AIP Questions

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: AIP Questions

Thanks

AIP Questions

Hi guys I'm new tothe site and had a few questions about AIP. First off I have talent but not alot of skill at drawing and i have been working on it. I decided to enter the game art and design program because i love video games and don't know what else to do with myself at this point. I was told by some students of AIP that it was a good program and that they enjoyed it. I have been accepted in all areas but the portfolio in which im awaiting a response, and want to know if it will be worth my $80k and 3 years to go with this school. Be reasonable with all putdowns and praises please

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    AIP???

American Institute of Physics?
    American Institute of Philanthropy?
    Australian Institute of Petroleum?
    Astrophysical Institute Potsdam?
    Australian Institute of Physics?

Care to elaborate? Maybe show some sketches??

Thanks
    Sorry about that. I ment the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. and my scanner has been broke for a while so until it gets fixed or I get a new one i cant upload sketches.

Thanks
    I'm iffy about AIP
    I hear it's a good school from a few people

but those few people aren't really qualified to tell me whether or not it's good
    and no one can really prove it to me either
    I haven't seen anything really impressive come out of that school.

I have a friend going there for interior design, and she's getting all C's in her foundation classes and all she does is drink and party instead of caring about her art. So, I won't even bother asking her.

Thanks
    Well After looking at what some people say about it and comments like yours i find those who really work hardliked it and those who don't hate it. theres no such thing as an easy education in my eyes and thats what everyone wants and if they don't get it they get pissed.

Thanks
    So i have a new plan... an expensive plan but a plan none the less. I'm going to go to the art institute for a year and work out the kinks in my art and if i like AIP i will stick with. If AIP blows I'll try to get into a school like Ringling for the 2008 school year. if you know of any good east coast schools please give me some info on them and i would prefer anyone with experiance from AIP or an AI school to respond.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharminBear
    So i have a new plan... an expensive plan but a plan none the less. I'm going to go to the art institute for a year and work out the kinks in my art and if i like AIP i will stick with. If AIP blows I'll try to get into a school like Ringling for the 2008 school year. if you know of any good east coast schools please give me some info on them and i would prefer anyone with experiance from AIP or an AI school to respond.
    ccad for life!
    but that was just a biased opinion. haha

Thanks
    Bump BUMP BUMP

Thanks
    Bump!

Thanks
    Hey Charmin I haven't been to AiP and I don't know anything about it, so I can't give you much feedback on this particular school. On top of having spoken with students, the only other thing I'd suggest is trying to get them to show you samples of work from the game art & design program. I looked at their website and saw a lot of stuff in their gallery, but nothing that looked like it came from the game art program. You really want to check that out, and also get some info on their career services and where their graduates are working.

I don't know if this will help you. I attended the Art Institute of Washington in Virginia, under the same chain of schools, and I can tell you about my experiences there. I was a Media Arts and Animation major. It was a lot of fun at first until I realized that I wasn't really learning anything. A couple of my instructors were really great, but I didn't see a lot of growth in myself or other students in most of my classes. It was an accelerated program that pretty much gave us an overview of various techniques and programs without spending too much time on any one. Also, the level of skill was highly varied; the majority of students had very little education in art, and so students who were more skilled didn't receive as much instruction.

The liberal arts courses were a joke. Didn't learn anything in English or Computers. And when students have to correct the professor in Geometry... well, that's just sad.

On top of that, I hated the administration. I was constantly fighting with them about my schedule and their accounting - at times it felt like I was spending more time in their offices than in the classroom.

I have friends who have completed the program... and they are not working. Not a single one is doing anything remotely related to animation. I'd heard from older students while I was there that the school doesn't do much to find you a job, which is one of the reasons I bailed. Another reason is that in my first quarter, my drawing professor told me that I didn't "belong" there and I should transfer to a four-year institution! She was very adamant about it (she even wrote my mom a letter...). The fact that one of their professors was telling me to find another school was a big clue that something was up.

Again, I can't advise you on AiP specifically, but I've heard similar things about other Ai schools, so I approach them all with caution. Don't rush into the decision. $80,000 is a lot to pay for your education, so be sure you know this is what you want to do. If chances are you're going to transfer to another school anyway, it may serve you better to just take some classes at a community college - much cheaper, and if AiP's anything like AiW, the instruction at a community college will probably be better.

Last edited by nilaffle; March 30th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Nilaffle but now I'm kinda stuck if i want my folks to put forth the 20k they promised. They don't like me going to artschool in the firstplace and refuse to let me look anywhere else saying if ones is bad they are probaly all the same.
    Fact is This is all i got left i'm not an A student when it comes to academics and i love to draw and Imagine all the stuff i could create and share with others.
    I wish they would just understand i want to work a job i love even if it pays shit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharminBear
    They don't like me going to artschool in the firstplace and refuse to let me look anywhere else saying if ones is bad they are probaly all the same.
    Well they could really say the same thing about any school. Hey if one medical school is bad, then they're probably all bad. Don't be a doctor.

All schools are different, and researching art schools should be treated like researching any other school. But I can understand your parents' concerns. Mine didn't want me going to art school either. First, you want to be sure that this is definitely what you want to do. Majors like animation and game design are pretty intense, so if you're not sure of what you want to do, I wouldn't recommend going to AIP. There are other better choices, most not too much more than what you'd be paying at AIP.

What year are you in - senior I'm assuming? It may be in your best interests to go to community college first. Take some art courses to beef up your portfolio and the basic core classes (English, math), then transfer to art school. That'll give you an idea whether you'd enjoy taking more art courses, and hey if you decide that you'd rather major in something else, you can without having wasted any time or money.

The important thing is to not rush into the decision. It's better for you to not go to school for a year and spend the time preparing for the right school, than to just jump into one because you don't think you have any other options. That's not to rule out AIP - I don't know you or what sort of considerations are going into your decision. But take your time and compare programs. If you can show your parents that you've done your homework and know what you're getting into, they'll become more receptive to the idea.

And if you're responsible with your education, neither you nor your parents will have to worry about you being paid "shit."

Last edited by nilaffle; April 2nd, 2007 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Art Institutes are notorious for being VERY poor art schools. They will not offer you a good education, and therefore, their job placement is awful. I did a weekend preview program at AIP when I was coming out of my sophomore year in high school, and the building itself turned me off. Have you actually visited? AIP is just one building, 5 stories or so in the middle of downtown Pittsburgh, with limited class room space. I've even heard rumors from friends who have connections there that a lot of kids there are only interested in sitting around and smoking pot. A friend of mine who went there LEFT because she hated it. Of course, that's not everyone, but really... the program is NOT solid. Chances are, you will not find employment after leaving their program.

If you want a good Game Art and Design school, definitely look into Ringling. They just started up the new major this year, and their Computer Animation program is reknowned. Chances are that this new major will be excellent as well. Like nilaffle said, build up your portfolio this year and try for somewhere else next year. Take lots of liberal arts classes--most of these should transfer (but, as always, check with admissions at the school).

Best of luck to you!

(And I hope I'm not offending anyone by reccommending only Ringling--I'm sure that there are plenty of other good programs out there. I'm only familiar with Ringling's, and that's why I reccommended it.)

[EDIT]--I just read through some of your posts... I think your plan of sticking with AIP for a year sounds very reasonable, but be careful where you're putting your money.

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; April 2nd, 2007 at 01:24 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.