gargoyles
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: gargoyles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

gargoyles

Recently I've been experimenting with my brushes & trying to get a better grasp on my colour theory/use......Id especially appreciate advice on my colour stuff (im still struggling-I will continue to study ) but all crits welcomed

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    let's jus say, i'm glad you didn't use lens flare......~!

anyways, ur perspective is all wonky.
    hm, well you should see more of the bottom of the gargoyles.
    i'd raise one higher than the other.
    you've got a tangent with the back of the ear on the left garg with the building.
    the character doesn't really fit the rest of the piece. she's really simple too, i'd add sumthing to tell more of a story, tell more about her character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool!

Perspective looks wonky, but that's on purpose, right? I agree that the little girl doesn't fit in as well as she should and it's mainly the coloring on her that's bothering me. You've used a lot of grays for the shadows. Now, this seems to work on the stone surfaces you've painted, but not so much on the little girl. The shadowed portion of her face just looks muddy, as do the shadows on her dress and shoes. Instead of using gray for the shadow, I'd try using a more saturated color, like purpley-red or blue, depending on what hue the light source is (note: I can't check while replying since it's an attachment). Try a few things out: since it's all digital, you can always change it if you don't like it.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers guys

afterthought: I've twisted the gargoyles a little to hopefully balance the picture more and yes, I probably should have shown more of the underneath of the gargoyles-woopsie

bluefooted: thanks for your pointers, and indeed-the perspective is meant to be all screwy...I've added some colour to the face, as well as made a few other tweeks-your comments are much appreciated (especially the colour pointers as I definatly need them)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The repaint is a definite improvement but you need to work on whats sharp and whats fuzzy. Its visually confusing when you have the pedestals the gargoyles are on fuzzy and the gargoyles sharp. And if you want the little girl to be sharp then more of the area around her needs to be sharp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers glitteranddoom, the more I look at this the more I dont like it, im gonna go back and re-colour it at some point, will be a good practice i feel, cheers for the advice...I shall work on that when I get back to it for sure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely work, I like the composition, and the smiling gargoyles is really a fresh perspective...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.