EOW #51 "The Sacred Grove of the Machinae" CLOSED
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EOW #51 "The Sacred Grove of the Machinae" CLOSED

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW #51 "The Sacred Grove of the Machinae" CLOSED

EOW#51 The Sacred Grove of the Machinae
    Thanks to Slash For the topic

I will except any medium.
    Now... concept!

Due April 16

Description required.. no exceptions

Ready! Set! Go!

The winner of EOW#49 THE WATERFALL CITY IS ARTZealot! huge and magnificent turnout and I am working on updating the winners thread!
    Congratulations!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chaosrocks; April 17th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic chaos! I'm stuck already Haha!! i might not have time for it this week. but i can see some really cool concepts for this one already! should be interesting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I did a google search and it looks like Machina is something from Final Fantasy.

Can someone specify how broad this topic can be? Is any mechanical environment suitable?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the environment has to be mechanical, dragon4lunch. It just has to be a sacred grove that has something to do with machinae. For example, the sacred grove I'm thinking of is the last natural forest in a mechanized world, which the machinae visit for spiritual reasons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai, that's a really nice interpretation of this topic! maybe we could all do something along those lines

Or maybe we should have some "required elements" and see how far creativity takes us..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Machina

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, yanimator!
    Here's the first of probably many thumbs. The Machinae make a spiritual pilgrimage to the Sacred Grove, the last forest on Earth, where they hang objects and amulets of special meaning from the tree branches. The large shapes in the background are statues of some sort.

Update: Another thumb, in four colors.

Update 2: I liked the last batch of thumbs, so I'm working along those lines. Elements: rocky foreground, tall trees and foliage in background, cloaked and shadowed robot figure.

Update 3: Working a bit more on it. This might be a false start. I think I may change the direction of the light, if indeed I take this one further.

Update 6 (FINAL!!!): Here's what I'm turning in. I'm not satisfied, but what artist ever is?

Description:
    It had been three days since Nezzax had entered the Grove. Three wandering, confounding days. At first, Nezzax was taken aback by the uneven surfaces of the grove, baffled by its irregular textures and inconsistent noises, almost offended by its overt lack of order and designed ease of use. Temperature and humidity shifted constantly, requiring near constant recalibrations of inner metabolisms. What, he wondered, was so sacred about this place? It, more clearly than anything he had ever experienced, explained the necessity of The Change. How could anything have ever been accomplished in such a world as this? There were no set schedules, no regulations, no stable itineraries. It was chaos. It was a wonder that civilization had progressed to such a point to make an endeavor such as The Change possible, having to deal with such uncontrollable variables at all times. Why had the Primaries decided to keep this one last pocket of irregularity? Nezzax supposed it was kept to illustrate the necessity of the Primaries' actions, oft criticized for their extreme strictness. The Primaries were wise, for there could be no greater argument in favor of their cause than nature itself!
    At the beginning of his third day, though, Nezzax found himself inexplicably softening to this place. The structured regimens of the outside seemed farther away, and the unorganized flows of the Grove began to seem more commonplace. Nezzax suddenly had a strange, but nonetheless undeniable, thought that he was coming home for the first time.
    On his fourth day Nezzax approached the center of the Grove. Mists crawled between the sinuous trees, and mounds of rock, rounded with time, loomed from the underbrush. Nezzax knew that that as he neared the innermost parts of the grove, he approached revelation. He also, perhaps, approached his doom. For within the nucleus of the Grove dwelt the most chaotic, and most dangerous, relics of the pre-Change age. And as he neared the crest of a large boulder, he saw it. It was something so simple, yet at the same time utterly incomprehensible. It was a small pile of boulders which mimicked the shape of the huge mounds of rock on which Nezzax stood. Parts of it were colored, but not by nature. A hand put those markings on those rocks, and a mind conceived those blue shapes. Why? What was the purpose of changing the colors of those objects? Nezzax's neurons reeled with confusion more profound than any he'd yet experienced in the Grove. He'd heard of this before, yet he'd never before grasped the enormity of the concept concealed here within the Grove. Those markings were of the thing called Art.
    When Nezzax noticed the robot crania on poles on either side of the rock Art-thing, his confusion turned into another, equally powerful emotion: fear. Only half of those who ventured into the Grove returned, for the shadow-beings known as the Artists still lurked there. Yet Nezzax had to go on. He had to solve the mystery of this thing called Art, for himself and for all Machine-kind. Gripping his staff tighter, Nezzax moved deeper into the heart of the Grove.

