Physical exercise

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Physical exercise

Does physical exercise help beyond the ordinary stuff like increasing blood flow, better metabolism etc.? My question is that can it help for getting the creative "juices" flowing?

I'm not talking about if you want to improve you have to draw till your hands bleed and then if you reached that point you put on some medical salve and plasters, rest a day or two until you gained enough confidence to draw again. I'm talking about getting motivated and creative. Creating something that makes people go wow I never thought of it that way.

I'm sorry for this but I just felt that I needed to get that of my chest.

Just call me Ferdi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exercise makes you feel a bit better, destresses you, all that. I'd say yes, exercise will help with it. It won't make your more creative, I suppose, it'd just mean that you're gonna use it. Do you get ideas when you're about to fall asleep? 'Cos for me it's pretty much the same after exercise. I exercise then I go for a long walk, or something (sit on the train to where I'm going, etc.); it's in that bit that I start having crazy ideas like, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great for relaxing you into drawing, but boxing doesn't help a lot, after a punchbag session my hands are shaky jake.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by asoir
    It's great for relaxing you into drawing, but boxing doesn't help a lot, after a punchbag session my hands are shaky jake.
    and after jacking off you filthy bastard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by asoir
    you have to box against training-mates or sb. to get that Testosterone flowing.

I'd say sports is a good counterweight for the sitting all day in the corner, drawing thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blacky
    you have to box against training-mates or sb. to get that Testosterone flowing.

I'd say sports is a good counterweight for the sitting all day in the corner, drawing thing.
    I do now, but I practice the bag at home, its a good workout if you do it with gusto!

Ferdinand- yeah, if you bust the wrist it can halt art for a while, knuckles are ok. about the shaky hand thing, its only for a while after using the punchbag, so it'd probably be best to draw before you start hitting things

peace

ps. alexc is pretty much a filthy bastard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a good workout you should get those endorphens pumping through your veins, only problem is that sometimes you can be too knackered to draw afterwards.
    My gym recently closed down so my art belly is slowly begining to develop, pretty lame excuse for not doing exercise but I prefer lugging big weights than running all over the place. I should do something soon though.

Seeing friends can be a big booster too, if your like me and live in the middle of no where then inspiration can get really shitty on your own. If you have easy access to friends then go chill with em, you'd be suprised how much we take them for granted.

Have fun

Rich.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Man
    My gym recently closed down so my art belly is slowly begining to develop
    Art belly? Haha, that's a first.

Yeah, I find some light physical exercise helps my drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for everyone taking the time to answer my question, but I think I should exercise to see what happens because relaxing doesn’t help me much. The more I relax the sleepier I become "as it is supposed to". The fact is that when people dream they either remembers it or they forget or there's a chance that people don't know that they dream "like me for instance".

Originally posted by AlexC

and after jacking off you filthy bastard
    I don't think he meant it that way, but that is exercise to you know although not a very good one

asoir I’ve been considering boxing for some time now and I’m well aware of the risks that my hands would get hurt or something. Like they say: no pain no gain.

Just call me Ferdi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ferdi - try it out and see what happens my friend. For me relaxing definitely works, it's important not to be judgmental of ideas whilst your are getting them. And yes creativity can be exercised and for many - like myself - it doesn't just fall out of nowhere.

Try not to get too bogged down, focus on what you are doing but keep your mind open to new interpretation and ideas - no matter how awful they might seem, because you need to take the good with the bad.

Hope all that make sense.
    cya round my friend!

AlexC - you filthy bastard!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Plus, once you are on a regular routine, it helps with energy level over all. Rightnow, I havent worked out for quite a long time, and my posture has gotten quite bad to the point i cant sit in front of a peice of paper or the computer to long due to back pain. It hurts a lot in the kneck and upper back. To describe the pain it feels like it needs to be cracked all the time, and pisses me off, sometimes if it's really bad I ger a horrible pain in the mid back that's not easy to explain. So also try to get into a stretching routine.

As an artist, I personaly wouldnt advise weight lifting, especially if your starting out. You'll get sore, and shaky at times. Unless your willing to do weight lifting, make sure you have lots of patience and do it right.

I'd say get into extreme stretching, cardio, and exercises that require your own body weight such as push ups, all kinds (Diamonds, Finger Tip, Fist, elevated etc), sit ups, and squats. Try to get flexible and work on your posture when drawing, because it can seriously screw up your neck and upper back. That's my 2 cents, and what i'm going to be doing starting tommorow. Also, watch your diet.

Last edited by Costau D; April 8th, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Consistent excercise increases the number of (saratonin?) receptors in the brain and (saratonin?) is what is given off by the brain when you feel pleasure.(and "pleasure" doesn't immediatly mean something dirty, anything that makes you happy triggers (saratonin?)).
    I always feel good and ready for anything after a good training session though I wouldn't say I'm more creative afterwards, I get my good ideas while on the toilet or in the shower.

Too those who always dreamt too big, went too far, worked too hard and found their own way... I salute you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's pretty much a case of a healthy body housing a healthy mind. If you feel strong physically, you're going to feel good mentally, and for most people that's the best zone to be creative in.

I did 1050 pushups yesterday! I do them in bunches though.

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; April 9th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that to stay strong in my body to be one of the more important aspects of being creative. I'll be 48 in a few months. I've also had to work out more and differently due to all the art and digital stuff that I have been doing over the years.

Another reason to be physical is to know your body and all it's bones and muscles helps you draw better. And knowing your center (yoga is excellent) is power.

~M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me, a filthy bastard?
    lol, aroir admitted he was "pro at that shit, and it didnt happen"
    to me afterwards
    like staying physically fit, i think its important to stay artisticly fit too..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, going to the gym improved my anatomical knowledge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am jealous of anyone with their own heavy bag. As a a martial artist some time on a heavy bag is is great training.

It is a proven fact that exercise benefits the brain as well as the body. Consider martial arts of some sort. Good exercise and has artistic benefits as well. You will certainly learn what the body can and con not do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sex powers up your creativity and overall well being a lot more than, i dare say "traditional" excercise. whatever you do, it will be good for your overall being. avoid being fat and lazy (meaning that you don´t do excercise), it just feels like shit.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One study in the journal Nature reports that sedentary senior citizens who took up walking for 45 minutes, three days a week, were able to significantly improve mental skills that decline with age. Meanwhile, Middlesex University researchers in London discovered that 25 minutes of aerobic exercise boosted scores on creativity tests that followed.
    CNN

Lots of reasons to take up exercise in that article. exercise also helps relieve arthritis, btw. but there is nothing like the feeling after a good run. i recommend swimming laps as an easy and (slightly) fun workout. besides, girls in bikinis, anyone?

first post?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it can help with your confidence level. I believe in order to be creative and take risks, it helps to have alot of confidence.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Members who have read this thread: 1