Second Topic, attempting to draw Liv Tyler

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Second Topic, attempting to draw Liv Tyler

It is long ago allready I posted my first topic, and that was a topic that didn't got much attention, really. I hope this one will attract more commenters, who give critique and are also nice to me. Because I am, actually, still a beginner. However, I have done anatomy tests, face anatomy test, etc. Now I am working on a few fantasy drawings, but I wanted to show this one first, my second try to draw Liv Tyler. Well, at least it looks a little bit like her.

So, during the days, I will add more, and maybe I'll make a new one also, [third try], and see if it will work better.

Also, things I find to be changed are the pupils, the mouth-nose distance, the right eye [wich is slightly to big] and the hair.
    Cheerio!

Indeed, I'm the only member who got his avatar from google, and didn't draw it himself. Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you using a reference photo?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by novenus
    Are you using a reference photo?
    Err, yes, actually, I forgot.

Here's the photo-reference..

Indeed, I'm the only member who got his avatar from google, and didn't draw it himself. Oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus. I forgot she has a horse face (I hope I didn't offend you with that comment). I would highly suggest that you work on the spacings between eyes, nose, mouth, chin. You're off enough to make her look even odder than she already does. Draw the basic guidelines first, then compare the proportions and spacings. Then draw in the details. You should know this from anatomy class...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by novenus
    Jesus. I forgot she has a horse face (I hope I didn't offend you with that comment). I would highly suggest that you work on the spacings between eyes, nose, mouth, chin. You're off enough to make her look even odder than she already does. Draw the basic guidelines first, then compare the proportions and spacings. Then draw in the details. You should know this from anatomy class...
    Anatomy class?!.. Never had one. I'm only 14 yet, so..
    But I'll see what I can do on the comparing of proportions and spacings. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Divide up her features setting a part as your primary unit. Then compare everything else to that one part (including spacing).

(note I did not do the vertical proportions but you get the idea)

Something like this:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Even though I don't go for the 'make measurments from other parts' with the same gusto as novenus, the basic principle of relating one part to another is crucial for life/reference studies.

I just started doing that a few months ago and noticed a nice leap in my work - I start by giving an overall sense of size for the whole body, then try sketching in the largest basic shape of a person and how much space it takes up. From there, it's sketching the person in lightly, looking closely at the distance AND angle from features of the body close by.

I saw your first liz and seeing this one makes me think you've already started to do that (leagues better than the first as you already know ) It's never too early for an anatomy class, and defenitely time for more reference stuff. Nice work though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally, i'm a big fan of shading. I like to see certain features of a subject pop. Prime example would be (for the female subjects particularly) the eyes. I look at the eyes first off, and if they pop and make me pay attention, I will always forgive a few anatomical errors. My only crit would be to deepen the shading (particularly on the left eye), and ease up on the intensity of the lines on the iris. Unless you plan to deepen the whole picture with more shading. The hair is great, I love what you've done with it, but darken some spots to make the face jump out more. just maintain a sense of balance, don't let things be too stark when they shouldn't be. don't be afraid to soften things to add the extra sensuality (especially with female subjects, which I've been told, are supposed to be soft).

But, all that being said, you are doing very very well. don't let anything I say (I am a first class hack if there ever was one), piss you off in any way please. In alot of ways you are better than me. And I will admit it, hopefully to my credit.

Graywoods sketches
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85072
    Check out some tunes for inspiration (my other passion is making music)
    http://www.garageband.com/artist/MicRas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies and critics, everybody, but I will not change the face of my drawing, I will make a new one - like I did before. Let's hope it will work out good!
    And, by the way, I have no idea where I could follow an anatomy class yet. But I will see..

I think the update will be there in about two days..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your only fourteen I think your doing pretty well, the measurement thing, I'm not so sure about. It sort of goes against something I'm a big believer in and that's drawing from the right side of the brain. I think art is more about looking and seeing than measurements, ovals and cylinders. It might sound kind of funny but try flipping the thing upside down and draw one that way. It helps to turn of the part of the mind that saying this is an eye, this is a nose, this is an ear and lets you see what is actually there,... shape, light, and shadow. I hope that helps or at least makes some sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree completely. The act of drawing is a complement of both sides, not just the right. What you suggest is good as an exercise for 'working out', but is not conducive to someone who does not know how to draw. because you are measuring doesn't mean you are imprinting that you are drawing an 'eye' or a 'nose', necessarily.

The problem with many beginners is that they tend to compartmentalize parts and pay too much attention on the details of said, eye, nose, hair, without understanding the basics of proportion, shape, composition, lights and shadow.

That said, I do love Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain... I just think that it would confuse this young man even more to throw what you suggested (for now, anyway). But then again, I could be completely wrong and he could take it in like fish to water (and doesn't hurt to try).

Members who have read this thread: 2