Coloring

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Coloring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Coloring

I love drawing in pencil, and I love painting, but if I ever try to paint my pictures with my digital painting software I feel I completely lose the essence of whatever it was I was drawing. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions as to how to proceed from here, because I definitely want to color this guy.

Coloring

I am open to any criticism really, so have at it.

Last edited by Kerberos; April 2nd, 2007 at 10:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've had the same problem easing into the digital medium. try coloring on a separate layer (above the original one) & set the layer's property to multiply.
    if you do this, you won't bother the original sketch. but eventually, you'll get over the transition and maybe even start the sketch within whatever it is your using.

what are you using by the way? program that is...

& your sketch is to open to critique but it looks promising.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My tip for digital (though I'm not wuite proficient with it either) is stay loose. Start with large brushes and work your way smaller only when you need to, and make loose, almost obvious strokes at first. blending too much often makes it look kinda takcy.

As for the pic itself, it's nice, thought his right hand seems to be 'going against the grian' of the direction you created. My suggestion is try to give it the same angle as his left, or at least pointing in the same direction as the wave underneath him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to thank you guys for commenting. I am working on a final version right now and I will post it when I am done. I wanted to mention I am using Corel painter essentials 2. The oil in that program frustrates me sometimes because it doesn't work like I want it to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, well this was my first try at giving the object a little color, and I think I went overboard. I wanted an ethereal look, and it is there, but I'll let someone else comment on what needs doing. I colored him completely with the digital spray paint tool, and this is the result. I noticed I could get a few cool effects (noticeable in the mid-left of the picture) using the eraser, but I have no idea how I could use that anymore than what I have done. Comments?

Coloring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you mean by losing something. Definately do the multiply layer thing so your lines aren't lost. Also, I would consider darkening your lines so they aren't lost in the color.

Maybe you should try to draw directly into the computer for a while. When you get your flow back the same as you would with a pencil (this is provided you have a tablet) then your painting will come looser and easier. Mostly, it's just going to take some getting used to no matter what you do. I know it took me a long time to transition from pencil and paper to a tablet. Keep at it. (Your linework is awesome by the way.)

An open mouth and an open mind go hand in hand. - me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liik
    I see what you mean by losing something. Definately do the multiply layer thing so your lines aren't lost. Also, I would consider darkening your lines so they aren't lost in the color.

Maybe you should try to draw directly into the computer for a while. When you get your flow back the same as you would with a pencil (this is provided you have a tablet) then your painting will come looser and easier. Mostly, it's just going to take some getting used to no matter what you do. I know it took me a long time to transition from pencil and paper to a tablet. Keep at it. (Your linework is awesome by the way.)
    ditto,
    but remember, even if the layer property is on multiply, darker colors can still overwhelm the original sketch. also, are you doing all your coloring on one layer?
    if so, try to (at the least) keep your background on its own layer. that way you'll have more control over it and you won't have to paint around things in the foreground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will try that multiple layer technique. The reason I didn't use it earlier is because I didn't know how to set the layer's property to multiply. Thanks a lot though guys, your advice helps.

EDIT: Since the the foreground is essentially the entire layer, would you cut out the drawing in Photoshop and then transfer it onto a seperate background layer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if I'm interpreting your question right, but I think you're asking whether or not you need to separate your line drawing from the negative space surrounding it. You do not- it's all a matter of learning to use layers.

There are a lot of really great tutorials here, and on Google on painting with layers- I recommend http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46462. It's a great technique you can use to preserve the quality of your lines. : )

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.