Sketchbook: MyOrangeHat's Sketchbook~Now with more children's book illustration~ GO TO LAST PAGE
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MyOrangeHat's Sketchbook~Now with more children's book illustration~ GO TO LAST PAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MyOrangeHat's Sketchbook~Now with more children's book illustration~ GO TO LAST PAGE

Do your eyes a favor, GO TO THE LAST PAGE. Or at the very least page six.

The beginning pages are positively embarrassing. Though this first post's images are amusingly bad. So after you're done laughing at these first two attempts at the figure just go to the last page. It'll save you a lot of time.

---------------
    After quitting a soul killing cubicle job last spring I took up drawing again. Amazing how inspriation comes back when you're no longer miserable at work. The first art class I'd had in at least 10 years was a figure drawing class in June 2006. To give you a reference point of where I've improved from I'll start this sketchbook with a couple figure drawings from that June class. Because as bad as my figure drawings are now belive it or not they're better than where I started last year.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by MyOrangeHat; July 3rd, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now some stuff from the last couple of weeks. I go to an open figure drawing class,which all of these newer drawings are from, for a few hours every Sunday night after work. So I'll update my sketchbook at LEAST once a week because I've always got a handful of new drawings from that class. All these drawings are in chronological order not that it matters that much since they only span about three or four weeks.

I am very very slow when I draw and most of these poses are 20min or less so I never have a chance to finish like I'd like to do. I also have trouble with drawing a slouching sitting position.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progression ...i suggest you keep going to those classes......and if you can't draw the hole body it's good sometimes to work on some parts only like focus on one single area and try to understand what's going on. Also...i suggest that you work on the feeling more than just nailing down a nice drawing . Those classes are made for you to understand how the human body is moving...flowing sketches......Peace....Keep Drawing

Love all, Trust few, Do wrong to none ! William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deltron05- Thanks. Yup I love the figure drawing classes on Sundays and I'm definitely going to keep going. If I could find one for another night of the week too I'd go but there's nothing close that I've found. I'll try drawing a smaller more manageable portion of the body this Sunday when I go. That's a good idea. We do really short ones 1 min or so for flow and movement. Much looser sketches there.

Just got inspired to doodle a bit. My bro was sitting at him comp playing so I skribbled him a bit. Hands aren't that great and I was in woeful need of a ruler but I still kinda like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh poor sketchbook, how I've neglected thee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to try to get better at updating this thing. So here goes. Updates two days in a row. Yay me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sunday night figure drawing update. I'm always happy to get a critique so rip 'em to shreds if you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to sketchy for me

NOBODY DIES A VIRGIN...LIFE FUCKS US ALL..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great that you theese human studies! its the key for all drawing.
    Try to reduce the amount of strokes. if you dont nail it the first time just ignore it and continue on another part. Dont worry if it looks wrong, it takes time to learn to see. Just keep it up and draw all the time. there is no shortcuts

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good that ye going to life drawing classes, they really help. You should take a sketchbook with ye whenever ye go out and draw people around ye on the train/bus-stop/bus/school whatever, y'know? Keep them coming.

Coo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support, guy. I was so scarce around here for awhile that I missed those last couple comments when they were new!

My weekly figure drawing class stopped meeting the first week of May. It should start meeting again in the next few weeks though! We use a room in a local college and it wasn't available to us during the summer semesters.

I started working on a self portrait but I got a comment that it looked like I hadn't ever really studied the head so I'm putting the portrait on hold and really going over the head section of my anatomy book.

Oh and I threw in an arm study for good measure. I've gotta get my butt in gear and do more of these. My first semester of art school starts in a short 4 months! EEeeep!

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; August 28th, 2007 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just started my first semester of art school. It's only been a week and I've already learned SO much! This is so exciting!

Name:  WednesdayFig.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  5portrait.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  145.3 KB

Name:  FirstClass.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  291.1 KB

Name:  PrisPortrait.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  341.0 KB

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; January 22nd, 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work! You're in art school, so I don't know if I can give you anything that they won't at this point. Maybe check out the Loomis books to supplement. Keep it up, I'll check back.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

14. The Following User Says Thank You to funfetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FunFetus- Thanks for the link! That's a really awesome resource. I'm gonna dig right in. I've been really enjoying looking through your sketchbook. You do great stuff.

I've got a few updates from my computer class. I've never used illustrator before this so these are really simple. I'm just learning the tools. And the wings seem to have cropped themselves when I opened them in Photoshop. In Illustrator when I saved it they weren't cut off like that. I'm going to have to figure out why that happened.

Name:  Fishie.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  TwoWing.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  102.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  PrissFinal.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  53.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff. Mostly figure drawings of rather short poses. And one painting...which I don't particulairly like. I'm re-doing it now so any critiques on this, the version that bombed, would be helpful as I paint the new one.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And my personal logo/signature as created for computer class. The letters are my initials. I'm thinking of drawing a fishbowl around him when I go to the computer lab today. Somehow the idea of fishing in a fishbowl amuses me.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been too long since I've last updated. It's not that i haven't been drawing it's just that I haven't been updating. I'll try to get some of the stuff I've done over the past week up.

This is a small (3x5 in maybe) postcard painting. I'm painting it to mail to my granny since she's not feeling well. It's not done yet. I need to add the crowd walking down the sidewalk and then sharpen up and detail the foreground a lot(street light, and closest cars). Critiques really appreciate on this one. I did it REALLY fast and I never work fast. Plus I want it to be nice for my grandma.

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; February 6th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Illustrator stuff. Still learning the tools. The self portrait started out as an assignment to learn how to trace using the pen. So the guts of this one ARE traced. It was an in-class assignment and we were allowed to mess around with it and stylize if we got bored. I just messed around and ended up with this.
    Oh and in my defense the picture I traced was from Halloween.

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; February 6th, 2008 at 04:14 AM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hehe funny old doodles

I was just procrastinating on finishing my homework and I found some doodles I made about a year ago to make some friends of mine laugh. They made me giggle when I ran across them on my computer again. The were drawn with a mouse using my left hand. The last one was a joke on the fact that I looked back at these and realized they all had mitten hands.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take two on the beach still life. Done on a completely different canvas. I started over totally. I think it turned out a tad better but I'm still not pleased with it. I'll probably at least rework the umbrella at the top before I declare it done.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acrylic 12x10 took about 12 hours

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update you're having, I like the paintings,
    keep the lines in you figure's clean I did that to till recently.
    If you're drawing clean lines you will learn faster because you remember it better.
    And the airbag thing is Hilarius!

Greets,Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment, Flutic. I've been told before by teachers that my figures are too scratchy and I should watch my line. Thanks for the reminder. It really is something I need to watch.

Been working from Loomis a bit. This drawing took me a practical eternity because I really wanted to get the proportion right so I could learn from it. I'm gonna keep going with Loomis. He's a good writer too! I found myself really engrossed in what he wrote.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, figure drawing like crazy in here. Do some more anatomy studies. You are lookin good. Cool still life paintings. I love that little cartoony fish. Keep it up!

I'm only 15 and would like some comments/critiques/tips so CHECK OUT MY SKETCHBOOK! Please =] http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117399

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start with the human anatomy, keep working on the shading, and work on doing light contour lines first that way its easier to find the good cut out for your shading. keep posting up your art and ill keep checking in to see how your progressing.

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ItalianHorsey- Thanks. I've got a soft spot for the little fishie myself. He's one of my favorite little doodles currently. I'm having lots of fun with my still life paintings. I had never worked with acrylic before and it was very frustrating at first but now I'm really loving it. I'll get at it and do some more figure studies today. I'll jump into Loomis again.

l0stinth0ughts- Okay light contour. I'll work on it. Thank you!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man i just notice you had some acrylic paintings up. very good job. i myself am experimenting with acrylics also so if you have any tips or need any help drop me a line. oh btw nice sketches. some of the anatomy is off but your improving, best of luck.

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work from Loomis also, he rocks. He breaks everything down nicely for beginners. Really cool paintings, keep at them.

Your figure drawings are getting better. Was the last few from life? The first one though looks a bit slanted, like she's going to fall over or maybe it's supose to be like that because the table or thing she's on is so wonky. With line, just take your time with it and go light, then go over it more confidently with a harder stroke. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops looks like a double post snuck in here somehow. My bad.

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; March 16th, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

My Sketchbook

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.