Thread: Comic-Con Notes

jaymz Guest

Comic-Con Notes

Hey Everyone,

I just got back from the Comic con. I had a great time meeting up with artists as well as enjoying the city itself with some friends. Andrew, Les, and I hung out for a while on Friday...had some drinks and almost made it to Mexico.

I haven't been to a comic con for quite some time and I've noticed the industry has really evolved into a multimedia event. At one time, these were limited to mostly comic books and role playing games, but these days, it has a heavy toys/gaming/movie influence as well.

Star Wars had a fairly strong presence there along with Hasbro, Mattel, DC, Weta/LOTR. Notably absent was...of all companies...MARVEL comics! I think many aspiring artists were dissappointed with that one.

Amongst the conceptart crew, I also met StephenC and Stalecracker and also for the first time, I got a chance to meet Mr Jon Foster, Stephan Martiniere, and Donato Giancola. One thing to see their works on the computer, quite another to see them huge and in life. Thanks for the inspiration.

Other notables for me were:
    Travis Charest
    Mike Mignola
    Ashley wood
    Pikachu
    Stan Lee
    Sandra Hope (cutest inker ever...)
    Hans Jenssen
    Richard Chasemore

Overall, this event has been such a great experience that Jason and I are talking seriously about setting up a booth for the site at next year's con.

Please stay tuned for that.

all the best,

-Jaymz

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I missed most of those people you mentioned .. It was so huge this year I just couldn't see everything.

Thanks
    I met a few CAO guys...

John Foster
    Joshuathe james
    Mcnallyism
    Ghostofmacbeth

I met a ton of guys from another board (ahem Shaneglines.net) and they all had boothes and sketchbooks etc. I would say I met about 30 members and we all hung out at the Marriot bar and drew in everone elses sketchbooks. That was a hoot!

Mr Foster you are a genuine fella and not at all full of yourself.
    Chad Townsend
    http://www.chadtownsend.com

We now return you to Bullit already in progress...

Thanks
    [deleted]
    Last edited by I.was.ink; August 5th, 2003 at 03:01 PM.
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    I really fucking envy you.

Whataminute....Android is blonde!?!

Thanks
    I.wa.ink:
    Experiences like that are awesome.

Thanks

update with pics

Yeah they are.

Sorry guys, had to take down the pics. Andrew asked me to.

I'll update with the portrait when I receive it.
    Last edited by I.was.ink; July 23rd, 2003 at 08:05 PM.
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    oooooohhhhh!!!!! i was working like a fucking dog so i couldnt go. but my freind and concept art soulmate nate van dyke made foster draw me a little picture on the back of a business card and got me some prints, so i guess it wasnt all bad... but i'd like to go next year maybe and act like a fanboy in person, instead of drooling on my monitor and jerking fools off with kind words. by next year i'll probably have to go to keep the heavy metal groupies off my 'lil nate. sour grapes to all of you who went, and, yes, foster, i am a bastard -c36

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Crap. I lived like 26 years on an isle with only farmers and boring shit. I never even met another artist (not a cool one anyways). Going to a con like that would be so awesome. I feel like I'm really missing out. Pity me

Itchi/Sam Liu was there too?

Nice to see the pics atleast I'd probably only make a fool out of myself with my poor english anyways...
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Actually, I was ink, you should plan on going for at least 3 days. Each day usually will have many unique persons that wont be there on the other days. This year was freakin' huge... Saturday was absolutely unforgivable. That 2 mile long line is reason enough to get a pass waaaaaay ahead of time.

Thanks
    Thats awesome man! A conceptart.org booth would be sick next year!

man! I really wanted to head down there, I had to work..

Iwasink.. nice!!! you have to post that pic when you get it..

peace!
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    I gotta say, that meeting Jon Foster, Andrew Jones, and Donato Giancola in person has been one of my best experiences as an artist. To see how nice they were to IwasInk and I, was awesome, thanks a lot guys!, if you inspired me before with your work, now you'll be a greater inspiration.

....I also got to meet one of my favorite cartoonists: Mr. Bill Plymton, the coolest guy!!, plus so many more!

This being my first time at the comic-con, I never expected it to be sooooo huge, I felt like a six year old in disneyland!, and we only got halfway of the damned thing....but next year we'll definitely see everything!!!!......right IwasInk??

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.