Sketchbook: What I do instead of homework

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What I do instead of homework

Hi everyone! I'm an amateur artist with no serious art training. One summer when I was 13 I drew 100 portraits on my own. And that was the last time I "trained" or improved. I'm 21 now and have decided to start a sketchbook.

These are some pieces from my sketch book. My goal is to draw 5 a day. It's been a couple of weeks so I'm posting a selection of what I have done. The drawings are posted in chronological order except for the first one, which is a self-portrait. I used a digital camera instead of a scanner and I guess the lighter lines suffer because of it.

The subjects are mostly life-drawings of people and friends (the nude figure drawings have poses that range from 1 minute to 5 minutes). Some other drawings are copies of ads from fashion magazines.

Any constructive criticism is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Victoria

Attached Images Attached Images                                                      
    Last edited by YouIsSpecial; April 9th, 2007 at 04:58 AM. Reason: formatting
    Please visit my sketchbook

"Uno cree que los años pasan para uno...pero pasan también para los demás." -Episodio del enemigo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

An older sketch from memory. I'm working on a creative writing piece for class on the subject of the drawing. I thought the drawing was decent at the time, but now, after working through a sketch book of figure drawing, I already see lots of areas that need improvement. proportions of arms and legs, shading is awkward. Rar.

"Uno cree que los años pasan para uno...pero pasan también para los demás." -Episodio del enemigo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man
    good to see you so motivated about it. Some of those from life are really nice, like the line and that they are at times vivid and loose like that one. Drawing from imagination, life or memorry is always good. But the oppinions part when it comes down for photorefferance. As photographies distort perspectife and one fails to grasp the volume and charakter of the subject unless one is already scilled enough to bypass that.
    Besides your quick studies and works I would advise you to do sth. that might tacke more time. To give a try for composition, render, bodyweight, light, proportions and all that good stuff. So you would get more comfortable with the basics. If you grant yourself for example only .3-seconds for a leg or a finger, and repeatingly merely draw them as two parallel lines out of timelack for more, before you know it, you start thinking, a leg would really be drawn by 2 parallel lines. (hope this was understandable)
    tacke care

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky: You're totally right. I need more practice on the basics. I never really worked on drawing muscles, hands, or any part of the human body, always just did quick sketches.

For the past week I've been working on the black and white self portrait for class. It's 6 feet tall and by far the longest I've spent on anything...

The pencil sketches are older studies, but the shadings are super hasty...

And finally, in an effort to use up the acrylic paint leftover from my portrait, the last one was sketched on the back of a folder

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Excuses

I have no time lately. My thesis is due in 3 weeks. And other classes. Etc., etc., this goes to infinity.

As such, a few quick sketches today. The detailed studies will have to wait...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost forgot [to mention] that today is my birthday. Kind of anticlimactic, I must say. After you hit 21 there really isn't another milestone birthday until like 50, huh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there.....
    , MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY ... Happy Birthday to you! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Well ... welcome to CA keep posting - youre off to a good start. try some anatomy studies and drawings from life to improve...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Markers!

I've never drawn with markers before. I really like the smooth feel of the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rupeshtalaskar,

Thanks for the birthday wish and the encouragements!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Going to class

A couple of sketches I did of a friend and professor. And then a sketch sans ref. The anatomy is iffy. But believe it or not I feel I've improved a lot since last month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Happy belayed Birthday!
    Hope you had a good one.

Your B&W Sp's looking nice, like the camouflage-like pattern to it, although those same patterns, distrakt when placed on Background. The transitions between colourspots simply might have been softer. LIke the general look of it a lot.
    The Markerscetches have some really nice touches to em for sure, but, the hetching kinda kills the fluid lines around.
    so long....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Blacky. I really appreciate your detailed and relevant critiques--and that you take time to visit here! And thanks for the encouragement and birthday wishes.

FYI: I will be MIA for about a week, as my senior thesis is due on Friday... For now, I can only dream of sleep...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am back.

Sorry for the conspicuous lack of updates. In the past two months I wrote a thesis, became finalist for the best thesis award for said thesis. I also drew a lot. Due to time constraints, I am uploading a fifth of my new sketches right now. The rest will come later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And more

More from April and May.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got a very loose style of drawing and i like your experimentation of different media.

itd be wicked to see some imaginative stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And more

More from the sketchbook. Sorry about the multiple posts. My computer crashed last time and I didn't want to waste time reuploading 20 images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ped454 View Post
    you've got a very loose style of drawing and i like your experimentation of different media.

itd be wicked to see some imaginative stuff
    Thank you ped454! I am still learning to draw the basic human form. I hope I'll be comfortable enough to do some imaginative stuff in a month or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really love your figure sketches and the type of stylization you got going with them as well. I would love to see some more renderd pieces from you but I still love seeing the simple studies too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More from the hiatus

Thank you for your encouragements Zoroko, I left some feedback on your sketchbook as well.

I wish I can give captions to individual images, sigh. Well an overview:
    -All of the calligraphy pen drawings of the male nude were done in one sitting, and it was the first time I had used those pens. The female nude was a separate sitting.
    -All of them are done very fast, but I do hope to go into more time-consuming work in the summer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    it seem syou're improving.
    Like those black ink- lifedrawings.
    Perhaps it might help if you try predrawing stuff with sth like a hard pencil you could erase later, so when drawing with a pen on top your lines would look more confident and would worry less about proportions, composition and such.
    Anyways. so long....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

detailed study

This pencil study of a drawing of a plaster sculpture took me 2.5 hours.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.