Last edited by Moai; April 17th, 2007 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all. First EOW here. I'm pretty piss poor at environments so I thought this would be a great way to get better.

WIP: added a bit more of color...

Concept: In the distant future, when man no longer exists, his creations live on. Through periods of purging what was deemed "unnecessary information," the memories of man were forever lost. This lone robot, charting a breakage in a remote sector, finds the remains of an ancient civilization long forgotten. A strange string of code floods its memory.... (To be continued)

This will be a first for me to start from greyscale and move into color as well. If you notice anything that could be fixed, please let me know. Any tips on moving to color from greyscale would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by prepsage; April 8th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so just to help you out a little
    a few thougths

i used an unrelieble for m of the word machine on purpose. the grove could be sacred to machines, held sacred by machines, or be made of machines

the Word Machinae.
    is mean to imply something mechanical and plural.... whetther that is the grove its self or that which worships there is up to you. As is whiether humans are infolve or not, as is whether the machines are sentient , or not.

Sacred implies some level of spiritual search, again whose spirits and what they are searching . is up to you.

The last breif was so specific, it was my intention to give you somethng broader this time with more creative choices to make. Next time it'l be very specific again

looking forward to what you all come up with
    Chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prepsage, absolutely sweet sketch. I'm diggin the perspective. What's going on with the man in the bkgd? It gives it a surreal quality I like, but I'm not sure what he's doing; it looks as if he's lying down, watching something very small moving on the ground in front of him.

I've been watching the EOWs for a while now, and haven't had the time to whip out a decent one (being unpracticed at environments in general) but I'm in for this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't finish the last one on time, so I'm getting an early start on this one

WIP

done early too? madness!

Final:

Long after the people had forgotten the wonders of old world, now burned to ash, the Machinae still gathered before their idol in the sacred grove. Over the years their numbers had diminished, but their resolve remained. The men of old had become godlike before their fall, surely men could become so again.

Last edited by R13; April 17th, 2007 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bear- The man is just a collapsed statue. Hopefully with some more details of bricks and other detritus It'll be more apparent. I sorta like the idea that it seems like it's looking in the robots general direction since it fits with the story...Um.. yea...Totally did that on purpose y'know

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got around to produce something for EOW after yelling twice I was going to

The concept is that once in their lifecycle the android/robot whatevah undertakes a pelgrimage to its place of 'birth', the factory. It's a religious thing for them.

Edit: Removed the sketch.

Last edited by yoitisi; April 16th, 2007 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go go YAY!!!
    chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    invincible-Been there, banged my head against that. Maybe let us know what you're trying to do and we can help.

yoi-awesome colors. reminds me of one of the original covers for Dune.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have to withdraw from this contest as I just could not find the time to actually finish it. Sorry for the inconvenience. I guess I'll better practice some more to actually get things finished in time before I'm going to take part in a contest, again.

Last edited by jagehtso; April 16th, 2007 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, sounds like a warhammer 40k topic. That can't be bad

Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a second I thought it was the "Sacred Groove Machine" xD
    posting mine soon-ish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP

Edit: Update.

Masmo Galactic disappeared as suddenly as he had arrived, but the memory of him was forever cherished on the planet of the little tin-men. In a sacred grove the divine robot's statue was risen, echoing his words: "Hey, let's order pizza for breakfast!"

Last edited by Einen; April 14th, 2007 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no time sorry had to bin this topic ..grrr resorting myself to pencils as much as i can cos photoshop rely not my thing at the moment.

thanks sofa

Last edited by life on the sofa; April 15th, 2007 at 06:04 PM.
    lense flare this bitch

GOT BRUSHES?..share them here> >CUSTOM BRUSH THREAD!

:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is no submissions, just an old thing i did.. topic reminds me of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad it's not much of an environment Joey-b (and an old picture as well), because I think it fits the concept perfectly otherwise. It's an awfully small but nevertheless sacred grove!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Einen I like what you have, maybe darken the foreground leaves and put a couple sun beams in there to give it some added depth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Stephan_R, I'll definitely look into that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ages ago, these giant robots roamed free on our planet.
    Nobody knows why they were built, or by whom.

Light streamed down upon us from the sky.
    Big glowing eyes that were visable from between the clouds.

Sometimes at night, one would mistake the eyes for stars.
    Many sailers went off course and shipwrecked or worse.

That was all a very long time ago...
    Now with their heads just poking up from the ground, they serve as
    ceremonial burial ground for the few of us that survived.

Along several levels like an labyrinth stretching 50 floors down into the soil.
    A rythmic buzzing noise from old electronic parts and vague drips from the water running down the passways.
    The only sounds in a surreal charcoal black surrounding that's audible.

A sleeping place filled with corpses.

//edit// Thanks for the replies I repainted it, mostly because it was fun.
    //Final edit , I think I will go with this one.

Last edited by flashrabbit; April 15th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wip

The Sacred Grove of the Machinae

When the holy anaccronists took over the government the first thing the father/preacher/prophets did was destroy all the machines. These unholy abominations were strung up in trees as a tribute to the Holy Anacron. After many decades these hanging gardens of Machines became shrines and pilgrims came to worship at the martyrs feet and hear the wisdom of Oracles that still issued from these tormented electronic brains

yeah
    c

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chaosrocks; April 16th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So here's my final:

Sacred Grove of the Machinae

Once in their lifecycle, all androids and robot of any sort return to their place of 'birth', the factory. The reason why is not known, even when an android is built without a self-operating brain or self-conscious it will do this. Scientists have so far been unable to provided an answer, but it is commonly believed that it has something to do with the robots having some sort of religion. Therefore, android production plants have gotten the name 'sacred grove' after old human religious customs. This production plant, owned by the Sirius Cybernatic Corp. is even mockingly build to resemble trees.

I've spend too much time on this one for sure, and am not entirly happy with outcome/time spent on this one. I need to built in some speed to do these things...

Last edited by yoitisi; April 15th, 2007 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great Yoitisi. I like the little guy as well. Reminds me of Marvin the Paranoid Android.

Updating mine a bit, further back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From dictionary.com:

grove
    1. a small wood or forested area, usually with no undergrowth: a grove of pines.
    2. a small orchard or stand of fruit-bearing trees, esp. citrus trees: a grove of lemon trees.

R13, Yoitisi, invincible wombat, as awesome and beautiful as your entries are, they really aren't groves. Maybe Yoitisi's could be considered some sort of "metal grove," but I dunno. What's your input, Chaos? How strict is the definition of grove for this round?

Some other comments:
    Einen- Those vines are looking much better now that you changed them. The description is hilarious! The environment seems to regular, though. Maybe add some twigs, weeds, little flowers, and other little things to give some variety.
    Life on the Sofa- Two words: contrast and clarity. You need to up the contrast on many of your objects, and clean up those brushstrokes so that they have more clarity.
    Flashrabbit- Cool image and concept! My main crit is that they tree trunks are a bit too red and the grass is much too vivid of a lime green. Also, with the photoshoppy transparent brushstrokes so visible, and the way the trees sort of mysteriously blend into the ground, the image just doesn't feel finished to me.
    jagehtso- I wouldn't say that you're quite finished yet. I think you could make use of a larger value range in this piece. Everything doesn't have to be so black. Lighten up the surroundings slightly, so we can glimpse some more details. Also, avoid using pure white in a colored painting.
    chaosrocks- Looks cool so far. I don't really like that empty space on the right, but that might be due to you cropping it from a larger image.
    prepsage- I'm also unclear on whether this would be called a grove. That aside, I feel that the composition would be just a little bit better if the robot was moved slightly to the right, so it'd be more centrally in the light. The robot could also use more contrast. Nice use of perspective!

I update mine with another thumbnail. Crits and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.