Art: Reflective light confusion
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Reflective light confusion

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reflective light confusion

Hi all CA,
    I don't know if there has been a thread about reflective light but lately I have been struggling with this light effect. In case, I am not using the right term, with reflective light I mean the light that is reflected from other objects into the primary one, and is usually seen on the shadow area of the primary object.

It might be a silly question, but I still don't quite get it. Does the amount depend on the material surface? On the strength of the source light?

Any insight, explanation or comment is very welcome, and sorry if it sounds as a silly question

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The intensity of reflected light depends on the strength of the light source, the texture and color of the object, the texture and color of the surroundings, and the angle of the viewer.
    However, the most important thing a beginner needs to know about reflected light is that they should stay away from it except when it is absolutely necessary. One of the most common problems people have is overdoing the reflected lights, which leads to flat and/or plastic looking forms. We tend to "over-see" reflected lights because of their contrast with the shadow, and to mistake differences in hue and intensity for differences in value.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The above is very true. Beginners always put in reflective light that is too bright. If you really look at it, it is very close in value to the shadow around. In colour, you can get them even better because you can forsake the slight value change, and just use a colour change instead (which is how they usually actually are, except in certain circumstances)

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for the prompt response.

Elwell Thanks so much for the insight and explanation. That really clears a lot of doubts I have it, especially by mentioning the common error of beginners about it.

k4pka Thanks man. I know what you mean when the reflected light is from a color object. It is a very interesting tip.

Well, I guess I look at it more carefully during my drawings to understand it better. If someone knows of a good exercise, let me know.

Thanks again.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also agree that it is tempting for the beginner to make the reflected light on forms a bit exaggerated.

Imagine a value scale ranging from 1-9. 1-6 being your lights (inlcuding halftones) and 7-9 being your darks. Because the range in your darks is only 1/3 of the whole scale your variations in value should be proportionately that much more subtle in effect. In color this should also apply to variations of chroma as well. Back to value, your lightest light in your darks will never be lighter than your darkest-dark in your lights. If you start violating this you will flatten the form.

Also mind the anatomy of a shadow. Think of a spot lit cylinder. The shadow is darker at it's transition to light, then lightens as it's center floods with reflected light. It then darkens again as it turns away from the eye.

Hope this helps.

-Jeremy Deck

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14264...-h/14264-h.htm
    The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Practice & Science Of Drawing, by Harold Speed.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20165...-h/20165-h.htm
    Theory and Practice of Perspective, by G.A.Storey

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.