Blue chick (slight nudity)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Blue chick (slight nudity)

Don't really know if it's finished. So far I think I'll abandon it, but crits are still very much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

たこう is offline Psychonaut extraordinaire Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's really amazing, good work. That white light in the background really draws my attention away from the woman though... maybe you could put the silhouette of some ragged beast/man in the doorway? Or maybe have a slight glow coming from the script in the book and slightly light up her face to keep attention on her and what she's doing?

Last edited by たこう; April 7th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
    "Oh shit! That shoe is existing of glue!" -- "Wait, what? Are you alright?" --(long pause and a very deep gaze...)-- "What?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by たこう
    That's really amazing, good work. That white light in the background really draws my attention away from the woman though... maybe you could put the silhouette of some ragged beast/man in the doorway? Or maybe have a slight glow coming from the script in the book and slightly light up her face to keep attention on her and what she's doing?
    Seeing as that's the only light source, I doubt removing it would be a good idea. Putting a silhouette against the light would create a high contrast which would attract the eye more. Also, if the artist intended there to be a beast, there would be a beast. It doesn't make much sense to suggest adding random elements that have nothing to do with the storytelling aspect of the image.

An open mouth and an open mind go hand in hand. - me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked the idea. There was no fixed story anyways...

There are two light sources. One blueish from the left and the light blue from the doorway in the back. I added a bit of reflected light from the book, and a figure in the back. I don't want the figure to draw too much attention. Maybe I'll make it a very plain light source, so it doesn't draw the eye away from the chick.
    Any other crits?

Last edited by Marty666; April 7th, 2007 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an interesting composition. I like the use of blue light instead of white light. This may be because my monitor is dark, but I can't really see much reflected light defining the shadow areas of her body. Because of that, I can't tell where her shadowed shoulder is very clearly. If it's at the tilt that I think it is, then the breasts wouldn't line up straight like that. Also, because so much light is hitting the breast farthest from the light, it looks like that one is past the other one to get that much light. Because I can't see any reflected light, I can't tell how she's standing too well. (If it's there and my monitor isn't showing me, then sorry I couldn't be much more help.) A little shadow from the other breast could help. The lighting on the book also seems a bit intense and doesn't seem like it fits the angle on light on the woman.
    You have points of interest to the top of her, but once the bottom goes to dark, there's a lot of dead space. If you don't plan to put anything else, I would crop a bit so it doesn't distract. Also, to the opposite side of the light source, there's some dead space as well. The light has a lot of visual weight, so maybe putting a little background there would help. Something that lends to the storytelling.
    As for storytelling, I can't really tell why this chic is reading naked in a dark room. With that kind of light source, she's gonna need glasses soon.
    If she's a spell castor and that's her lab, maybe that space can have a shelf with reagents in jars or something. Without that aspect that gives the viewer clues to what you're thinking, the image loses it's interactive aspect and I find it boring as a viewer. I can't really speak for other viewers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't tell you had two light sources.
    Hn... well, I'm not going to tell you what the story in YOUR illustration is. The way things are though, it seems like you just wanted to do a nude, but there's no real reason for her to be nude. Maybe she's such a powerful caster that she doesn't need clothes. Maybe she's a nudist. Maybe she's a party-girl transsexual with self esteem issues that finds it necessary to show her breasts for attention at every possible opportunity. Who knows?
    Personally, I like a story to an illustration, but once again, maybe that's just me. In either case, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks really good, But has any-one noticed how long her right arm is? It's far too long.
    The other thing is that she is facing away from the light but yet there is light on her front body. I suppose there could be light infront of her but that's not obvious to me. ( I may be wrong on that one).

Other than that it's bloody good.

I'm still learning. I have a few questions. 1. How did it take you? 2. with the figure. Do you use a reference?

My personal site - AspireCreate.com
    Twitter
    Intuos 4 L

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liik: Thanks so much, great crits! It are indeed two light sources. And yes I started with some blue stuff and it became a nude. No story to start with. I'll let it evolve with the picture.

Jason: You're right. The arm is too long. It still is I'll fix that later if I can find the time and motivation. I feel like starting something new.

It took me about 10 hours now... The first post was after maybe four hours... I'm kind of quick with the start and start rendering stuff way too early. Than I start messing around and a lot of the work has been for nothing. Good practise anyways

I haven't used references for this one, therefore the proportions are that bad... Her neck was incredibly long, her head too big and her shoulder way too high compared to her breast. I fixed most of those in this update... Like you pointed out her arm is too long. That would be the next fix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jason does have a point...and i love the fished look...[the mirroed effect with the staff...nice work...better than anything i could do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice so far, but i think the woman still fights with the doorway a bit. Maybe you could add a stronger, warmer key on her somehow, maybe coming from the tip of the staff, or from the opposite end of the hallway?(off the left side of the composition) Might be easier for her to read that way too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you could do with some more detailing on the girl and her cape - right now, the details of the doorway and the silhouette is taking too much of my attention, as if it was the main focus, which I don't think you intended. Like MentalSherpa said, add some warmer colors to her, and work out her body a bit more? It has a wonderful feel to it, and I hope you don't intend to give it up yet!

Oh, and I forgot... the arm holding up the book seem to be in a slightly odd angle. I believe, when holding a book like that, for comfort you will hold your arm as close to your body as possible, or it will put unecessary strain on the muscles the longer you hold it there. Try it yourself and see!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.