EOW#50 The Architect's house goes to poll

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW#50 The Architect's house Goes to Poll

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skunk

2 2.74%
  • Masque

17 23.29%
  • Peg

1 1.37%
  • Chaosrocks

0 0%
  • Vantrum

2 2.74%
  • Bryan Young

1 1.37%
  • Beelow

4 5.48%
  • sanest

0 0%
  • Pa-Le

1 1.37%
  • Trashy

0 0%
  • Edjutante

0 0%
  • Cakeypigdog

1 1.37%
  • yAdam

12 16.44%
  • yAnimator

23 31.51%
  • Art Zealot

1 1.37%
  • Maxtormer

1 1.37%
  • Brand_X

0 0%
  • Hunger Artist

5 6.85%
  • Machu Picchu

2 2.74%

Thread: EOW#50 The Architect's house goes to poll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The architects House

The outside of the home is a two story shack sitting atop a huge curled up tree root, lopsided and shanty like, peiced together with scraps and such, but The inside of the small rundown shack is actually a huge 15 story mansion full of strange MC Esher like rooms that act as labyrinths. It is a nigthmare of a house.

The Architect was once a kind, humble man, who would put on magic shows for the children of the city, and play games with them in the labyrinths of his home, but now the children are starting to disappear and the people of the city suspect The Architect as the culprit. The Architect is currently in a deep sleep like coma induced by an exiled shade known as Xaodinat. He has been kidnapping children

I will except any medium. you can image, inside or outside views of the house. taking into consideration the character of the Architect and the Creepy surreal and mutable qualities of the house. original story concept by Paul Fassett as Part of "Adventures in Purgatory"

The winner of the EOW#49 The Waterfall City was ART ZEALOT congratulations

For this Challenge we Had 30 images started 19 going to poll. There were some incredibly promising starts that unfortunately didn't get finished. If it said WIP on it or was obviosly unfinished I din't take it to poll.. Finishem up folks!

couple notes:
    Art Zealot had two entries really ..... was confusing although both images are great
    Cakeypigdog, I almost missed your last update since it wasn't in the original thread

and Oblio
    as much as Like the image icons, I can't really rehost all the images. so we'll just have to scroll. sorry
    EOW 50

Skunk EOW#50 The Architect's house goes to poll
    ok this is finall i dident have time to try any other ideas lots of course work, please crit me

Desciption:"its finally done! admittantly its not how i planned but at least he's still alive. i followed his instructions perfictly except for the hosts, funny isn't the children that he once entertained are now giving him life, i too would have preffered to use the convicts he had suggested but i was running out of time! it had to be done!

its incredible really all his own creation it simply takes the life force from the few chosen but leaves just enough for them to sustain themselves, such a brilliant mind we were lucky it dident go to waste, all i have to do now is revive him when the cure is found... it could take years but im confident it will work.

disaster!!! a power cut caused the michien to fail breifly he's ok but we lost three of the children... im going to need more..." Xaodinat:

Masque

She opened the door that would not open for the adults, stepped inside, and almost turned and ran back to the town. The strange and chilling expanse of the room drank the light, making it hard to see much, but she sensed the insanity of the place, and sensed also the regard of some evil presence. She wanted to run away, wanted very badly to run, but for the sake of her brother and the rest of the children, she knew she would not.

Peg

Chaosrocks

Vantrum

Bryan Young

Beelow

Sanest

Pa-Le

Trashy

Edjutante

cakeypigdog

yAdam

yAnimator

Art Zealot

Maxtormer

Brand_X

Hunger_Artist

Machu PIcchu

Last edited by chaosrocks; April 7th, 2007 at 09:18 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Masque as he was the only one who attempted the interior, and pulled it off with seeming ease. Not only did he get the concept but went a step further with it, and it reads amazingly well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gave my vote to yanimator. Wonderful dreamy, ethereal quality to it. There were lots of other great entries, but that one was my favorite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, the "Ys" have it for me, a really tough choice between yAdam and yAnimator (you guys related or sumpin? twin sons of diff'rent mudders? )

but i had to give the edge to yAnimator. both pieces have just the right sense of decrepitude and are well well-rendered, but yAnimator managed to bring a sense of foreboding to a scene that for all intents and purposes is a beautifully lit pastoral forest scene. the "welcome" sign is a great touch: for some reason, i think i'd see that and be even more spooked if i came across this house in the woods.

all in all very good work by everyone, though i'm kinda surprised a few more didn't tackle the interior. gutless!

