.

Just for pure silliness, here's a self portrait I did back in 2002

A Kaleidoscope made with the same Nozzle

Needless to say, I don't use Nozzles much, but every so often someone wants to learn how.

Dennis Berkla at DigArts is the original Painter Nozzle expert. Take a look at his site: DigArts

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory