Needs fixin' *not work safe*

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Needs fixin' *not work safe*

So many things went wrong on this picture I can’t believe I got it this far. I hate how it turned out, but since I spent probably well over 9 hours on it I figured I’d get some crits on it.

There were a few things I didn’t notice when I first started this piece, first of all there are TWO light sources which threw me through a loop because I didn’t notice it at first, I just kept thinking “man these are some weird shadows” until I realized what it was.

Then after doing all that work on the body I realized I drew the head to small, this was after I was well into the shading phase. So it looks like I just did an okay job on the body then I just threw up where the face is supposed to be. I guess I need to practice doing shaded piece of faces.

Oh one more thing I should note is that; no I didn’t just “skip” the feet, the picture ends there. Well, I guess I’d better learn something from this. I’m at a loss for what to do with this to improve it. I'd really like to make it an acceptable piece of art, but I'm gonna need some help from you guys out there.

EDIT: I've added a "not work safe" tag on it, sorry I forgot. I also took out the face because I feel I just messed it up to bad.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gunther409; March 27th, 2007 at 04:33 AM.
    I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a general rule I usually start with a full body gesture so that I can get the proportions right. Instead of starting from top to bottom or what not, working from general to specific is usually a better way to start. Also, with shadows try to see them as pieces of shadows like shapes instead of "coloring" in the whole image with a pencil. Try using charcoal instead of graphite. (I'm assuming it's graphite, sorry if I'm worng) Charcoal is much easier to shade with and quicker to use. Hope this is of some use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well its all a learning curve and none more than anatomy.

One importand thing when working with a ref is to remember that not every photo makes a good drawing. so make changes as you as an artist see fit, like the shadows and light source. Feel free to change them.
    plotting out your space is one of, if not the most important thing. so measure out your head to body ratio first as not many people can just draw out a full figure with out roughing it in first.
    I would agree with the charcole thing. have a try with chalk aswell. but dont spent 9 hours on them and imbrace the power of stick men

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, stick men.

I dunno, I guess this one just got the better of me. I think this serves as a good reminder to always rough your work out first. (which I clearly failed to do properly.)

Anatomically though what's wrong with it? I mean pretend it doesn't have a face (EDIT: She now does not have a face) for a moment and something still seems funny about it. did I not get the hip\waist ratio right? Did I elongate the mid-section? Are her arms not the right length?

You've all given helpful crits, but that is more the sort of thing I'm aiming at.

I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand is definitely too small. Your proportions arent that bad, the size of her upper arm is skinny and her breast are squared. If you are able to take a life drawing course or a life drawing session it is really helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm well as a genral rule the shoulders are about twice as wide as the head and the hips around the same as the shoulders. the elbow joint should be about 1 head lengh or at the same hight as the belly button (2 head lenghts down the body) so not having a head does kinda hinder you but as from the belly button to the groin area is 1 head lenth so you could take your ratio from there?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.