Art: Rocketman (WIPS)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rocketman (WIPS)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rocketman (WIPS)

Here are some Work in progress shots of my latest sculpt. This sculpt is based on the character by Nicolas Klein. I suggest checking out his work, (http://www.nic-klein.com/) and all the other great artist on CA. I certainly hope i'm doing his character justice.

As always, Crits and Comments most welcome so fire away.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by EdgePang; April 25th, 2007 at 09:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally got to a point where i was satisfied with the musculature. I went ahead and started adding in some little details, as well as getting him set up with his rocketpack. I added a thumbnail sketch i did early on in the process of how i was wanting the sculpture to turn out. I have also started blocking in a rough gun, belt, rocketpack straps, and chest emblem. Hopefully i'll get more wips soon. Thanks for looking.

Go ahead rip it a new one!

Last edited by EdgePang; April 25th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant rip this apart... i love the muscles in his legs!!! i was surprised by how simple your concept sketch is. do you use it just to get the general proportions/layout?

gerat sculpt!

- I think it's official... I am the world's slowest painter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VashTheStampede-
    Thanks for the comment, glad you approve. After browsing through Nic's work, i just had to make a sculpture of this character so i quickly sketched this idea on scrap piece of paper. I knew I wanted him to be suspended from his base by the propulsion from his rocketpack. I used his various illustrations of this character for reference, as well as anatomy books. Early on in the process i made his legs to short and much of his body was way out of wack. I didn't really notice it until i started taking pictures of it. Taking these wips has really help me refine this guy. The sketch was really just a way for me to record my idea for this particular piece. There are many other artists on this site whose concept work i dig, so i just randomly make quick sketches of their characters for possible future sculpts. –

EJ

Last edited by EdgePang; March 29th, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sculpt! Can we get other angles too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow...nice one. Can you show how you did the hands?....Im in a middle of sculpting a guy holding two guns and having a hard time doing the hands bit.

After all, dog is a dog. A duck is a duck. But a cat is a person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is hot shit dude, unfortunately without some proper poking and prodding of the right people this won't get near the credit it deserves.

i was about to say from the start it was a little cartoony in proportions but then as i realized who it was it fits perfectly and is well executed... nic would be proud if he'd only get a glance.

really good job of bringing a local hero to 3d.

now all i'd like to see is some vibrant saturated turqoises and reds to knock this sucker out of the park.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like it. Very well executed.

I love the kind of old-timey, 50's futuristic super hero look. Its all about the hover packs and crap these days, its good to see the retroistic rockets come back.

Just a personal preference but, I wish you would have kept the gun simplistic and ray gun like, just as in the earlier pictures.

looking forward to seeing it complete.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't wait to get it painted so i used photoshop to add some color and background.

Last edited by EdgePang; April 25th, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like how it looks, it's great, but I agree about the gun, the rounder lazer like gun fitted the whole tone of the sculpture a lot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude!! I replied to you in my last thread, don't know if you read it.

Just wanted to say I'm honoured for you to dig my rocketman enough to model him!! Im loving it, and if you ever feel the need to give it away (wishful thinking on my part) let me know...

keep up the great work mate...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry i haven't been able to post any new pics in the last few weeks. My day job doesn't leave me much time for my hobbies. Thanks to all for viewing and keep checking in. I'll be posting some new pics next week.

epiphany-Thanks for the comment and i'll be posting some WIPS on how i sculpted the hand holding the gun.

skvv- Yeah, i wasn't sure if Nic's work got much respect in this forum so i slipped a comment on his thread to get some eyes looking. Many thanks for spreading the good word. Hopefully i won't botch up the paint job when i get to it.

dark wraith- i totally agree, the retro futuristic look is sweet, i think that's what made this character so appealing. I was bouncing back and forth on what style to make his gun and i think you're right aout the ray gun being the better choice.

monacartonuda- thanks for the comment and suggestion. I agree completely.

Nicolas- I just saw your comment on your thread and I'm really glad you approve. No worries, I was already planning on sending you a copy once its finished. If there is anything i need to change or any suggestions on the look, by all means, fire away. i'll do my best to make you proud.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.