Fun Times
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Fun Times

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fun Times

Here are some experiments I was using with some brushes. Tell me what you think.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think I like your username. ;-)

Good experiments here. The second one kinda stinks: the composition is dull, and the marks used to make the horizon and ground flatten that part of the image and make it look like it was paper sliced with a knife. The color usage is rather arbitrary, and I get the feeling you don't entirely grok what is going on with the lights.

The top image works because you have used interesting combinations of marks. Some of them look a bit too much like filter effects, but you're getting somewhere interesting with them. The ripples aren't in perspective properly. The combination of flat comic-strip-character-silhouette against realistic trees is wonky for a stand-alone image in which the character isn't known. That sort of thing only works well if you're using a character the audience will recognize. But, over all, nice job.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks Seedling. Thats really incitefull. Those ripples look terrible now that you pointed them out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you could blur the edges of the figure in your first piece he is just too harshly outlined for the foggy surroundings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi-
    I like the mood of the first one, you nailed that aspect.
    My only real gripe with it, is you seem to be using the smudge tool to mix the colours to the desired effect, instead of painting it in.
    My second crit is the focal point.
    The first thing I notice are the trees in the centre, instead of the fisherman.
    Because you use an interesting texture, my eyes gravitated towards it before the other bits..
    I would personally move the fisherman closer, so he appears larger.

Another thing to watch out on-..depth
    Use lower opacity brushes in the background to make certain areas pop out, and put dark objects in the foreground to balance it out-
    AlexC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys. That really helpful. I'm going to repost the first one tonight and see how that goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.