Thanks

Is it just me or the marking in art is tougher than any other subjects?

I had art last semester. Fun as usual. Work was easy since i know how to draw and paint. But even though you are the most awsome artist and can produce amazing drawings/paintings, i've noticed that you will never get 100% on it. No matter how good your work is, the teacher has to like it to give you good marks on it but still not 100% or even 99%.

Compared to my other classes, in which i've put alot less effort and most of the time i don't really even know what is going on or do i care about it. But still, i can get decent to good marks without really even trying. If i don't really try it in art, i would most likely end up failing, like last year(didn't fail but close to it). This year of course i tried harder and did the projects with care. Recieved 87% which is good but i was expecting it to go up to 95%. That's why i am saying, getting good marks in Art is alot harder than getting good marks in any other classes. And no matter how good your work is, the teacher has to like it. I had a great teacher no doubt. Very nice. Had alot of fun in the class. I just wanted to bring that issue out.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Art can never be perfect silly goose.
    There is always something to improve on, so 100% for a piece is a fallacy.
    Sounds like your still on school level, but at college (at least where I study), 80% means you're just about at the top of your class by miles.
    Keep studying.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    If you are interested in making a career of art, then you need to go beyond the notion of grades. Grades don't matter. Only your skills, and what you do with those skills, matter.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    Compared to my other classes, in which i've put alot less effort and most of the time i don't really even know what is going on or do i care about it. But still, i can get decent to good marks without really even trying. If i don't really try it in art, i would most likely end up failing, like last year(didn't fail but close to it). This year of course i tried harder and did the projects with care. Recieved 87% which is good but i was expecting it to go up to 95%.
    I think you should get down on your knees and be thankful you have at least one teacher with standards.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    I think you should get down on your knees and be thankful you have at least one teacher with standards.
    I don't want to know what 'being thankful' entails in that bent-knee situation :p

I have a teacher that focusses COMPLETELY on the technial side. I draw for my surrel pic a naked chick whos skin is exploding off and reveals her muscles and bones in certain places. It wasn't 'simple' enough, and he pointed to another student pic with a tube of paint with a snake coming out.

I got marked low also because I didn't have a full enough value range. It a least keeps my stuff full of value, with all the different parts of shading. Much welsome escpape from the teacher who focusses only on the idea and never on the technical side....

Thanks
    indeed.. dont worry about your grades. they're not a measure of your skill. you need to pass and all, but dont let them hold you back. if anything, you're trying harder to get a better grade and maybe improving because of them. in the long run.. no one will care about your grades, only what you're capable of doing. worry about improving your skills.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I personally felt that trigonometry was tougher than art when I was in school, but maybe that was just me
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I received A grades continuously for spilling some watercolor on paper and smudge it around until it was mostly brown and looked like a piece of crap. I was told by the teachers how good I was and how much better I was compared to the rest of the class. Didn't give me much tho, because I was always unhappy with what I was creating. In sixth grade I was to draw an eye for a monster that we were building for a theater project. The teacher told me the eye sucked and I was given D and E grades ever after. Grades are nothing. As is art class in school. And you are your toughest critic.

Thanks
    One of my friends got either 100% in her art A level. Granted she was a good artist, but she got 100% because she fulfilled ALL of the marking critera to such a degree that i dont think the examiners COULD give her less.

The point is that teachers especially in art have to have some fair way of giving everyone a grade wether they like your stuff or not - though that can have an effect on the grade and so there is marking critera and you could be the best artist in the world but you would fail if you didn't meet the critera as well as visa versa you could suck completely but you met the critera so they would have to give you a pass.

I got a B at A-level which is probably more than i deserve i didn't exactly kill myself to get it. But when it came to leaving 6th form to go to college/uni they didn't care about my grades all they wanted to look at was my portfolio. In the end grades are only a piece of paper with a letter on them...and pictures speak louder than words...

Thanks
    Art is the easiest class for me. Art and Computer class. Right now I'm busting my ass off just to pass Physics.

Thanks
    I was terrible and I got straight A's. Maybe if I was the most "awsome" artist, I'd have a different story to tell, though....

Thanks
    If I had always been given A's in art at scool, I would have tacken the whole subjecktmatter less seriously and would have improved less.