what items do you use?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: what items do you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what items do you use?

hey guys im new here. I just came from the penciljack website because im more of a conceptual artist than a comic book artist. What kind of items do you guys use when you take on a project? Do you blue line your drawings first? What shades of pencil do you use? Im sure you use bristol board but what about inks? Is there much inking in concept art or is it mostly pencils and color? I just wanna know what items to think about purchasing. I have photoshop 7

-your born wet naked and hungry then things just get worse.
    -life is like a box of chocolates... you got one cherry and 12 fricken coconuts.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont know what the more expierienced guys will tell ya, but concept art to me is anything you can get your hands on, whatever works for you. Check out some of the stuff in this forum. You'll see digital, acrylic, oils, pen and loads more. I guess different mediums start playing a part depending on where your art is gonna end up. If its gonna be printed, do it digitally etc.

Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My experience at this place is: As long as you get the results you are looking for anything goes!

:chug:

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys.. Thats what i figured.. Man i need a wacom tablet.. cant really do a decent pic using the mouse

-life is like a box of chocolates... you got one cherry and 12 fricken coconuts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fast and dry

Hello,

I use anything that is fast and that dries fast. This means that oils are out of the question for me.

I use 100gram matt A4 paper (A4 because that's the standard size for cheap scanners). The grain is smooth.

Then I use Col-erase scarlet red pencils or blue pencils for the sketching which I clean up with an F fixpencil from CaranDache (dont mind the spelling) making sure I draw the lines at various widths and such like to bring out the volume in the lines and thus the shapes.

Then I scan it, remove the sketch lines by copy and pasting the red or blue color channel into a new RGB layer (in Photoshop).

Then I clean up dust and such like in the line art, print it out on a laser or ink jet and color the print out with Tria pens, Tombow pens, Copics, soft (dry) pastels, and acyrilic pencils.
    Adding high lights and shadows lastly to bring the vital details into focus, building up max contrast where I want the eye to focus.

Finally, if I need a painted look on the piece I scan this color sketch in and use Photoshop or Painter to rework the look to a painterly style.

Good luck,
    Leopoldo

www.fabpics.com/leo

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks.. ill keep suggestions in mind.

Members who have read this thread: 1