Last edited by masque; April 6th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Masque got my vote. There were many beautiful renditions of the exterior, but Masque took the hard route (hard for someone like me, anyway) and kicked ass beautifully. The rendering is pretty much perfect, and all the diagonals, spirals, and zigzags work together to create a powerful composition. A couple crits: the guy with the easel, whom I assume is the Architect, seems at first like he is on top of the tied-up kid, rather than behind him. The stairs, walkways, and windows show perhaps too much agreement in which direction is down. Overall, though, the picture is excellent, with a great sense of space and darkness. Looking at is, a can just hear all the ropes and wooden beams creaking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Masque- you got my vote! Not only were you the only one that did the inside...but you also kicked insane butt with it. Sure, you might not have spiffy colors like the other entries...but man the crazy perspective angles and striking imaginary blows everything else out of the water for me. Just touches like the cat and person coming through the doorway is awesome...and the kids are brilliant. Hell...you even included the architect sleeping away in the background. You practically covered everything in the brief. Escher would be proud.

yAdam, yAnimator- runner-ups. Nice paintings of the outside guys.

Last edited by Trashy; April 6th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great round kids! so many great entries...

chaos: the image here in the poll is not my final. my fault for multiple posts i guess but my final is in my initial post in the old thread. It is marked as my final and has an eow border. cheers!

my vote goes to yanimator: such a lovely paint!

really enjoyed this, will try again soon and hopefuly give it the time it derserves. well done everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fixed it--- because I am a nice person... please don't make extra posts with images in them..I might just get the wrong one

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yAnimator gets my vote as well. Like masque said, its a beautiful scene, but still seems very doomy. Also, pretty sure we aren't related

Great work from everyone else...especially liked masque,peg and vantrum's entries.

!!

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard to choose between Masque and Yanimator.
    Went with Masque. Most original Pic, and a great job with the interior considering the difficulty of the job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm torn between Hunger_Artist and yAnimator...

Masque, yAdam, cakeypigdog, Beelow, Pa-Le also inspire. Great round all around, solid week!

Last edited by Stephan_R; April 7th, 2007 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    voted yAnimator, I really like the atmosphere in that one. Fitted the description well.

Masque come second, but as much as I respect you doing the interior, the B&W didn't do it for me somehow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i voted maxetormer! wicked feeling in it!

good entries !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for yadam. For obvious reasons.

Vantrum was a close second, great atmosphere and the mood is spot on, I love the swampy lushness.

Chaos, my sincerest apologies for not holding up my end by actually finishing, but I have an excuse, etc. etc... I'm looking forward to the new round!... may actually finish it too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yanimator- real tight. got my vote. although the trees on the right are looking a little out of whack saturation wise. they just seem too grey to fit in with the rest of the image. it looks like this image started off grey scale and you only colored through the first three quarters of the image. otherwise very nice.

masque- very cool. nice style. kudos for tackling that interior concept.

machu picchu- i like this one a lot. its real close to being a killer image. i think it could use some more clarity in the lighting and possibly some more interesting compositional elements. also the foreground details are rushed which is hurting the image. overall this one is so close. keep at it.

good job everyone. that was a pretty intersting prompt.
    -ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Masque: for originality, creativity and being brave enough to tackle the interior and successfully pull it off! Very cool piece! Masque, it would be rather interesting if yAdam and I were somewhat distantly related haha! but as yAdam said, I don't think we are related

Maxtormer,
    I actually really like your piece. I remember you were saying u almost didn't upload it. No reason not to really. Could've potentially had my vote.. ALMOST!
    yAdam, awesome feel to it! the lighting, mysterious interior, lighting and textures all work really well. Runner up, no question!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v - yAdam

The EOW has taken a turn and that's an understatement from another angle.

Keep doing you

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks chaos, i really appreciate it. I wont do it again promise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Hunger artist.

Yadam had sinister, yanimator had beauty, Hunger Artist had both beauty/great colours and a slight sinister feel with the removed/standoff viewpoint.

To many good entries, great work everyone.

Adam.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yanimator: I love your colors and how it all looks so traditional. I love color strategy and the nice contrast you got going on with the flags. The overall composition is both tastefull and elegant. I think the best thing you got going on is capturing the beauty of the moment. Awsome job.

Hunger_Artists: I love your pic for pretty much the same reasons as the above. You have great textures going on. The swift, rough strokes point the eye to were they need to go. Great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Pa-Le's piece had alot of potential and it just needed to be a bit larger and more refined.

Yanimator has my vote for what I see as the strongest mean between conceptual ingenuity(form and content) and technical execution (colors, composition, lighting, perspective ect.).

Many pieces were either very technically well executed or creatively high-end. It seems like the challenge is to bring these two seeming opposites together

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.