Did Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki went to school for animation?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Did Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki went to school for animation?

Hi there!

I am a bit curious how are they different from everyone else who went to an art school, who has incredibly amount of debts but shares the same dream as them. I notice that the art society today really is growing up stressing what art school to choose from and getting a degree for animation or any related art fields such as music and dancing. Did they even have many art school to choose from before and pick which one is the best? Is it pure talent and determination and maybe everything what separates them from the rest?

Sorry for the rant, but what if you don't have talent? Can talent and creativity be taught at school? And does degree and what school you attend really matters? Please, I'm looking for an answer because I'm in the middle of making my decision whether I should go to a very top-notch art university and pay $30,000 a year to get a degree. I apologize again because I am in my last year of high school and want to know these questions. From what I see nowadays, I think it matters. Please correct me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't have talent than you manifest it within you. Nobody is a illustrator after their first drawing, it takes time practice and patience. Talent and determination is a contributing factor, its almost like the "eye of the tiger". The school and degree doesn't matter, but if you want a degree for personal reasons or achievments than go ahead. An example would be: a company is looking for a artist, on the one hand they have someone with a mfa or whatever but on the other hand there is another person without a degree who has superior skills, more than likely they will choose the no degree guy. But that doesn't mean not getting a degree is going to give you skill, the individual makes the choices. Try looking around your local schools.

I'm becoming more of a renissance man every day.
    Yea i'm that awesome.
    The lord is my light and salvation-so why should I be afraid?-Psalm 27:1
    Jesus said,"Stop your doubting and believe!"-John 20:27
    God has said,"I will never, never fail you nor forsake you."-Hebrews 13:5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In Walt Disney's youth animation was a new art and there were no schools to teach it. The art progressed through experience and necessity, and people were trained on the job. This was the case until very recently. Not that long ago there were only 2 animation schools in North America!

Currently, companies want students with entry level skills. It won't matter whether or not you have a degree, but it will matter that you have a professional attitude and skills! You need to find a school that will give you traditional art and animation skills as well as knowledge of basic 2D and 3D computer animation programs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And just as a side note, Disney wasn't really that great at animation himself. He found out through experience that he was actually a better motivator. Disney should be hailed as a great business man; of course he helped to pioneer animation, but it was moreso through his fabulous team of artists than through his own skill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Disney was also an excellent story teller. He could pitch stories like no one else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not exactly sure if using Walt Disney or Hayao Miyazaki would be a fair comparison in this day & age. They're from a long gone era in the business. And while Miyazaki is still generating some phenomenal pictures, I'm sure the skills his company is looking for isn't what was around when he broke into the business.

I would possibly look to more contemporary people to utilize as a template... or possibly people who are landing the latest greatest jobs. See how they did it and try to emulate them.

I'm sure one of the most common denominators of all of them are that they are talented and very determined. Whatever God given talent they were born with, they manifested and ran with. Just because one has talent does not mean they'll last in the business (primadonnas are hated). Drive and ambition also count for a lot, but one also has to be able to get their foot in the door as well. It's a tough business to break into at times but as an artist with a sense of passion should be able to succeed.

The career of being an artist never stops. Just because I'm not drawing 24/7 doesn't mean I'm not living my life (even if it's watching the TV or out playing some sport)- and my life influences my art. I'll never be a complete artist but it doesn't mean I stop either. To be a true artist is to be consumed by a drive to see and do more (I think about how many of my old professors have retired but have never given up drawing).

So for you, I'd suggest going off to school. Surround yourself with like-minded and driven people. It helps. It's obviously your journey so why not go forth and make it a good one. To idolize or look up to the accomplishments of Disney or Miyazaki is great but this is also a new day and age where you can take the lead too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walt Disney actually did very little of his own animations. He was the storyteller and a shrewd buisnesness man which is why he did so well.
    There is even some evidence that he did not draw Mickey Mouse. Anyways.

Disney went to night art classes in his youth but other than that had very little formal training and learned most of what he knew from 'on the job training'

As for today its a fine blance some people can get jobs through pure talent others need more training to hone their skills

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! All your words are very inspiring! I'll take it to account. I will work very hard now to hone my skills and someday it will be a step closer. It will be like playing "eye of the tiger" music at top of my head. I guess it takes everything. No, it's a lifestyle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great question and great answers from the community! I've been debating that same question, and I certainly like the idea of going to school and hanging around people like-minded and driven people.

Now, I need to pour of this well crafted piece of (marketing) information packet from Academy of Art in San Fran!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BASICLY EVERY ONE ABOVE IS RIGHT- TALENT CANT BE TAUGHT-skill can be learnt-style can be devloped- individuality will set you apart from the crowd.

like the others have said again- walt disney was a guy who had pretty casic knowledge of art.. i mean his characters are no michelangelo's stick legs and big round ears but combination of his individual style appealing to kids, his buisness knowledge and his power to create a great atmosphere from a story put him among the most famous of animators/artists..etc etc also he was one of the richest men alive in his time. probrably doest fair to badly now lol.

sofa

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.