100 Artists Project
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post 100 Artists Project

First off, if this should go in the Non-Paying Art Jobs, I apologize. It's not really a job, but a volunteer for charity project. I understand completely if it gets moved.

Second, I apologize for using my first post here for this. I've been looking at the art here for a long time and just never had the nards to post myself.

With that...

Thought I'd let you know about a big project going on over at Penciljack.

Inspired by the 1000 Journal project, I've started an endeavor called The 100 Artists Project. The goal is to collect original cartoon, comic book, illustrative or graphic art and auction it off for organizations that support comic artists; The CBLDF and the Hero Initiative. The project consists of two phases: One, each artist sends in a piece of art which are scanned and then bound. The bound book is auctioned and the scanned art is sold online. Two, and the more ambitious, is a single sketchbook that is mailed to all 100 artists, each adding a sketch or drawing or illustration in turn. That book will also be scanned, then auctioned off as well as published.

It's a big project but the end results and the reasons we're doing it should be well worth it. We're close to 70 artists right now and could use some fresh blood.

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75933

Even though the main info thread lives at that board and most of the artists are there, it's by no means a PJ only project. I'm just using the boards as a way to disseminate information.

My email is in the thread and if you have any questions, feel free to post there or shoot me an email. Thanks for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With under a week left, we're at a smallish 15% of the total participation needed for the first part of the project. If you've been putting this off, now's the time to hunker down and get drawing. If you haven't signed up, now's the time to get your name in.

Deadline or not, the first 100 images will be put in the first book. Also, if you send in a drawing, the Big Mailer sketchbook will definitely be sent your way as well.

Now's the time.

If you're unfamiliar with the project, you can get all the information you need at our site.

http://www.100artistsproject.com

If you have any other questions, just ask. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like a good project that could be really interesting to be apart of. I'm just wondering how much of a response you'll get since there are so many people out there who try to scam the good artists of this, and other communities asking for donations of art, or for people to send submissions of some sort of another, and then end up stealing or ripping off the art and claiming it as their own. I guess before you can expect a ton of participation you'll have to establish yourself in the community first.

Good luck if this is legit. If I were a better artist I'd be happy to join in.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My delay in responding should illustrate at least that I'm not an ensconced member of CA, but that's not because of lack of professionalism or anything, just that I'm a member of so many other sites it's just hard to know which ones to focus on.

Anyway, I hope this shows that the project is legit in that the project has been going strong for a while now, but we still need artists.

The Single Mailer still needs 30 more pieces to make 100, so plenty of spaces open to get in a drawing.

The Big Mailer sketchbook is off to its 11th stop and has really picked up some momentum over the last couple artists.

Please stop by and take a look and even if you aren't interested in participating, write about it, talk about it, let people know it's there.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Folks, we've only got 20 spots left for the 100 Artists Project Single Mailer phase. To date I've received 80 pieces of art, I'm very excited.

However, we still have 20 to go so if you want to get your piece in the first book, you'll have to do it soon. Don't wait, visit the site, get the info and send in some work. If you've been siting on the fence or putting it off thinking you have time, now's the time to do it.

Big thanks to all those people who've sent work in, you've shown real moxy getting involved in a project like this and I applaud you.

Carry on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear ,

i also want to be a part of 100 artist .. how can i proceed... where i have to send the images ...
    just help ..

cannible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cannible, sorry for the delay, I've got posts all over the place and it's hard to keep track. If you haven't already gone to the site and checked out the info, I'd suggest starting there.

http://www.100artistsproject.com. It's got info on what size art to do, where to send it and other items.

Also, thanks to the relentless input by soon to be contributor Chris Tinkler, I've thrown together a promotional flier people can print off and take to their local comic shops.

http://www.100artistsproject.com/promo.pdf

(The artwork on the flier is care of Rodrigo Laiz, Eric Schock and David Montoro, chosen at random.)

Please, print a few out. Take them to book stores, comic shops, record stores, coffee shops, any place the would support art.

I'll also be blitzing a few more sites today to spread the word. I expect we'll be done soon with the Single Mailer so I want to make sure folks know about the artwork soon to be available and the cause.

Carry on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone. Quick update. We're up to 98 with a couple on the way so very close to being done with the first part of the project.

My big concern is when the collected work goes up for auction, it doesn't get the views it deserves. When you figure most people would charge between $50 and $100 for what they've sent in, and there are 100 pieces, you can imagine what kind of pressure the project is under to pull in some good money to go to the chosen charities.

What this means is I need help promoting the auction when it goes live. I haven't nailed down the presentation yet (whether to keep all the art in a portfolio binder or have it all bound together like a single sketchbook) but when I do, I need as many people as possible to help get the word out that it's going on. The more people see it, the more will bid on it and HOPEFULLY the right people will see it and raise the bids up a bit.

But don't worry, digital reprints will be done for those who just want to enjoy the work. I figure no more than $20 and you could get a copy for your own coffee table.

Thanks for reading, please do keep an eye on the blog as the news will be coming faster and more frequently as the project wraps up.

http://100artists.blogspot.com

Cheers!
    -ben

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    100 Pieces of Art Received!

For those who haven't read back, the 100 Artists Project started as a small idea about a message board collaborative art project. It's since blossomed into a major endeavor and after only 10 months, 100 different people have sent artwork in to support the project. Some have sent more than one, some have sent something twice.

In that time, a single sketchbook has traveled the country 16 times. Before it's done it will have traveled to most US states as well as a dozen countries.

But for now the first part is done.

I have some reading to do now about which online printer could do this for me, but the next step is to get good scans of all the work and then put it up for auction. I was never able to secure a decent scanner so I'll be going to FedEx/Kinkos to scan them all if they've got something that big. Once that's done, I'll post all 100 pieces on eBay. There will be a link back to this blog and the main site. Then I'll spring for the ad on Fark and maybe a few other places. Then I'll update every message board I can find with the link to the auction.

I'm going to wait a while before putting the art print book up for sale, probably have it go online as soon as the auction is over. I don't want to discourage folks from trying for the original art first. I'm going to list the auction at $500 to start. It sounds like a lot, but that's $5 a piece and I think that's REALLY low.

I'm also going to close the form mailing page for a while as well. I need to retool the project and offer people a choice of which project they'd like to join. I want to reword a lot of the site so it's less confusing and people actually only sign up if they're going to participate rather than signing up to sign up. I also need to research a few other charities. I have some ideas for matching projects so we'll see if it all works.

But the good news is, the first part is officially over. We made it. We're done! I'm very excited.

Official scanning of the art has begun so I'm in the process of planning the next phase of the project while the Big Mailer continues its run and people can continue to contribute if they'd like.

A list of projects will probably look like this.

* 100 Artists Single - 100 pieces supporting the CBLDF and Hero Initiative.
    * 100 Artists Big - One sketchbook sent to 100 people, supporting Hero and CBLDF.
    * 100 Artists Youth - 25 piece auction and book sales supporting the International Child Art Foundation. Must be 18 or under to qualify for this.
    * 100 Artists Digital - 50 piece digital art only books supporting maybe the Chicago Arts Partnerships in Educaiton.
    * 100 Artists Moleskine - One small moleskine book supporting the Center for Cartoon Studies Scholarship Fund.

Those are the ideas I have, not set in stone. However, what this will require of me other than more organizational chutzpah is a bit of a site revamp. So I'm going to ask again for help if anyone is good with site building. I have a few people I know who are good with this, but I've taxed them beyond the level a friend should when it comes to site design and creation, so I'm looking for new blood. I COULD do it myself, but it'd be messy and probably very poorly designed.

I'm using this blog more and more to disseminate news and updates and such. I'd like to integrate it into the site proper via an RSS script. That's easy. But I'd also like to develop ways for people to pick the project they'd like to do. I suppose a drop down with the lists would be the easiest way. I'd also like a way to track each project better, from current contributions to how much money has been raised when they go for auction/sale.

So if you have any expertise in that area please let me know and we can work something out.

I've also been asking around for sponsorships but I think I'm going to be out of luck until I file to become a 503 (c) non-profit and begin keeping budget records and have some kind of financial plan, which frankly would be a giant headache; I'm no good with my own finances. So I guess if you have any expertise in that kind of thing, I'd love some help there too.

That's all for now, thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might be in for the youth if there isn't more talented young people who wants my spot.

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diphallia - Just keep an eye on the site. When the next projects come up, it'll be open enrollment. Just sign up if you want to be a part.

In other news, the auction is up! Please help spread the word.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Artists-Proj...QQcmdZViewItem

If the link doesn't work, it's item #320217069221.

Thanks for help bringing this to a reality.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really love to get in on the youth thingy also. I've done a few charity things in the past. They're loads of fun. Do you want just 2d drawings/paintings or would you be interested in some 3d objects. I've done bowling pins for charity. I could paint a mailbox or something similar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    I'd really love to get in on the youth thingy also. I've done a few charity things in the past. They're loads of fun. Do you want just 2d drawings/paintings or would you be interested in some 3d objects. I've done bowling pins for charity. I could paint a mailbox or something similar.
    I honestly don't know yet. 2d is easier to transport and eventually auction or sell or donate or whatever, but I'm not about to start turning people away.

Right now I'm going to baby this first volume's auction, get the printed version up and ready to go and then I'll focus on the starting up more projects. If you can be patient, I'll find away to make it work for whatever you want to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey folks, just a quick update. The 100AP is now available online through Indy Planet. Proceeds still go to the funds 100%.

http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=901

Tell all your friends, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After many months of promises and false starts, the second round of the 100AP is underway. Please visit the main site for all the details.

www.100artistsproject.com

What's New?

I've broken up the original projects and have added a few more. The mail in 100 now ties in to the CBLDF and the sketchbook goes to Hero. The new ones are the 25 piece youth project supporting the International Child Art Foundation, the 50 piece digital art supporting the Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education and the Moleskine book supporting the Center for Cartoon Studies.

The sign up page is active and I'll be sending out emails to the charities as well as some studios to drum up interest. If you're part of this community already, you've probably submitted work for volume one and all I ask is that you help talk up the relaunch anywhere you can.

Thanks for your continued support.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still plenty of spots open for all projects. The moleskine is going to go out soon and the sketchbook will be back in circulation. Still, I've only received one piece of work since the project relaunched on August 13th. So what's keeping you?

Not to steal from the fine community here, but I've also started a message board for contributors (or anyone) to come and discuss anything you'd like, network with people, post your art and that like.

http://100artists.proboards.com

Help me keep the project rolling by participating. It only works if we have dedicated contributors, and you can be that.

Thanks all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, gonna do a cool piece for some other stuff, could send it in here if you can't find anything better!
    haha!

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diphallia View Post
    Hm, gonna do a cool piece for some other stuff, could send it in here if you can't find anything better!
    haha!
    Any and all work is welcome. Not looking for the best, just looking for contributors.

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.