Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Mat's Continuing down the path of seriousness!! (Updated Daily)

Thanks
    Thanks Mitzi! And Randal, I'm game for a paintover to see my mistakes...
    I've been trying to keep everything kinda loose at the moment Matt, but hopefully in the future you'll start seeing some more improvement from the things I've learned

-------

Wowza, I've drawn quite a bit since last time lol!

Anyway here it is...
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Definately improving so far! I would like to recommend that you avoid (too much) rendering right now and develop drawing. I really like what you done with the life drawings. As for a good medium that adds good contrast. I'd suggest checking out charcoal and don't worry about getting your hands dirty... you can get some good extenders that can hold the medium in. I'd highly recommend getting some bamboo and making your own. you just need a good saw and a couple of hose clamps. It goes along with the ol' motto 'Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome'

Thanks
    Alright well it's been quiet here for a week I think. Well no more! Heh, I've been up to no good trying to draw, I just got my tablet in so I'm going to start digi-drawing again Hopefully all will turn out well.

------ Responses! -------
    -------------------------

The Crazy Dude SRD
    : Well we're about to start working in charcoal in my class in a bout a week or so, working in clay and wire at the moment. As a matter of fact, this semester has been the most rewarding yet.

On a side note, I've discovered that sculpture is incredibly fun and something that I've never tried before. I really like it. I mean alot. So far, besides drawing it has to be one of my favorite mediums. Tell me what you think, keep in mind this is number one, and it's still not done

Also, I need any and all tips that you guys can give for digital coloring. My skills have crashed terribly since last time I played with my tablet, so if you have a link to fancy brushes or some tips on how to blend properly or anything, I'm all for it. Also looking for advice on how to start drawing up some landscapes and assets to model in 3d/clay
    That picture below is about how far down my coloring has gone...

I've also joined in the beginner's corner to learn some techniques in the painting section, hence why I asked about tips.

Anyway, hope to see you guys in sketcher sometime.
    Here's the update.

Until next time,

-Malakai
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Nice scuply. I've only done one of those in my life and I hated every second of it.

Anways, I think a good thing for you to try is some materials practice. Look at how wood looks and look at how metal looks, then draw it. Draw spheres, cones, cubes, etc. in the different materials over and over for practice.

Always keep the figure stuff up!

See you in AIM!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beonarri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Dude, Looking good. I put together a little piccy for you to help with your colouring. If you need to know how to choose the colours then i can do another picture for you.. have a go, keep us posted :-)

Attachment 310464

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RandAlThor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I am seeing some improvement, which is a good thing. I think you need to focus harder on figure drawing though. Either join up in some classes or pick a day and go draw people in public settings on that day or something. Some rigorous figure work would help a lot.

I'd still keep an eye on jumping work straight to the finish. It's not as prevalent as it was earlier in the thread, but it still seems like you're trying to go from zero-to-complete. It's okay to leave things unfinished, especially for a sketchbook.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beonarri For This Useful Post:

I am really liking that cat with the fish bone lot s of personality. You got some nice drawings but i think if you used ref it would help you a lot. Keep it up

12. The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, I've joined the Art Crusades, and frankly... I'm skeered lol ;p

j/k lets get this on!

For anyone that wants to challenge me, I'm a headhunter so, PM me and we can set it up. Oh, I'm light btw, so all you darks, beware! >.<

Other than playing in that mini-game, I've been up to quite a bit of drawing lately. I've been taking my sketchybook everywhere with me, and frankly, it's already almost half-way full. Not bad for 1.5months of sketching. Although it should prolly already be full by now lol.
    Maybe I put too much pressure on myself... eh, who knows.

Beonarri: Thanks for the compliment on the sculpy. I rather enjoyed it. I'm actually gonna do a character sheet for her soon and redo the whole thing and try to keep it even this time around. Oh and also keep the frame itself alot more solid. Going to wrap the wire around like 1" thick as much as I can to make the figure extremely stable!
    As far as the start->finish thing, I dunno, I just try my bootay off to get things going. I keep telling myself, "This will be the sketchbook that I finish everything in." But that never ends up going the way I want it to. Maybe I'm just putting too much pressure on myself on that end. Who knows lol. Oh and I've also been doing alot more life drawing, mainly on the environment end though, but still life drawing helps I hear!

Randalthor: MAN THANKS ALOT for those!! I referenced them as to the beginners in the Beginner's Corner 2.0. They are loads of help! Keep those up for sure lol. I'm going to be throwing in a little bit of color very shortly myself. The duels with Beo are starting up in the Art Crusades. Hopefully I can handle myself decently.

Mitzi: Thanks a bunch. I think I'll follow that advice. You can see my improvement when I use references below. The girl with the twin guns, her body type and face were partially taken from reference to get the scale of her proportions correct.

THANKS ALOT ALL! I'm always open for crits/suggestions.

Like I said though, I'm open for challenges too btw Just PM me with the time and I'll try to schedule it lol.

But anyway, now for the good stuff. And btw Beo, the dog character is my character for Crusades.

-Malakai
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    This one - is really cool and shows a lot of improvement from the stuff you had on the first page. I also really like your tiger though it has some issues.

Your best piece so far - the first one in post 79, awesome character

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    At the moment i think you are being a bit too geometrical with your figures, I can tell because they are a bit routine and stiff. Also i think your avoiding foreshortening and hands in a lot of them. I know everyone hates to learn to do hands, but once you get to a certain point you realise they are as expressive as the face

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Smarty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Woohoo! Another update...

I don't know about you guys, but lately I've been feeling a pseduo-improvement here!

n1va: Why thank you! I'm really glad you can point out some good'uns, I hope I keep your interest in the future! The unfortunate thing about that cat character that everyone keeps raving about, is just the fact that it was an art exercise that I did for my 2D Layout class. It was some oldschool French piece of art that I used for reference.
    Thanks either way though! I'm all about crits, and everyone knows I need them lol!

smartkyle: Yeah, I think I agree with you in all aspects. I do have a strange avoidance to foreshortening, but I'm going to try when I start working on more characters. I may start doing some studies for hands and just every body part all together. Hopefully things will start pulling through soon.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and I'm not sure, but the Art Crusades may or may not be over, I'm not really sure. The judges seem to have vanished. Either way, I'm still up for some private challenges!
    Maybe some of us could get together and try to each do our own version of the ChoW or CoW or EoW or something? I dunno, just if anyone wants to do so, just post here and I'll see if I can fit it in :3

Here's the updated versions of my Challenges. And just some extra art.

Trying to start focusing on Environments, so this should be an interesting adventure

Enjoy,
    -Malakai
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    you really like your dog men! Anubis anyone? Ha i remember bein scared when i was a kid at the Anubis helmet reveal in the original Stargate film!

That last one doesn't quite work depth wise, Each individual drawing is more at eye level, so to separate the distance between them with little perspective almost gives it an isometric feel.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Smarty For This Useful Post:

Thanks

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cout<mecha For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast