character model sheets (not traditional model sheets)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi all
    some of you have probably seen an incomplete version of these characters on works in progress thread. i finally turned those in for my school project, and before i find out my grade, i thought it'd be nice to hear some critiques from you guys. i don't dare to post it on "It's finally finished" thread cuz i'm not worthy ) .... yet
    so here's for your viewing pleasure (or not) :

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kenju; March 24th, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The probelm with all of these as character designs or model sheets is that we can't see some very important features.
    #1: What does his/her face look like (and the mere fact that it's not 100% clear whether it's male or female is a big problem)? Does he/she have arms or just the wings?
    #2: How exactly does the torso connect with the legs? Your anatomy on all of them, but especially this one, is very rubbery.
    #3: Again, why the back view?
    #4: What kind of arms does this character have? It's perfectly possible to show an arm as well as the shield and weapon, this way it looks like you're avoiding them.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm curious what these are for exactly (outside of a school project, anyway). To elaborate on what Elwell said... a model sheet is supposed to be an overview of a character that spells out to somebody else exactly what that character looks like. Usually for modelling or hand-drawn animation.

The ideal is to have such a clear picture of that character communicated in the artwork that anybody looking at it and trying to reproduce it will be 100% sure of what that character looks like from every important angle. This will usually involve more than one drawing (what are called orthos or turnarounds). Unfortunately, I really don't think yours fall under that category. If a 3D modeller were to try to model any of your characters, they would have to fill in a lot of blanks themselves, which isn't ideal. I dunno if this helps you much for your project (depends on how much time you have left, I guess), but it would probably be good to keep in mind for next time.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i remember hesitating calling it a model sheet. i suppose i should've told you that the project was concentrating on digital coloring and inking (as it says on the bottom of the image). therefore hear some critiques on that aspect, and the characters themselves. my bad, but thanks for clearfying what a model sheet is, elwell and tully!
    now, concerning my unrecognizable-gender-character ... is it really that unrecognizable? i mean, you can see the boobies, right?

thanks again, mates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could tell the first one was a female, didn't see any boobies. The hips are definitely feminine though.

Kozis Rocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I didnt really notice the breasts on Cleave until you pointed them out. Because you have her arms hidden behind her body and the shield its hard to tell what gender shes supposed to be. Also the shield is covering up that very distinctive feminine hip curve that would have told me it was a woman even when the breasts didnt. Plus as a general rule women have a smaller muscle structure in their arms so if I could see some of her arms that might have tipped me off. Also, Thermo has some impossible arm anatomy going on. Your arm cant bend like that if youre hunkered down that far. Might want to rework that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.