Page 43 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    COOL~~~ 真有自己的风格。keep up man!
    中华人民共和国万岁!

my Sketchbook!!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to J.roxanne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 468 Posts
    J.roxanne - Xie Xie! I'll keep going.

Maybe this one fleshes the form out a little better? I'm realizing that the first one is pretty flat. Dammit, I keep doing that. I'll try some experimenting today to see if I can bump these things up. How embarrassing. :shakeshead:

DEMON GIRL (verdant variation) • Photoshop

Thanks
    gaaaahh that skinnnnn!
    those shiny fleshy bits!
    materials are amazingly well rendered as usual.
    The form issue is there but its not so explicit (the rare times i paint i have the same difficulties i think)
    probably the front lighting you chose that doesn't help defining the form,but i really have no idea.
    The enviroment looks cool, you should do more of them!
    Always great to see ya updating frequently!

ciao!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man, awesome work on that Demon lady, great textures on the skin, and the form on the teeth is retarded great, almost looks as if they were rendered in 3d then tossed in! Looks like something that would live in the old lake near me.

I just got photoshop set up on my computer yesterday, I'll be coming through here even more often now to try and pick more things up from you.

Thanks for the constant updates, can't wait for more!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, I don't know what to say.

You have such a wide range of work here and yet looking at each of your pieces consistently evokes in me a weird combination of both intense fascination and thoughts of "wow, that's just creepy as hell". I've seen a lot of great character and creatures on this site that have been designed to look sinister or evil, but nothing that works so well on an psychological level as yours.

I'm loving those airbrushed acrylics on the previous page, such a beautifully subtle technique and yet something so simple as the unnaturally wide spacing of the eyes makes me feel uneasy. I think I could stare at them forever if I wasn't too scared.

Great stuff mate, consider me subscribed!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow great stuff, are there any galleries in the Rochester area that are showing any of your paintings? I wouldn't mind checking them out sometime.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DeathByChris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thx, guys! I'll comment back next post. Up too late right now. Here's some more messin... is in-progress, as i have other stuff, including glints, on the way.

Thanks
    Loving this sketchbook dude,

Really good works, Im really liking your drawing style somr of your sketches have a really nivce quality about them.

q: What sort of board do you use for your acrylic paintings?

Thanks
    TheGnoll - Thank you, sir! Yeah, I guess it's not as pronounced as in other pics of mine, but it's still an issue that dogs me. I will try to remain alert as I further explore rendering approaches. It's still unclear to me how it is that I can begin a pic with (relatively) very clear form, but then become so blinded by other minutiae that I am simply unaware of the fact that large important things are getting fudged out of existence. I guess it comes down to where my attention and interest really lay. Thank you for liking my shiny fleshy bits! Thank you also for liking the enviro dabbling -- I hope to do more soon, as I was sortuv encouraged by that experimenting... Cheers, buddy!

AustenFM - Thanks for liking the DEMON GIRL! Do you prefer one version over the other? I sorta like 'em both equally, actually. I probably should've included the first version in that posting, since it maybe is getting lost at the bottom of the last page. Glad you like my skin texture and the teefs! I had some anxiety about the toothal area early on (it was pretty boring at first), but then I thought to double-up like a shark and am very happy w/ how they ended up. Maybe I'll go on a tooth rendering binge... hmm... I really don't take proper advantage of all that's possible with Photoshop... my techniques are generally technically simplistic and often my procedure is irrationally convoluted... but I'll be happy to explain any aspects of things I've done if you ask me about 'em in a PM, for whatever that's worth.

Jaro - Thank you so much! It's so interesting to me that you regard so much of my work as giving you sinister or evil impressions... I feel like very little of what I do is creepy, but rather I tend to view my subjects with compassion, or I see them in a similar way that one sees an animal on a nature show. I mean, it's all pretty subjective. That you like my work and find something different and psychologically compelling in it is delightful to me, as I am always striving for sincerity in my creations but am aware of a certain... mmm... a certain static quality. I think I may soon be indulging an aesthetic-delight of far more blatantly-fearsome beasties, and hopefully they won't lose the singular power that you sense in my previous works.

