Sketchbook: Mat's Continuing down the path of seriousness!! (Updated Daily) - Page 7

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yes! I'm getting excited... this semester is a killer, but I'm not letting that stop me lol!

Here is some more that I've been working on... but firrrsttt.......

----- Responses! -------
    --------------------------

Chupacabra: It's perfectly fine with not checking in I'm still working, unfortunately, I've been lazing out on the perspective at the moment... I'm working on a ton of stuff at once as far as drawing goes lol!

I will be working on a ton of perspective pieces as soon as the semester of school wraps up. That's my next thing... getting the landscapes taken care of. Thanks much for the advice; I'm going to start applying everything very shortly. Let me just get through this semester of school 0.o So around December 3rd, I'll be back hardcore to start working on everything.

space-sprayer: I can't agree more... I actually didn't know those facts about the nipples such an odd thing... those little circles on our chests I might actually have to start applying that during my drawing. But they probably won't be very elaborate, merely little dots in the center of the chest as place-holders.

-------------------------

Thanks much guys~!

I've actually decided that I'm going to go to some independent study at the local art college after next semester of school so I can start learning some basics on top of everything else that I'm learning from all of the nice people here. I can't thank you guys enough! Even when you don't say anything, I learn so much from your pieces! You guys all rawk!

I'm starting my studies of the old masters soon to get a decent portfolio going on top of my own personal works. I'll start with Rembrandt, and work my way through Goya and possibly a few others.

Let me know what you guys think... I love critiques.

Anyway, here's some more, from ref!

~Mat

Attached Images Attached Images        
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Mat!

Glad to see you back in the game! The second picture of the old man with the hat has some nice rendering, as well as distinct character, even though it isn't finished. It looks like it's from ref. Maybe a master study, even? It's looking good, anyway

The last drawing there, the standing girl in the shorts, has proportions issue. I know myself how hard that is, but because you obviuosly spent some time finishing the shading etc, I think you should instead use that time into actual studies. Obviously doing more detailed/finished pieces occasionally is vital too, but really try to churn out more anatomy and perspective studies.

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi mate

Nice to see you still around kicking it.

Is a good idea to spend the most time on the initial stages of the composition, rather than rendering, since there is where the spine of the picture lies.
    Getting down the proportions, scene“s perspective and main shapes from the start will save you time and trouble for the rest of the proccess. Dont worry about rushing and take your time to set up everything and make guidelines calmy as you start a new piece even when it feels a bit more boring than adding shades and lines.

Keep up the studies

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey just been looking at your sketchbook, and it's amazing you have really improved but i would love to see some more digital work.
    keep up the great work

SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow dude, you've improved a lot! I'm really impressed with the progress, the stuff on this last page is light years ahead of the stuff on the first. Keep up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again... It's been a bit since I've updated 0.o

Never-the-less, I've still been at the artistism

----- Responses! -----
    ----------------------

AsaB: Yeah, that piece with the guy in the hat was actually the beginnings of a Rembrandt master study. My professor at school thought it would be helpful for me to start to study some old Master's. I can't say I disagree. That one unfortunately, is still unfinished though.
    I'm going to surely start with the studies now. I've got quite a few projects in the works in my mind, so hopefully you guys will start seeing some interesting stuff in the coming months. By the way, thanks for the compliments!

Renegade89: I've been kind of busy, but I'm still hanging out Yeah, I agree the same with you as with Asa, you guys both have some very sound advice. I'll get back to it on both aspects. Thanks to you as well!

Bagg: Thanks for the encouragement!
    I'm actually about to start painting up some of my newer stuff! That will come in the coming months, what with my schooling coming to a wrap-up.

n1va: Yeah! I'm continuing to work on things! My real goal is to get faster and better, so hopefully you'll continue to see improvement.

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

On a side note: I've discovered the neccessity of nipples... OH THAT FABLED PIECE OF ANATOMY

Either way, I'm going to start spending a bit more time with my tablet coming up. I'm scared, but it has to be done

I've done a few new things on this update, one: I kind of added some flair to all my pieces what with borders and things. two: I've actually placed the ref shots right next to the finished. Some are better than others in my opinion, but you'll just have to give me yours

Anyway, enough talking; here's the art!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook

But in your most recent post, Careful on head size and shape. You cut off the top of bandanna girl's head. See how she's missing the top right portion of her skull compared to the reference? Also frightening 80's sunglasses man(not your fault he's frightening, it's his fashion sense) suffered a similar fate, though you've more just shortened his head overall. Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain addresses the tendency of everyone to crop off the tops of heads, so it's not just you.
    Double checking proportions as you go should help. Don't draw as much skull as you think there should be, instead measure and draw what's really there. When in doubt measure. When not in doubt measure anyway.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yyep, you're slowly getting there. You need that eye! See the mistakes and make them right! copycopycopycopy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see the dedication man! The studies look great, keep doing them! But do stuff from head too, it's important D:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yall really cought the characters and i dig the dag on the cover o yall sb !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So.. it's been about three months. School started and is officially kicking my ass. This is what I get for being in a portfolio class hehe

My teacher is making me do three modelling, I've been designing websites on the side, learning to draw, learning to paint, and working a full time job... this semester is hellish.

I've still managed to get in a bit (I won't say alot) of art in since last update.

----- Responses! -----
    ----------------------

MyOrangeHat: I'm actually starting to do some posemaniacs practice drawings to try and correct anatomy issues. Hopefully over time it will pay off... I'm also going to be starting up some life study classes this summer methinks as to further my anatomy skillset. Hopefully this will help out as things go on.

~Faust~: Hehe, can't disagree there... I'm on it captain!

algenpfleger: Thanks, unfortunately the dedication wore off as soon as you said that as far as updating is concerned. I'm going to try for the billionth time to keep this a little more up-to-date... :0
    I'm actually happy though, because I don't use reference much anymore unless absolutely neccessary. The studies that I was talking about earlier are merely to gain more ability in anatomy. Hopefully it will all pay off soon

Grandmassa Mr. Spect: You know, I do have to say, thanks for the compliment! That dog took some time to do. It was actually my first 'contract' piece, so I'm pretty proud of it. Hopefully those kinds of things will continue in the near future.

Now you guys are going to get an onslaught of spam pictures... This is about the sum up of the past month and a half of drawing... so beware, this is quite a dump!

I think I might try looking for an SSG again... but I dunno, I feel as though my dedication isn't nearly good enough for it. I'd like to get into one like Two Listen describes in the SSG post here: Down at the Bottom!

Honestly, this guy is a very honest and cool guy in my opinion, and I don't even know the guy LOL!

Also, I've been trying in the past couple of ChoWs (unfortunately too much everything else keeps me dedicated enough to finish on those... UGH).

Anyway... enough talk, more pictures...

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still continuing the art spam... here's three from today's lunch break.

I also forgot to mention in the last post, I found the most inspiring story from none other than Jason Manley: WORDS OF WISDOM!

Anyway... continuing with the studies.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, i can see a lot of improvement here.
    good luck and keep doing those pose studies to help you out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continuing... I've been making an attempt to get back into the digital scene still: Here goes number 2 progress.

Participating in this weeks newest ChoW... my goal is not to have everything perfectly, merely to get a finished piece out. I want to try and maintain a finish at least one piece a week kind of thing so that my portfolio won't sag in the end. If need be, the portfolio will be overwhelming by sheer volume alone. The main interesting thing I think to alot of my teachers and things is the fact that I don't really do much of my work in class, I use that for notes, questions, and usually to keep my mind on track.
    You see... I've come to the conclusion that I need that outlet to keep myself on track, and thus far it seems to be working

----- Responses! -----
    ----------------------

_^SlayeR^_: Thanks! I'm trying my bootay off lol! Especially in recent times it seems...

I don't disagree about the pose studies... I was frustrated with them yesterday and only did a couple, but then I managed to spew out this piece I'm showing today... I'll post more studies later; I really think they DO help, I just think it takes time. I'm doing about ten minutes of 30 second studies a day at least. I figure thats 20 poses a day at the minimum... that should get some experience.

I plan on taking a life drawing class this summer, so hopefully that will help me get some real world experience in that field.

Anywho, here they are; sketch and first layer of color.
    Just a note about this... while digital coloring, I'm working in a million layers to really try and absorb what it takes to get all the different shades and things. I understand that most people work on one or two layers, but I'm trying to get a feel for coloring by having easy access to a correctable layer.

Also, I've come to a realization that I need a base layer of color to start learning where to place highlights and shadows.

Hopefully it all works out in the end...

Cya next time.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from lunch today...

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One from lunch today... had to be done quick because office folks kept coming in.

Also, the remake for the ChoW piece that I'm working on. Will have that colored tonight prolly. Want to get done asap with this stuff

Anyway, hope you enjoy

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continuing my update spam...

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! Looks like you've been drawing quite a lot lately! Great stuff, I hope you'll really use most of your free time to do more studies.

As others have said, I see some improvement from your earlier work, you're definitely on the right track. It's really just your observational skills that you need to polish right now. Your proportions still need some fixing. Maybe try to spend some extra time on a drawing, erasing and redrawing as you go. Be critical, try to spot your mistakes and repair. But keep this pace up, I'm sure you'll feel the difference sooner than later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah. you jumped a few skill levels since I last..umm...went on CA. XD

Good to know you're still drawing, unlike some people. /me/

Keep rockin it dude

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies, you have improved a lot since the first page. Glad to see you
    re using blender, I studied that stuff for about a year before I decided to work in 2D. OOps. That Chow is looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy as all hell with work. They keep me on my toes doing this webdesign stuff. I just wanted to go ahead and let everyone know that www.matart.org will be launching in a matter of weeks That way I'll actually have a spot for my arts on de webbins

Annywwhhooo...

----- Responses! -----
    ----------------------

AsaB: Good to see you back in action too!!

I'm working on studies right now... it's been a bit uneventful artwise in the past few days, but I'm back on the horse lol. I took spring break and just relaxed to the max. Didn't draw a whollle lot. Got the IDW done for yoitisi because he was threatening to whip me lol!

I'm actually going to start getting heavy into the studies for now. As always, there will probably be playing in between, but I need to get on the ball and get used to drawing the RIGHT way. That's also something that I'm going to be working on, really drawing from life. I'm going to be taking some classes this summer (life drawing) proabably to get used to drawing from real life.

As far as me and the eraser are concerned, we aren't on speaking terms right now So 9 times out of 10, I don't touch the eraser at all lol! I just have a tendancy to just draw right over the mistakes lol.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by! Don't be a stranger!

kool-ka-lang: Ka-Lang!!! Where have you been! Get yo' ass back in here and start drawing again!

Aaron Death: Thanks! I'm trying to improve... you'll have to tutor me in blender, I CANNOT for the life of me figure out texturing. Anyway... thanks for comments.

Small studies here, and the IDW that I've been working on. That's about it for this time. THANKS for comments everyone! Just a quick burst and back to work...

I'm still drawing my little booty off when I get free time... hope you enjoy!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matte Art i like the pencil studies especially the hands. Good work, you should render them more as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XTREEEEMMMMEEEE SSSGGG!!! DOOOO EEEEETT!!!

*Serious*

Man you got a very good shading , now keep studying the anotomy, you are on the right path!!! Watch your porpotions too!! I recommend that you start building your things with the 3d method of construction, using boxes and cilinders it will help your drawings to pop-out and give some density to it! Keep it up dawg!!! xD

Go go go, really keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, your pencils are getting a lot better, and you've been staying away from the soft brushes in your digi work. More life study! I'm off to try some of my own!

"Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, glad to hear you're attending life drawing classes! I'm positive that will speed things up. It's tremendously fun, too! I always got into this trance, I just couldn't stop. So you have fun there

Real nice hand studies up there, looking good. It's good to divide it into fewer geometrical forms, like you did. Still don't forget the overall flow, so to speak. I mean, don't focus too much on the individual forms, always think of the whole to get the proportions right Don't forget the negative space, either! So keep this up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here comes s'more, been working on some 3D on top of my drawing.

----- Responses! -----
    ----------------------

Ruivo: Heh, I'm sticking it out in all sorts of areas. Hopefully soon everything will be pulling together. The next few months feel like the climactic ending from FLCL

KLEVR: Yeah, I've been trying out this life study thing you speak of It feels a bit different but overall still not a whole lot different than working from pictures. I think honestly the whole art school life study classes might be best for this kind of thing. People switch positions too much and too fast, so it's hard to capture most people. But I have gotten loads better on poses from posemaniacs.

AsaB: No, the life study classes will probably end up being during the summer. I'm a bit intimidated as I've never drawn real people like that before. But I suppose it's supposed to help eh?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by negative space drawing... anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks guys; quick update here as I gotta get back to werk :p

Web design summons me 0.o

Also... Hurricane has some awesome tutorials for those of you that know his work in the Exclusive Sketchbooks sections. Thats where I got that rendered goblin looking thing on the last one... I want to redo those tuts as he has some nice ones.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Ah sorry if I was confusing, I meant to write that it's awesome you're going to attend life drawing classes. I saw you weren't doing those now. But lucky you, your summer will be awesome! I haven't done much of these myself, but before I went to study architecture at the art academy here, I spent a foundation year doing all sorts of stuff. We did some weeks of life drawing and I adored it! At first I was a bit shy, but soon that wore off. After all, you're all there for the same purpose, so there's no reason to be intimdated. I'm positive that the more advanced will probably just help if anything

Oh, and regarding negative space drawing. Sorry I wasn't clear! Well, it's basically drawing the space around the form(s) you're concentrating on. The famous vase/faces drawing shows quite clearly how shifting your focus will create different shapes. Here's a more complicated flower drawing, where the oulines of the flowers are simply the results of drawing the inbetween-spaces. It's really important to be aware of this, because to get proportions down (esp.in faces and such), it's vital to mind the relationships between lines, forms and shadows.

Doing some pure negative space drawing exercises (this one is good), will most likely benefit you in that area. But after a while, you'll be shifting your awareness constantly to the negative space area. For me it has become a natural part of my drawing process, I'm always conscious of it, shifting back and forth between form and non-form. That helps you to think more abstract and simply see the forms in front of you, instead of constantly thinking about that damn nose or whatever you're drawing. They're all just forms, a play of shadow and light.

I hope that cleared things up somewhat! You should absolutely take a look at it, I'm sure it would benefit you On a final note, I'm gonna recommend this amazing book for you, since we're on the subject: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It really opened my eyes as to how people see and think, and I leveled-up just by reading it But honestly, it's very helpful. The chapter on 'symbols' is especially incredible, how people "see" things in over-simplified symbols instead of drawing what's in front of them. Anyway, I highly recommend it

Now keep up the good work, those exercises are looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matte, thanks for the comment you left me.

your stuff is looking good, keep doing studies. im noticing some problems with your arms though, the elbow seems to keep starting a bit low on the arm. sry if im just repeating what everyone else has said.

anyway keep it up and youll get great results

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid work man, keep at it, you're improving! I like the "materials" page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of studies and nice 3d practice there, nice to be well rounded, keep em up.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1