Places to visit in Paris?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Places to visit in Paris?

I'm going to Paris , and tought i'd ask you for tips in what places to visit, since i have little knowledge of the place and i know you guys can give me some awesome suggestions.

The places I'll definately check out the Louvre and the catacombs, but i don't have much info on what else can i see in such a short time as a week.

Thanks for your time!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Basilique du Sacré-Cœur is one of the most ultimate pieces of Paris. If you go to Paris and don't check it out you've missed quite something.

Apart from that, I can never remember names, sorry, but there's a brilliant gallery other than the Louvre, but I just can't remember its name (though I'd recognise it if I came across it). There's a hellalot of stuff to do there, get a sort of tourist map and look for the certain quarters, different quarters means different food. Try also to find out about the history of the city, the shape of it (from a bird's eye view), why the roads are wide, etc.

For sites the Sacré Cœur is great, but there's also this huge tower block you might be able to get permission to go up. You can pretty much see Paris from it. As far as a tourist is concerned it can make a lovely viewing platform.

A week in Paris would just never seem long enough.

Last edited by Rhynome; April 14th, 2007 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for your tips, i'll check the places you mentioned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course you should see the usual sights like the Eifel tower, Sacré-Cœur, Notre-dame, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe and the Champs-Élysées.

The Musée d'Orsay, a formal trainstation which is now an artgallery has a great collection of mainly 19th and 20th century western art, defenitely worth checking out even if it's just for the beautifull architecture of the building itself.

Also the famous cemetery Père-Lachaise where famous people like Eugène Delacroix, Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison are buried is a stunning place to visit.
    It's huge and there are a lot of awesome monuments and tombes.
    It's like a town of the dead, quite eerie yet beautifull.

I think the tower block Rhynome meant is Tour Montparnasse, you can go all the way to the rooftop which gives you an awesome 360° view of the city at 210 meters above ground.

Close to the Sacré-Cœur on Monmartre is a nice square called Place du Tertre.
    It's a place where artists gather to draw and paint and try to sell their work to the many tourists there.
    This place is well known because of the many famous painters who used to live there.
    very interesting place to visit especailly if you're an artist yourself, although some caraciture- and portrait artists who want to draw your portrait can be very pushy which gets annoying at times.

Have fun man, Paris is a beautifull city, don't forget your camera!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeone
    The Musée d'Orsay, a formal trainstation which is now an artgallery has a great collection of mainly 19th and 20th century western art, defenitely worth checking out even if it's just for the beautifull architecture of the building itself.
    Yeah, that's the one the name of which I forgot. So that's two suggestions for the Musée d'Orsay, so you know what that means...

I think the tower block Rhynome meant is Tour Montparnasse, you can go all the way to the rooftop which gives you an awesome 360° view of the city at 210 meters above ground.
    Heh, yup.

Close to the Sacré-Cœur on Monmartre is a nice square called Place du Tertre.
    It's a place where artists gather to draw and paint and try to sell their work to the many tourists there.
    Definately, and if I remember correctly there are mimes (or just acts) as well. Mimes are usually very annoying, no matter what city, but these ones seem to get away with it. I'm not sure where exactly they are though, but they're somewhere around there.

Also enjoy the splendour that is the Paris Metro, and marvel as you have to change 50 times just to get to somewhere round the corner! What sort of twisted person ends up designing that kind of system, seriously?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to see the Catacombs - next time I'll try an unofficial route
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris

http://guerillaphotography.fotopic.net/c1096480.html

You can climb onto the roof of one of the department stores for free and get a unique view of the place, but i can't remember which store.....it was years ago....
    this place is good for more travel tips, www.virtualtourist.com[/url], it's more conventional, i don't think you'll see much advice to go wading into thigh high sewer water

Mozchopz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is that realy tall metal thing people make such a fuss about.................

lol, the eifel tower i think it is called..hmm yeah (lol i kid i kid i joke i joke) would be so good for base jumping lol- if you havent done base jumping you havent lived!

also check out the louvre-cool place- good cafes near lol.

you gotta have a crépe(french for pancake)(spelling?) or two also.

lense flare this bitch

GOT BRUSHES?..share them here> >CUSTOM BRUSH THREAD!

:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by life on the sofa
    you gotta have a crépe(french for pancake)(spelling?) or two also.
    it's not pancake
    it's beyond pancake
    try em with butter and suger (fuckin' addictive) and don't forget to pick up a fresh still warm croisant as the first thing to do after leaving the hotel
    eat em while they are still warm

you can visit Versaille if you want, very impressive and a lot of GIANT oilpaintings
    (and with giant I mean 5 meters high)
    http://www.chateauversailles.fr/

the catacombes are ace, very well worth the visit
    (sadly there are ppl who steal skulls from time to time)

pont neuf is cool too and you'll come across it anyways

stay away from the famouse places if you want to eat cheap but good
    you'll pay prices from hell if you don't
    (tonight we dine in hell, right next to the Champs-Élysées)
    there are masses of nice asian, indian and cafés in the smaller streets

have fun in the city of love then ^^

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The women there have lots of places to visit.
    Or if you're a woman, the men.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the musee d Cluny

Its the medieval art museum and its buils on top of an old roman arena
    Its very very cool if you like that sort of thing

the Print Galleries on the Rue de Seine
    you can hold an actuall picasso in you hands and pretend you can afford it
    Goyas and stuff
    I bought a couple aof great Etchings there. also the end of the street by the river is the sennier workshop and store.... fantastic art supplies.... pricy but worth it

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    musée Rodin is the place to be.

also check
    the national museum of natural history

currently playing: Kuhlau, Bach, Beethoven
    Le Order Nouveau!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come I can only see museums mentioned in here? I also love to go to Paris but I am more of the adventourous type. Is there not much to see in Paris on it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lady therese
    How come I can only see museums mentioned in here? I also love to go to Paris but I am more of the adventourous type. Is there not much to see in Paris on it?
    if you want some adventure, then why don't you try to go to Pigalle, the sexiest quartier of Paris ?

if you want some goth attitude then try the "Père Lachaise" Cemetary and visit the tomb of Jim Morrison.

if you want to find the most R&R bar in Paris then go to my favorite place "Les Furieux", ask the bartender Pascal and say I recomended you
    http://www.myspace.com/lesfurieux

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I walked everywhere.. Above ground, got caughtin the crowds on Bastille day and bought sheet Music and a musical instrument in the "Street of the GUitar makers" but IM weird
    Most of all... you eat...everything and anything... and enjoy the hell out of it
    I went and drew in Parc Monceau. I sat in coffee shops and drew passers by etc
    but I figure an art person would do all that anywya... and a non art person wd just think it was weird

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.