Critique of my Opera Singing Octopus Man
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique of my Opera Singing Octopus Man

San Antonio, Texas; One of the few states that enforce the death penalty...
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique of my Opera Singing Octopus Man

I would have put this in finished, however, and despite the fact that I probably won't fix this image since I can't well... find it anymore..., I just wanted to get some feedback about this guy.

I already know a few of things like that his arms look a bit too stiff, and that his torso is a bit long but I was wondering if there are a few other noteworthy things to point out...

Oh lord I'm afraid...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fear not, for I am with thee.

Arms are stiff, the hands are off too. The anatomy needs work but is still pretty good. Also, I'm not sure that straight white light reflects off of skin that way, tone it down. Add some highlights to the hair too.

Weird and cool. Keep it up.

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I'm in TX too, and hoorah for the death penalty...

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man...?
    His...?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Man...?
    His...?
    I do happen to draw girly men... sorry if you don't approve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzySocks
    I do happen to draw girly men... sorry if you don't approve.
    LOL! There is nothing wrong with a man in touch with his feminine side. However, some hint of masculinity in his face is needed. When men have muscles like that, they also have lots of testosterone, and lots of testosterone causes all of the body to be more heavily muscled, including the face and neck, and it causes the development of other masculine features, such as the adam's apple, wide jaw, heavy brow, and facial hair.

In other words, a girly head only looks correct on a girly body.

Great image, otherwise.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why, but his overly large belly button disturbs me more than his girlish features.

The shoulders have some funny muscle issues. His deltoids have some kind of extra mini-muscles at the insertion. They should just run smoothly into the side of the arm. Also, they seem to be sitting on top of the pecs, while they should actually sit under. Also, his abs are huge HUGE huge in proportion to his torso. The whole torso musculature needs more study.

I love the suckers on the tentacles

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your arms need some work as well the contour of the bicep perfectly match the contour of the tricep creating the sausage effect i'd reference some anatomy books or reference yourself in the mirror. I really like it overall i'd like to see the progression on this peice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    values!
    it seems you applied a colour wash over a pencil drawing withour darkering/lightening any aspect of the figure/tentacles.
    The highlights could use some work.
    interesting image though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the tentacles. One thing the others didn't mention, and maybe its because I'm incorrect, but it wasn't the feminine aspect of the face that I saw as off so much as that the alignment of the nose, mouth and chin. If you draw the basic understructure of the skull and such it actually seems as if the nose angles to the right of his chin and the mouth sort of angles oddly in between.

Someone else verify or deny what I am seeing.....I've not yet had my morning coffee. Otherwise I agree with most of the statements already made. With 'Opera singing' in the title though I kind thought I'd see a more dramatic arm pose and wide open mouth belting out an aria....he seems slightly passive and not so dramatic in gesture....though in form, the horns and tentacles are rockin.

~John Milton; Paradise Lost. Book i. Line 62~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    LOL! There is nothing wrong with a man in touch with his feminine side. However, some hint of masculinity in his face is needed. When men have muscles like that, they also have lots of testosterone, and lots of testosterone causes all of the body to be more heavily muscled, including the face and neck, and it causes the development of other masculine features, such as the adam's apple, wide jaw, heavy brow, and facial hair.

In other words, a girly head only looks correct on a girly body.

Great image, otherwise.

I agree with the musculature in the jaw area... which I fail at! XD But that's why I'm here! So huzzah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arms

Quote Originally Posted by ashrumm
    your arms need some work as well the contour of the bicep perfectly match the contour of the tricep creating the sausage effect i'd reference some anatomy books or reference yourself in the mirror. I really like it overall i'd like to see the progression on this peice.
    I agree... I have a couple anatomy books, but I think I need some better ones! Or I just don't reference them enough... but shoulders + arms are the hardest parts for me to draw... MUST.... IMPROVE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

highlights

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC
    values!
    it seems you applied a colour wash over a pencil drawing withour darkering/lightening any aspect of the figure/tentacles.
    The highlights could use some work.
    interesting image though

To be perfectly honest I did just slap on the highlights. But I will defenitly take that into consideration next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    I don't know why, but his overly large belly button disturbs me more than his girlish features.

The shoulders have some funny muscle issues. His deltoids have some kind of extra mini-muscles at the insertion. They should just run smoothly into the side of the arm. Also, they seem to be sitting on top of the pecs, while they should actually sit under. Also, his abs are huge HUGE huge in proportion to his torso. The whole torso musculature needs more study.

I love the suckers on the tentacles

I think I just need a better understanding of muscles PERIOD... at least you like the suckers... that makes me happy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahl
    I love the tentacles. One thing the others didn't mention, and maybe its because I'm incorrect, but it wasn't the feminine aspect of the face that I saw as off so much as that the alignment of the nose, mouth and chin. If you draw the basic understructure of the skull and such it actually seems as if the nose angles to the right of his chin and the mouth sort of angles oddly in between.

Someone else verify or deny what I am seeing.....I've not yet had my morning coffee. Otherwise I agree with most of the statements already made. With 'Opera singing' in the title though I kind thought I'd see a more dramatic arm pose and wide open mouth belting out an aria....he seems slightly passive and not so dramatic in gesture....though in form, the horns and tentacles are rockin.

Your right, now that I look at the alignment of the face something is a bit off, I also think it's partially due to how I angled the upper lip... the chin needs to be rotated to the left a bit... and then I think it would look alot better. As for the Opera bit, I should have made a more dramatic pose, but I was mostly thinking of the story behind it rather than making it come through in the picture which was also bad on my part!

Thanks for the tips though!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.