Short animation pre-production, can use help!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Short animation pre-production, can use help!

Hey guys! right now I am working on one of my ideas for my thesis next year. This is a 1 to 2 minute computer animated short to be eventually entered into Siggraph 2008 upon completion. I have a idea about 50% fleshed out. I am real escited about it and was hoping you guys could give me a hand..!?

story in a nuthsell: What happens in the millisecond when you hit the play button on your walkman and the music hits your headphones? I'm telling the story of human character who is sitting down after another long day. They pull out their walkman and hit play. Time freezes and we journey inside the walkman and the fantasy world inside of it as we witness what happens before the music starts. (imagine hoards of little "soldiers" turning the cd by hand, and mad scientists shooting lasers at cd, creatures pulling out the instruments of the track, etc).

Real important is that the music being played is some true to its roots, hip-hop.

So I'm designing my first character. I want him or her to be modeled and textured realistically to contrast the graphic stylized world inside the player. My main goal at this point is to design a character that is appealing and most importantly is not the stereotypical hip-hop listener, see: Tall tee and baggy pants with a low fitted on the head....I don't want that, I want someone you might not expect because that will greater examplify the power of hip-hop.

So I've just been cranking on some head designs and am getting feedback on the most successful ones. Which ones do you guys feel? I put a grid for ease of selection. After I pick the top 2 or 3 I will explore hair style, facial structure possibilities, and all that jazz...

Sorry for getting long winded! Excited to hear the feelings of some CA'ers! Thanks. And I hope to post some more of the process after this, hopefully go from this point all the way up until I begin to animate and beyond..haha

Sincerely,
    Francis

Name:  dude_heads_smallerCA.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  453.9 KB
    Name:  girls1_smaller2CA.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  506.1 KB
    Name:  girls2_smallerCA.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  361.2 KB

Last edited by Fvallejo; March 25th, 2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of all of these I like the 2nd last girl in row H. 2nd from the left in Row E is nice too..I get a good 'listen to hiphop because I like it' vibe from her. 2nd from the left in row B is great...I see a guy who sits down after a long day @ work...he listens to intelligent hip hop because it cheers him up...sometimes he gets depressed about his wieght and intellihop makes him think that positive change can happen.

Yo, have you seen Deltron - Mastermind? Check it out

http://www.channelfrederator.com look for episode 39...trust me, it's well worth the DL.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful studies man.

ur idea makes me think of the cocacola commercial with the world inside of the vending machine.
    it also reminded me of a short, you can prob find it on youtube. it's about a dj who controls time with his spinning. pretty interesting.

i like the 2nd page 1st row 2nd girl. she looks tired, needs the pickmeup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real nice man.

Try and mix it up a bit, not everyone has the same red nose and shiny highlight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the responses guys

Ian Mack: I like the way you look at the "2nd from the left in row B" character...I checked out the Deltron vid. It's pretty sick, it's almost motion graphics since the animation is so limited but the stylization was killer, thank you for that!

afterthought: thanks, the coke vending machine is an inspiration for this one, yes I believe the girl you picked out is my most successful female character as well

Idiot Apathy: haha I agree about the nose thing though, I find myself going to that as a default much of the time, especially when I am looking for speed, I will vary this in the next set though, thanks for the words!

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the male 3rd from the right in row C. He reminds me of someone who would be really uptight, and work with computers all day, then would like to unwind while listening to some sweet hip-hop. I hope that helps and wait to see how this animation turns out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like these alot. Not that constructive, but you can have an asspat

.hugs

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me like to, nice and fresh style...whould love too see it "moving"....please post some of the animation as fast as u can...i whould love too se it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like B1 in the 1st one.....cool stuff, definatly want to see how this turns out

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.