Page 34 of 90 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 84 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Whoa...wicked update. The image couldn't be more clear. I would think it was a a photo. Btw, I've just voted and you're up to 4.49, so we just need one more sensible person to come along...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to courtyard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love the rendering on that electron microscope image! It looks really authentic.
    --
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.
    -Mary Hollinshead

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cacodaemonia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ooooh look at those gross thingies wow (sores and muscles)

and the dog reminds me of the guys at work that flirt with me

William your WIP's in 482 and the Sith are very very dull looking

how the hell do you pump that much action into that much blah? your finished stuff is so vibrant.

I don't get it. But I want to see them because it gives me a sense of your working style. I have always admired your work.

hmm well...that "Doll" is pretty damned sweet a concept

Pseudo Human is my favorite!!!
    ---- - —
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 468 Posts
    Fellah. - Wow, thanks man. Great timing -- Much appreciated.

yoitisi - Thank you! I agree -- it can be pretty tricky. The main thing about the SEM look has to do with the peculiarly uniform side-lighting and lack of specular highlights. In a nitty gritty way, I actually made some errors in this one... Maybe those'll get ironed out if I actually finish it in the way I plan to. Thank you for your kind, encouraging words, as I was experiencing frowns. Will keep posting!

TheGnoll - Thanks! I'm really happy I could breathe some life back into that pic, and it's heartening to hear that I am not alone about this one! Yah, all this experimenting... Dude, you kinda nailed it when you spoke of epiphanies. I dunno where the hell it's coming from, or what got it going, but some switch has been flipped. Here's some more experimentation, below, actually...

Carnifex - Oh no's -- I didn't make it over to your sb today. Bah, will do, though. I flipped through a few pages and need more time than I have atm. That MICROBOT won't harm your intestines, silly! ...But, you should probably keep it away from your eyes and sinuses.

courtyard - Thank you! Good, good... I think I'm helping to restore all the bad focus karma I've built up of years of fuzzy hazy behaviour. Thnx for the vote, too -- I'm just being a big baby.

Cacodaemonia - Gracias! My pride about that one grows greater, still!

Naomi Ningishzidda - Thanks for liking my gross things (Insert joke here)! Hmm... My little figure sketches in post 482 were really just quick(ish) little studies, and not meant to go any further. I know they're not especially great looking, but they're just experiments about certain things. As far as Sith goes -- well, I did 2 sith, so I dunno which you're referring to. Maybe both? Again, though, those were both genuine experimentation, and really not my "process". I'm in one of those "consciously incompetent" stages with regards to drawing figures, so I suspect that the work I do in these pics will pay real dividends only after I've internalized all the shit I'm trying to learn. I'm glad you like PSEUDO HUMAN! Cheers!

Okay, so here's what I did tonight. I began with an odd little sketch that I used a custom brush for. That brush was made by sampling the bony mouth of PSEUDO HUMAN, of all things. It didn't work in the way I'd maybe hoped for, but it does make for a nice little smudgy sketch brush.

The second pic is the (very different) result of another new brush. Something I'd read (or imagined I'd read) in some tutorial from a few years ago resurfaced in my brain, and I decided to try sampling a small area of a photograph of a cloud, and made it into a brush. I started screwing around with it, and the Smudge tool, and somehow the damn thing worked. I am just floored by how well it worked. I've loved clouds since I was a little kid, and have always wanted to be able to paint them, but somehow I never much have. So, I learned quite a few things about how to represent 'em tonight from trial and error. My barn and field are kinduv crap, but I hope it doesn't detract from the overall effect. See whatchya think... (sorry that STORM o1 is so tall -- I didn't want the details to be lost)

"SUNNY DAY" • (b&w)... and "STORM o1 (or BARN STORM)" • PS7

9. The Following User Says Thank You to William b. Hand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I decided to try and create "my own" cloud brush, without any photo-sampling...

I think I've ended up with a better brush, and it's certainly a more robust resolution, plus it's helping me learn further about the nature of the tool. Took me a long time to create, though. Here're some pics of the brush, a comparison with the photo-sample brush, and a test of it. See whatchya think. I'm pretty damn pleased with it.

Bottom pic: "MISSILE TEST" • PS7 (no refs)
    Last edited by William b. Hand; March 14th, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 593 Posts
    Beautiful work sir :]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    DanielC - Thanks, man!

More of same brush, similar colour, here... I'm not really convinced about my lightning, and wasn't gonna leave it in, but it kinda grew on me. I know I'll be paying closer attention to the next photos of lightning that I see. I'm tackling enviros -- hooray.

RED STORM • PS7

Thanks
    ha ha Will any way you can give me a bit of that epiphany juice you're taking.
    Cause i'm in need right now

Your enthusiasm in experimenting is really nice to follow, ALMOST feels like learning stuff without actually doing it...almost...

the cloud studies look very interesting and those brushes really work the most succesful exercise imho was the rocket.I know nothing about painting really, but i can say what i see and in the barn ad red storm image the clouds/sky look flat (maybe you're going a bit too crazy with 'em).The clouds themselves look VERY 3d (even a bit too much, in the last one they almost looked like a cave ceiling to me) but the sky is lacking "depth".Maybe adding some atmospheric perspective, working on not one but many diffrent "layers" of clouds, gradually "fading" in distance could help.I have no idea of what i'm talking about, really.

i kinda understand what you find so entertaining in painting them, i was only once lucky enought to see a really big storm from a distance and man, it really was amazing to see.
    Btw really liking that bit of terrain+house on the last one

hope to catch you on msn some other time (of course, only when the epiphany ends, if it does! )

ciao!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    whoa those clouds are damn hot! you're the brushking! thx for sharing those experiments, just cant get enough of em!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Josef K. For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    This cloud bruch is amazing. I like the last pic but I think it would look better if the ground would either be more affected by the very red and blue light or if it was more of a silhouette.

Cheers

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Atomic bombs of paprika. Yum.
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You know your airbrush work (assuming its airbrush) really reminds me of my favorite artist. I love having a chance to throw his name around. Check him out if you arn't familiar with his world. Zdzislaw Beksinski.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rushwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    HOt damn, just went backwards on your sb, I love all the progress you have been making transitioning from tradition to digital. Really inspires me to continue my quest of digital also! Thanks for the push.

-Frank
    Portfolio

SSG:
    -+--+--+--+-

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Knarf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, awesome clouds there I am a fan of your crazy character/creature concepts. Very inspiring

Come visit my...

sketchbook

Thank you!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pandahund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have to agree with TheGnoll regarding your second cloud test. You are super tallented and your eye for subtle detail and the macabre sublime is remarkable, but here it seems like a... ahem, "photoshopper" has run amuck. I use the term in the most horrible way, and I know it is a product of your latest test phase but still; none of the elements seem to even try to fit together. This brush can be used to much more subtle and beautiful effect, and you certainly have the skill to do so.

I love the fact that you are posting (and have posted) your experiments and quick ideas, and I can only feel sorry for myself (haha) at how quickly your newfound brush creation skills will naturally explode upon your digital creations to give them even more life. All I can hope is that you nip this early overt use in the bud and use this testing phase to secure your balance.

Somehow I get the feeling you already have.
    "You have a taste for drawing - I trust it will improve." - Melmoth, The Wanderer

Sketchbook
    Blog

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munin Raven For This Useful Post:

Page 34 of 90 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 84 ... LastLast