Sketchbook: MyOrangeHat's Sketchbook~Now with more children's book illustration~ GO TO LAST PAGE - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A 10x12 layout sketch/painting for a much larger painting. Final will be 30x36.

Edit to add: YAAAY! I made it to page number two. New goal; page number three.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MyOrangeHat; February 21st, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm..make the bird lighter or the ocean darker man, other an than just work on detail man, you get there.... peace

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A self portrait that is the result of me taking out a lot of anger(I was having a REALLY bad day) on some poor innocent paint and canvas.

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; March 15th, 2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: pic was a little too big
    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some figure drawing. The first two are longer poses and the others are short poses.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My midterm WIP. The assignment was "beach." So that's pretty open ended. A happy beach scene is boring so here are people living on a beach under a bridge. Basically I decided on this because I wanted to edge the picture with the bridge support on the left like that.

Any critiques or criticism on this is greatly appreciated. It's worth half my grade!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems to be, that u r hard-working. Like your lifedrawings.
    I guess you should concentrate more on achieving the round form at your lifedrawings you see in front of you.
    Joe Kubert once wrote "think round". Imo that's an aspect missing to your drawings. Focusing on that and your lines will improve

Im sorry but Im not able to say anything usefull to the last collage-beach-bridge-piece... it is not my metier.

keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farin- Thank you. I'll definitely try to think more about round form during figure drawing. The beach piece isn't a collage however. I'm just bad at composing a drawing in my head so to lay it out I put the pieces on paper and move them around until they look right. Once they're right I'll paint them in. It's just faster than painting them in and realizing they need to be moved and then painting over and then painting the figures again.

WIP update. Getting there. I can only do so much of the bridge at a time without the risk of smearing. I need to rest at least a finger down for those straight lines.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the first draft of my final project for Visual Computing class. It's made in SketchUp. The assignment was to make something 3D using sketchup and then take screen shots of it like you're making a movie. There was supposed to be a story or concept with the images. I'm thinking of maybe presenting the story in more of a comic book format. It would require more screen shots and I'd have to build a larger environment to establish the place but I think it might be worth it. Critiques greatly apprecited. This is pretty much worth my whole grade. Thanks.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait. Reference wasn't really high quality. I used my reflection in a train window.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little faster drawing than usual.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Close up shots of the figures in my most recent painting.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow ur a fast learner! Your anatomy and poses are getting better and better. Keep it up man!

Oh and why not use Photoshop?

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeJakhalz View Post
    wow ur a fast learner! Your anatomy and poses are getting better and better. Keep it up man!
    Wow thanks! I've gotten lucky with having some really good teachers along the way. Plus conceptart is an awesome resource. And honestly from where I started I had nowhere to go but up. I'm lucky that I was soooo oblivious when I started that I didn't know how awful I was so I didn't get frustrated with being bad. I had no idea I WAS bad. lol

Oh and why not use Photoshop?
    To layout paintings? Meh. I'm weird. I need to have something in my hand to move around. I know how to use Photoshop well enough to lay out a painting in it but it just doesn't feel right to me. I need something actually in my hand, however impractical it may be.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one went a little easier than any I've done in the past. I guess that's a good sign.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice life drawings! The legs are especially well drawn and I tend to notice them before anything else.
    There's a lot of good bold strokes you uses, but you might want to try mixing in some sharper lines in there too to make it look more interesting.

keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your traditional paintings. As for your charcoal drawings you definately have the gestures and proportions down. but the one thing i can suggest is trying to take line weight into consideration. trying varying the thick and thin in your lines so they can look a more appealing. Your doing very well keep it up! =)

Just draw your ass off. Whatever you do, don't -- stop -- drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

I rarely complete a sketch. It depends on what you are focusing on. The more new ideas I try to incorporate in my studies, the slower I get. And always keep in mind speed isn't the point of a study. Just continue to analyze as you are. I can see your really paying attention to the figure as you draw. Really good as uninstructed work.

Definitely continue to draw as much as possible to refine your observation skills.
    And Loomis is the way to go! Once you absorb his basic information on human proportions you'll be running........far.

Laying down the main (gesture) line in as few strokes as possible will help you refine your coordination.

This one is nice. It shows alot more confidence in your strokes.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1205606344

Keep on practicing,

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure drawing is definitely getting easier, not sure I'm getting better but at least it's not as much of a struggle.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried a little something different with this painting. I'm not 100% happy with the face so I'm going to re-work that. I got too distracted and facinated with the feet and just kind of half assed the face because I was getting tired.

The layout and logo aren't crooked. It's the photograph.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, i like the paintings alot
    certainly ur last, its the best togheter with the beach project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow so many comments all of a sudden! Thanks guys it really means a lot and is a total motivator. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, darn finals.

enrigo- Thank you for noticing the legs. I've worked so hard on them for the past year. I was having trouble because I was drawing tree trunk legs and they made the whole figure look bad. Once I started really concentrating I was surprised how complex a leg was. I'll try to remember to add in sharper lines as well. Really I will. All the advice I get here or in the critique center is constantly floating around in my head when I draw or paint.

Maerrick- Okay I'll be more careful with line weight. I've been getting carried away with the vine charcoal and making thick lines. But it makes such pretty thick bold lines I can barely resist making them all that way.

AztcFireFlower-Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Yeah Loomis is the bomb(wow just dated myself there). I'm going to dedicate my summer off to trying to finish Loomis' figure drawing book.

Grafguy- Thank you. I've really been enjoying painting even more than drawing recently. Glad it shows.

Here's a fun retrospecitve at all the self portraits I've done. I was sorting files on my computer today and I was pretty shocked when I realized how far I'd come in two years. It's a good motivator. Makes me want to get even better!! Imagine two years from NOW if I work hard.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New painting was kinda fun. It's made to match seamlessly on top of the bridge painting. The colors don't match in the photo because of lighting but trust me they are an exact match. The paper bag is supposed to look like it's filing up the ocean in a kind of mind bending way. I realize from the angle it's not even possible, but it was just supposed to be funny. The water gave me one hell of a time. Not easy to paint.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    illustrator + free time in class + fun = One wacky badass duck-thing

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; April 28th, 2008 at 01:17 AM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    POP POP POP This stuff is SO much more time consuming that I thought before I started. Much more respect to this style than I had just a little while ago.

18 inches by 28 inches. Acrylic on canvas. The colors are better in person especially the top right and bottom left. I'm just a horrible photographer.

Oh and I was at a Creating Your Portfolio panel today at Comic Con and they mentioned that if you can "compete with the guys over at conceptart.org" then you should do pretty well getting a job. I was so giddy. That was my goal anyway. I want to be good enough to post in the Finally Finished center before I graduate, hopefully by next year. That's my goal! I'm gonna rock it...which means I should stop typing and go draw.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Photoshop project. The background landscape picture was not taken by me but I forgot where I borrowed it from so I can't give credit. The Skittles bag was taken from the Skittles site. The horse picture was taken by me.

Just for fun and to update my poor neglected sketchbook and because rainbow colored ponies are adorable. I haven't been sketching much lately, too busy painting.

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; April 28th, 2008 at 01:44 AM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since the semester is over and I"m off of school for the summer I"m going to work really hard at not being lazy. So I've decided to do at least a couple paintings a week. I figure it will help me with my life drawing and it will help me get more used to handling oils. My oil paintings tend to feel too stilted and planned for my taste. I'm hoping to fix that this summer. Maybe I'll throw in an acrylic on occasion too.

First of many. My shoe. Quick study.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just don't get any ideas about dying the horses' hair.

Excellent work. Hope finals are going/have gone well.

J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always forget to update here during the summer. Also I tend to finish things much less when I'm not in school so less to post. One of the upsides of school is that it forces me to finish things.

Anway just got back to school and did a couple of quick paintings already. My painting seems to be getting looser, well that's certainly better than stilted like it was before! I think my anatomy is getting better but I always appreciate help in that area. I want my anatomy to be perfect.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apx 2.5 hours maybe a little less

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like those anatomy sketches, keep it up, great work

don't forget about the basics, and keep rocking those studies

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.