DeathByChris - Thanks! Hmm... I don't have any shows going on in Rochester right now, but I am probably gonna set up another one at BUGJAR before too long. If I do, you'll get ample glimpses here on this thread.

Kambei Shimada - Thanx! My acrylic painting has been on a few different surfaces. A lot of it has been on black foam core board, but that's easily dented and people always need to be reassured about its long-term viability (which really is excellent, per the kind folks in the Strathmore R&D lab)... So, now I tend to work on canvasboard, clayboard, plywood, and paper. I'm still experimenting with materials and have not at all settled, but I'm leaning toward the clayboard, as it has weight (which clients like) it's sturdy, it doesn't warp, and it takes a real handsome gloss coating -- be it a clean smooth acrylic lacquer spray, or a sloppy gloopy acrylic medium -- which goes a looong way in deepening the darks and popping the colours.

Right on. Thanks guys!

So, here's an much further fleshed out version of my DEAD BUG pic. Dunno if I'll do anything more to it or not. I noticed some structural inconsistencies that I tried to fix, and I obviously tossed in further highlighting and even a simple enviro (pats self on back), which went a tremendous distance to ... i dunno... to making it look good. I think.

"DEAD BUG" • Photoshop

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William b. Hand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your work makes me want to pick up the airbrush again. Thanks for sharing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodneydollah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey man!
    that looks really great!
    only thing that looks a little weird to me are his antennae and his lower, longer pair of legs which seem to behave weirdly in perspective, but its nothing that can't be corrected by a little trasform tool once you get a clean view of this piece.
    The rest of my thoughts are just random ramblings:
    it really looks to me as something dead-underwater- for some reason, so maybe it would look even better if you integrated some "prawn-y" design bits in the head (cause it would be a little bit less complex, or have a more recognizable look) and tail (you could give it the awesome textures, design and "rhythm" the prawn tail has, all curling up in rigor mortis)
    -nuff ramblings.
    Can't wait to see the next creature man!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rodneydollah - Thank you! I hope you are able to have some fun, if you pick it up again! I love that stupid thing.

TheGnoll - Thanks! Yeah, I wrestled about with the antennae, and I guess it didn't quite work out. Now that you mention the lower legs, I can actually see what you mean. I'm not sure how transform could be used to correct either of these, though. Explain this, please? Hrm... I'll have to look at some prawn refs to see what you mean, but I doubt I'll wanna do any more on this one. Dunno, though. I think once I look at some reference (and I have a folder full of prawn-like creatures that I really haven't looked at, but always am meaning to) that I'll want to do entirely new pics, instead. Which might be just fine, really.

Welp, as those who notice things might have noticed by now, I seem to be in one of my crazed Photoshopping manias. When I should've been going to bed, I instead decided to do a "quick" mess-about focusing on describing form with shapes. Well, this might not look like much, but I ended up spending a few hours with it and am learning myself some interesting painting points. Bizarrely, I find that I am suddenly learning things that I should've been learning back in my high school days, but that my brain was just unready to cognate. Anyhow, this is just early exploration, it's not meant to be a finished piece or anything... just study... but it seemed worth tacking on here. No refs.

Thanks
    I continued playing around with that, and pulled an impromptu all-nighter. I know her proportions and such are all screwy, but I'm really getting more comfortable with this approach and the possibilities are rapidly suggesting themselves to my brain. Of course, anytime you begin to understand a new way of doing something, that allows you to create in ways that were previously hidden to you. But, it also makes you not want to go to bed, so... gotta watch that. Thanks for lookin.

Thanks
    Some more toying about with fixed-size opacity-shifting brushes, blur tooling, and this basic painting approach. I don't really know what I'm doing yet, I'm so early in the process and it'll be hard to keep track of everything for some while, but I'm getting glimpses of where this is leading, and I'm pretty jazzed. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by William b. Hand; February 9th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    ...a little WIP.

I almost never have beings interacting with each other, and it's time to change that. Maybe it'll lead to the artist interacting with other beings more, who knows.

Page 43 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast