Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fresh ink, Rock & Roll!

Thanks

Fresh ink, Rock & Roll!

Hey everybody, I just finished printing this poster last night for an upcoming Mono show at Soundlab in Buffalo NY. Here's a photo with my toe in the picture for scale...
    Attachment 111844
    These were printed on 18"x24" sheets (100lb Exact Tag if you're a paper nerd). Two color, process magenta and black. My girlfriend helped hang and move the posters to the floor, a big help since I could just keep pulling screens. We printed 70 posters, here they are taking over my basement!
    Attachment 111845

The attached image at the bottom was the original design. My screen printing craft is less than perfect but it's cool to see what random textures and fuzz you'll get by actually screen printing it. It's a really organic process.

Comments and critiques welcome. I know screen printing isn't the common mode for a bunch of the stuff going around here, but I figured you all might be interested. And if you're in Buffalo or near by go see Mono on the 14th. They rock hard. http://bigorbitgallery.org/soundlab/upcoming.html

Peace Everyone!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    sick poster! i would want one for my room. do you think you could go through the proses of designing the screens and printing them out. i would love to try this out for my self.

Thanks
    I love screen printed poster art. The wolf and surrounding purple/pink 'flames' look fantastic.

I too would love to see some progress shots etc.
    my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , for more images and to kill time.

Thanks
    long live printmaking! very cool stuff

minoring in printmaking but haven't done screen printing yet

Thanks
    The prints look so much better than the JPG... no offense tho

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments gents. It's great that you're interested in trying out screen printing too. It takes a bit of trial and error and some do-it-yourselfing to get started. Here are some of the resources I started with... Speedball has a good starter guide describing some basic methods and process. I've looked at some screen printing books before, but this pamphlet is comprehensive for being so small:

http://www.unprofessional.net/screen...structions.pdf
    and the pdf is available here as an html page
    http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Silk_Sc...tructions.html

I'm not a Speedball rep or anything, so there are other materials out there. A lot of screen printing pros use Ulano materials which I just haven't tried yet.

adam278, SEVANS, here are some more process photos from my current studio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/butimaw...7594259617468/
    And this is another Rochester guy with some photos of the process: http://www.unprofessional.net/screen/index.html
    Sadly I don't have any pictures of myself pulling screens, but I can't take pictures and print at the same time! Here's the Altered Beast poster I was printing from the other pictures in the flickr set (I feel bad bumping this post without art in it, so forum guilt!):
    Attachment 112288

If one of you wanted one of the Mono posters I can't really sell them (permission from the venue to make them, but not licensed as merch) but I have a few extra if somebody is super into it I could send you one for the shipping cost. Send me a pm or something, I'll have to cut it off after like 3 or 5 in case a lot of people want one. Don't get mad if I can't send you one.

Justin, it's cool man, I agree with you. It's almost the mistakes inherent in the process that make it look cool. Computer output can be really cut and regular, so screen printing adds some welcome crunch to it.

I have another poster coming up (hopefully first of many) and I'll make sure to post it around here. If anybody has a band or a cause that they want some sick posters made for, give a brother a shout! I can try to answer specific questions too, email or pm away. Peace!
    Last edited by peter_john; March 23rd, 2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: broken image attachment, trying to fix it

Thanks
    More posters since last time. I had a pretty busy April... four posters in as many weeks.

First be Monotonix for a|v space:
    Attachment 136301
    Brains exploding, eyeballs floating, good good things.
    Attachment 136303
    Prints on prints, I used my bad Mono prints as test sheets to get the screens loaded with ink. Brains exploding over glowing wolves was the result.

Second up, Acid Mothers Temple for Soundlab. Behold the wizzard:
    Attachment 136304
    The dude is partly based off of front man Makoto Kawabata and accidentally me (it's what can happen if you try to draw a generic face, it looks like you since you know yours the best). More process:
    Attachment 136305
    Attachment 136306
    He's spitting out these ghosts.
    Attachment 136307

Third is Pit Er Pat for a|v space:
    Attachment 136308
    More explosions, this time a bears head. The rabbit and skunk are thrilled about this, rocking out.
    Attachment 136309
    Colors one and two hanging on the lines.

Fourth and last for now, the Cinco de Mayo party poster for John's Tex Mex (my friend's restaurant). It recounts the historic battle La Puebla, Mexico (the origin of the tradition of Cinco de Mayo), retold through Mexican axolotls fighting off French octupuses. Beware the baguettes.
    Attachment 136311
    Attachment 136310

Shameless plug: I have some prints for sale if anybody is digging them, www.peterlazarski.com. That's it, peace!

Thanks
    so sick man, love the acid mothers one! thanks alot for the process shots and info.

Thanks
    These are super awsome for some super awsome bands. I love hand printed show posters.
    Ive been slowly collecting stuff to make my own home silkscreen studio. do you mind if i ask what you use for an exposure unit?

Thanks
    Nice work man, more power to ya.

Thanks
    Really nice stuff. You ever get to Nashville, you have to go through Hatch Show Prints.

Thanks
    K8bit - my dad and I built this beast for an exposure unit. I call it the tanning bed.
    Fresh ink, Rock & Roll!
    Fresh ink, Rock & Roll!
    It has 6 fluorescent fixtures in it, two hold regular fluorescent lamps and the other four have uv lamps installed (we figured 6 uv lamps would be overkill). It works pretty well, I just lay a big pane of lexan over the top. This was kind of a diy project gone mad... I saw Jay Ryan lecture and he showed pictures of his exposure unit. I think it was just a drywall box with two of these inside
    Fresh ink, Rock & Roll!
    and a piece of glass from a table on top. He said his exposures took about 4 minutes and mine take about 7.5. I would have figured that uv lamps would work better for exposing, maybe so in an industrial unit but not mine. There are a lot of ways to go about it. I think I have rough plans somewhere for my exposure unit if you wanted to look at them. I'll dig up the exact type of lamps I'm using too, I have it written down somewhere...

joe12south - Hatch is awesome, the guy that runs it (his name escapes me) came to RIT to give a lecture. He pretty cool. A friend of a friend of mine interned there too, I think she's working at Yeehaw! now.

AdamDillabo, ab4185 - thanks for the comments and checking in!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast