Art: Beginner questions. (sculpting with sculpey)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginner questions. (sculpting with sculpey)

Hi everyone, im new here and im also new to sculpting so i got some questions about sculpting with super sculpey.

I finished my first sculpture and painted it with acrylic paint, (im also new to painting with acrylic paint so i dont know much about that either) i didnt like the way the paint made the finish all glossy, what should i paint with if i want a matte surface? Is it like this with all acrylic paints, or is it just this particular paint? I would appreciate any links to sites with tips on how to paint sculptures and how to get different surface effects.

I think i read somewhere that you can smooth out the surface of the clay using alchohol or lighter fluid. I have lighter fluid and just want to know how to apply it, use it and how not to use it and all that. One thing that comes to mind is - is there any risk that the sculpture when baked in the oven ignites because of the lighter fluid? My common sense tells me not to put something with flammable liquids on it in the oven.

Is there other forums like this one with people posting pictures of their clay creations, i love to see other peoples work. Please share any links.

And also, any links to sites with tutorials/tips for beginners is appreciated.

These are the questions i have right now, may come with some more later.

Last edited by StinkyFists; March 22nd, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, there is StatueForum.com, but I'm not sure if you can really join them out of the blue. Although registration is supposedly free & easy, I think you have to be a known sculptor to join. They let you "register," but won't actually let you activate an account and post unless they know you and your work. Or maybe you have to attend a certain number of comic book conventions per year. OK, that last part was a joke -- but I seriously do believe you will have trouble joining their little community; it might actually be private.

Doggy is offline Doin´it for fun, hoping to get better... Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kolla Smellybugs tutorial, där står typ allt du behöver veta=)
    För att färgen inte ska bli glansig brukar jag själv spraya på Fixativ. Det är ett spraylim som egentligen är till för att fixera blyertsteckningar, men det funkar fint. Spreja bara tunt, annars kan färgen "smälta" och börja rinna igen.
    Lycka till!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For seeing lots of different pros and amateurs work and in-progress shots you can join us in our sculpting forum.

Cheers.
    Brandon
    www.shiflettbrothers.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is the Clubhouse too. You will see some of the same users there.

www.theclubhouse1.net

(They don't accept free web e-mail addresses such as hotmail, yahoo or gmail for registration)

And kudos to you for using your common sense not to put flammable liquid in the oven. The flammable liquid however evaporates rather quickly. I play it safe and leave mine out over night just in case. I have had no fires or explosions yet. pld: I work with turpenoid not lighter fluid and my suggestion there is to play. If you spend time reading threads from the past you will see tons of tips and little things about what not to do and how it works best. i.e. spraying it with rubbing alcohol to make it evaporate faster. Take the time to read and not just look at the pictures there is a wealth of information in the text. There is also the search tool, try entering lighter fluid and see what threads come up.

Welcome, and have fun!

-n-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the links to The Shiflett Brothers and The Clubhouse. I've been waiting days to hear back from StatueForum.com -- I guess I'm not famous enough to join there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Alright, thanks to you all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think everyone has already mentioned the ones i would of said Smellybugs tutorial is ace and theres a whole page of tips/tutorials over at clubhouse.Try this one too.
    http://www.goregoregore.com/tutorial_04_eng.php
    theres lots of pics

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.