Precollege/Summer Art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Precollege/Summer Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Precollege/Summer Art

Hey,
    I've been looking long and hard for a good place to take some good summer art courses. I've found plenty, the problem is I'm going into sophomore year and most are for Juniors and older.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can attend?

Much thanks!

EDIT: Oh and by the way I am interested in pursuing animation but would like to get a good fine arts foundation.

Last edited by manicxartist; March 29th, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. Well. Alot of programs will actually take you; some have a "16 years to 18 years old" policy, so if you are 15, you might be out of luck. Have you checked the precolleges of the aicad schools, I definitely think there are some that are accepting rising juniors? I'm doing RISD precollege this summer, and they are definitely accepting rising juniors. It's a little on the pricey side, though, and I think scholarship deadlines have passed. Have you looked at near by community colleges or art school near your home?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking at RISD, it looks nice. Next year I'm going to be sending out applications like crazy because there are so many nice summer programs I've seen. Thank you for the input, have fun at RISD!

Anyway, this is what I've found so far http://www.kcai.edu/spce/highschool/precollege/
    If anyone has any information on it let me know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe the deadline for this year was at the end of February, but I would HIGHLY recommend CSSSA. While it is mostly a California based program, they do accept around 20 students from outside of California (I am not a CA resident, but I got in this way). Ask anyone who attended their animation program and they will tell you how AMAZING it is. You have a lot of the same instructors that the kids at CalArts have... The class schedules are usually a half day of life drawing (I had never done life drawing before I went… but am in love with it now) then an hour-long animation screening after lunch and then animation class. The program also takes you on field trips for observational studies and you get to take some acting and film study classes (which is an amazing experience).
    If you are interested in fine arts too, you are permitted to attend the fine art (or dance sessions or additional life-drawing classes) lectures they have, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your class schedule.
    I could go on about CSSSA for pages… if you have any questions, feel free to post them. It was the best move I’ve ever made and the best experience that I have ever had. I am going to attend the Character Animation program at CalArts (or the Animation program at USC). I would have never known what to go for to get into a good college animation program without CSSSA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lifesillusion
    I believe the deadline for this year was at the end of February, but I would HIGHLY recommend CSSSA. While it is mostly a California based program, they do accept around 20 students from outside of California (I am not a CA resident, but I got in this way). Ask anyone who attended their animation program and they will tell you how AMAZING it is. You have a lot of the same instructors that the kids at CalArts have... The class schedules are usually a half day of life drawing (I had never done life drawing before I went… but am in love with it now) then an hour-long animation screening after lunch and then animation class. The program also takes you on field trips for observational studies and you get to take some acting and film study classes (which is an amazing experience).
    If you are interested in fine arts too, you are permitted to attend the fine art (or dance sessions or additional life-drawing classes) lectures they have, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your class schedule.
    I could go on about CSSSA for pages… if you have any questions, feel free to post them. It was the best move I’ve ever made and the best experience that I have ever had. I am going to attend the Character Animation program at CalArts (or the Animation program at USC). I would have never known what to go for to get into a good college animation program without CSSSA.
    CSSSA does look amazing and I ended up finding it a bit too late. Next year I definitely plan on applying. Thanks for sharing your experiences there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto has a "Learn to Draw" summer intensive that offers life drawing every morning, and two week of perspective and structural drawing and two weeks of principles of drawing in the afternoons. Courses are taught by top professionals. Check the website, www.maxthemutt.com. (Dorm housing including breakfast and dinner, or housing with a family are both available.)

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; May 10th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard really great things about CSSSA. I know of a friend who went there for their animation. Definetly one of the better summer programs.

I went to Ringling's precollege and my roomates sister did the precollege at RISD and loved it and said it was set up much like a college enviroment then a high school day care program --which is how I would describes Ringling's precollege program. I didn't find RSAD precollege that great. But they changed a lot of things about it in the last few years so it's less "day care-ish" from what I am told.

When I say day care-ish, when I went back in 2004, they made us go to the beach and other vaction spots and wouldn't let us stay on the campus to work in the studios. And they just kind of babied us around and told us what time we had to go bed-- if they caught us awake past 11pm, we could get 3 strikes we got kicked out of the program. -__-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a Pre-College RA for Ringling last year.

RSAD Pre-College has gone though a lot of changes since I, myself, addended in highschool. You can find out more info here: http://www.ringling.edu/PreCollege.77.0.html

It's a lot of fun and a lot of WORK. Actually... it's more work than fun. When I went we did a lot of things like water park trips, beach trips and other things Kendra was talking about in the above post. People complained about not being able to get their work done so they don't do that stuff as much anymore at PreCollege.

If you want to get into animation you should apply early as the CA workshop for Ringling PreCollege fills early. You can also take a workshop in painting or whichever finearts base foundation of your choice. You will pick two workshop classes... and then will take the foundation classes (color theory, 3d design, figure, ect) like everyone else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling's precollege program definitely sounds better than CCAD's precollege was. The CCAD program wasn't awful--I definitley learned a lot those three weeks, but that might also be due to the fact that my high school program is really weak.

At CCAD, you pick one focus (I believe the choices were animation, drawing, photography, and print-making). We had a foundation class in the morning, figure drawing a couple of times a week, and a couple of lectures throughout the week. The third week was optional and entirely portfolio prep. We picked a different focus that week (Oil painting, "Solutions for big ideas", and drawing again). It was definitley helpful, but I didn't feel like I came away with as strong a body of work that I could have by going to another program.

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; April 5th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, I'm June 26, and 2 or 3 days too late to get into these things. Can I still go if my 16th birthday is 2 or 3 days into the program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The College for Creative Studies in Detroit offers a summer program where you get to actually live on campus in the dorms for the summer and attend classes there.

http://www.ccscad.edu/friends/summer/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monsi,

Call RSAD Student Life and find out. You never know. Exceptions may be made. Are you a rising junior or senior?

Also, you stay in the dorms here for PreCollege too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got accepted to the RSAD precollege perspective for this summer. Im planning on taking the computer animation and illustration workshops. Ive heard alot of good things about it, it seems like a really solid program. Im pumped for it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To bad Shawn Barber still wasn't teaching his painting class for Ringling's Pre-College. I love that man, he was a great teacher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone know anything about Summer Studies (not pre college) at RISD? Or about SACI in Florence. I'm a senior and graduating this year and I am looking for a program that is more for older students.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend and I(both 16) will be at RISD Pre-College this summer too. I hear it's an amazing experience and I'm eager to get there. Good to see other people here going. I'm majoring in Illustration and my friend in Fashion Design. Yeah, well, hope to see some of you this summer!

New Blood. New Battles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to saic's pre college program. It was great and sealed the deal for me. I did two sessions and out of it I got 5 college credit, when I put my application in my portfolio will be automatically excepted even though it was prior, I'll be automatically up for merit scholarship consideration, and Im getting two thousand dollars a year just for going to their school and all because of their pre college. They really like students who do the program. Its a pretty good deal and if you send slides of your work in you can get a scholarship to pay for the program which is what I did and they gave me money. Good luck finding a program, I had a friend that did pratt and said it was great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're looking for a small and tight-knit community, look into the pre college at the Maine College of Art. I went a few years ago and will probably be a TA there this summer. It was probably one of the best experiences of my life and I met all of my best friends there- and pretty much made my entire college portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendraad
    To bad Shawn Barber still wasn't teaching his painting class for Ringling's Pre-College. I love that man, he was a great teacher.
    I heard from Brandes that he has talked about returning to Pre-College in the summers because he "misses teaching, but not enough to come back full time."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres one that accepts 15-18 year olds. Its at the academy of Art in San Francisco. ^_^

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.