Oh wonderful CA!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oh wonderful CA!

I still remember the first time I was here and got my ass handed to me by the hundreds of critiques. And yet I still haven't learned my lesson since my art still sucks, but after reading about CA on http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com...php/Conceptart this evening, I had to laugh my ass of on how much it related to me and come back here again. Well I got a wacom and I'm going to try, on my free time and privately, to work on more realistic works (but God damn it's freaking hard! Especially knowing your brushes and settings) that CA finds 'suitable' and not craptastic. I'm also going to try to work more on traditional and lighting source, plus anatomy. That's my strategy statement.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lollerskates. That ED entry's great. So glad I ditched that attitude before I first came here, heh heh heh.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like this guy even now. My art will never be good enough for CA~

I remember my last two attempts at posting something in the finished section. It took less than twenty-four hours to get my ass raped and stoned to near death before being tarred and feathered and finally getting shit kicked by Ilaekae. You guys have no fukin life. And ffs, think of something more original to say other than "work on anatomy," ANATOMY ISN'T EVERYTHING!!!1..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just read through Krystalwolvelt and Snapesnogger's posts (linked at ED). I feel so much better about myself now, also really glad I never got into the "This is my style how dare you give me constructive criticism" attitude... I could have wound up like them .... I mean my art still sucks but at least it's not going down that road.

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    I feel like this guy even now. My art will never be good enough for CA~

I remember my last two attempts at posting something in the finished section. It took less than twenty-four hours to get my ass raped and stoned to near death before being tarred and feathered and finally getting shit kicked by Ilaekae. You guys have no fukin life. And ffs, think of something more original to say other than "work on anatomy," ANATOMY ISN'T EVERYTHING!!!1..
    Hehehehe.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's odd how people think we act the way we do because of their skill, it all boils down to the attitude and determination in the end...well, sometimes it has pretty funny results so i'm not gonna complain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This for me is why CA.org is soo imporant. It doesnt teach just art skills, but also the ATTITUDE to become successful which in my view is equally as important. It really is a discipline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But damn those disciplines are really harsh. Sure people don't want to hear/read what they don't want to, but a little sensitivity here and there would be nice.lol But yea, I'm more motivated than ever to work harder!! My dreams is to be a professional artist, and that type of artwork is displayed here more than DA, though it's going to be awhile for me until I can transfer from anime to realism.

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if you ask me,you don't have to completely transfer from anime to realism (the popular mention always being gezstar). learn how to incorporate enough realism into your manga drawings to make em look more believable and good.
    edit: and great link there.
    edit 2: gotta agree with brendan,i feel damn better about myself now that i've read those moron answers. (sorry)

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you.. after a wonderful party this is sending me to sleep with a big fat grin on my face... that guy even mentioned the manky83 incident,heheheheh.

god, i love this place!

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back dimez, hope to crit you again my friend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha this link is awesome.
    And i learned this term...Wapanese

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    major flamage in those threads. haha. I'm glad I came to CA humble. CA is like a gift, if you embrace what it has to offer, you'll progress very quickly. If you don't, you're just missing out on a great opportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha. This is great. I always wondered where the wasp and scorpion came from. I'm soooooo glad I found CA so I wouldn't be stuck in the unprogressive limbo of deviantART for all of eternity.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aah...I'm quoted in one of the incidents. Lovely.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! "...and finally getting shit kicked by Ilaekae."

Musta been bad. I don't even remember that one.

You weren't the guy who painted in blood, were you?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dimezanime88
    But damn those disciplines are really harsh. Sure people don't want to hear/read what they don't want to, but a little sensitivity here and there would be nice.lol But yea, I'm more motivated than ever to work harder!! My dreams is to be a professional artist, and that type of artwork is displayed here more than DA, though it's going to be awhile for me until I can transfer from anime to realism.

You have no idea how glad I am now that you've switched around like this all of a sudden, so it was worth it to try and help you with your previous works, you can progress and do so much better now rather than limiting yourself to just anime . As you're already aware, its hard and there will be all sorts of challenges that will test you, but dont worry, the challenges are the fun parts because you always learn something out of them.

Be sure to start a sketchbook too, and welcome back .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had no idea CA was a guiding light out of the dark world of crappy art.. oh wait yeah i did, and not a moment too soon - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not the guy who painted in blood~

I honestly don't remember how I incurred your wrath, just that it left me scarred for life... and maybe a little more grown up- but that doesn't mean I'm mature enough to respect you more ya old fart!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bite me...

...meant in a most loving and mentoring way...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So can anyone set me on the right path by giving me a task to do? Something that shows I'm serious but easy for my level?

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So can anyone set me on the right path by giving me a task to do? Something that shows I'm serious but easy for my level?

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir

Be sure to start a sketchbook too, and welcome back .
    Best place to start IMO.

But recently I've been going over these NOTES from one of the CA / Massive Black workshops. Fantastic study material, really.

Alot of people (namely Panda) took alot of time and care into taking these notes and typing them out. This is some truly valuable info here.

-Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get out in the field. Life drawing in the park, subway, coffeshop,...

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ahahaha! I've never seen the CA.org entry in Wikipedia. EDIT: Oh wait, it's not Wikipedia. -.-'
    ROFL! Cookie for whoever made the entry.

Ah! The Insect Battle! I still remember it. Hahaha.

Last edited by HunterKiller_; March 27th, 2007 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't do things that are easy for your level, you won't learn. As Interceptor said, start a sketchbook and update as often (and as substantially) as possible.

Next you'll probably want to start doing studies. Master studies is a great way to learn many things, so perhaps go track down Rebecca Kimmel's master study workshops, either here or on cgtalk.com. I'll see if I can find you a link or something. You'll also perhaps want to take part in Idiot Apathy's Peer Project.

If you don't have any anatomy books then do get some fast - Bridgman, Loomis and Hogarth are highly recommended, but are by no means the only ones out there. If that isn't possible, then at least check out mentler's sketchbook or KChen's work on this site.

When you feel like you want to apply what you've learn, check out the Weekly Challenges section - the COWs and CHOWs especially. And have fun.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the weekly challenges are a great place to get experience.. and to learn from others.

try doing weekly subjects for yourself. say "this week im gonna draw hands only, at least 5 a day all week long. next week i'll draw heads only" etc.. you dont have to stick to body parts, you can draw whatever you like.. but its best to try to organize what it is you're drawing, then maybe start putting them together.. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me this is alot to take in as how I'm asking for what exactly/specifically to start out with first, instead I'm getting different responses. I went and bought new mechanical pencils, and what I need is for somebody to give me an order on what to draw. Leaving me to pick would lead to disaster. Besides studying, although not professionally, I remember some of the basics I have learned through art classes as I've been growing up in. Like for the sketchbook section, what kind of image should I start with?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why don't you join some of the weekly activitys?
    like 3CH or CHOW

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LMFAO...after reading that manky thread...I had to wipe tears...

But on a more serious note; CA.org is a great place for beginners (like myself) to come and learn from professionals in the fields that we admire most: concept art, game development, commercials, advertising, architecture, fine art, etc. There are a lot of asses on here that are pompous at times, but you gotta sift through all that stuff and regard the people like sve, jake, dile who give 54 pages of crits on a piece and those who take time out to help you evolve as an artist.

Long live CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..Like for the sketchbook section, what kind of image should I start with?..
    well, personally i like the sketchbooks that show progression. post your worst and gradually the ones you feel are better. and then keep on posting your latest works so we can all see how you have improved as yuor skill grows.

and it doesnt hurt to go back and try things again. say you drew something a while back and it totally sucks, well now that you're better.. try drawing it again with your new skills and compare. - JAG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.