Sketchbook: Mat's Continuing down the path of seriousness!! (Updated Daily) - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait...wait...wait wait wait wait wait...I made sense?!?!?!

HOLY CRAP ON CARROT!

Right now, I still think you're biting off more than you can chew. Setting up scenes is important, learning composition is a necessary trait. But, I think you should start much simpler. To learn composition, just draw some simple, loose line drawings, very small. It's easier to fill a thumbnail with information, than a whole page. When you draw them, don't be afraid to be loose and abstract. Find what works and what doesn't. Work with foreground, middleground, and background. Work with positioning elements on the page. Play around with the Rule of Thirds.

Remember, especially now, to think simple. Just follow the K.I.S.S. method. "Keep it Simple Stoopid".

Also, I saw a preview for Shadowrun...doesn't look cyberpunk at all. It look like Halo with different characters. Very un-cyberpunk. Cyberpunk needs to look 80s, goofy poofy hair and large shoulders, lots of wires and techy stuff all over, too. Or, at the very least, a belt pack machine...like Hiro Protagonist's.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there Malakai; You definately have what it takes to be a good artist; determination and an eager will to learn! I would like to second what Beonarri stated, It is easier to start simple and slowly add more concepts into it, A great foundation will acellerate you farther than trying to do everything at once. I would also like to add to the list of books that Mr Beonarri stated with the Vilppu Drawing Manual and the Loomis books online, The latter because they are free to the public.

Later,
    Shawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Beonarri: I still don't quite have those books, but I've been practicing a few pictures from reference.

@ Crazy Dude: Man I would love to see those loomis books, I can never find them! I've been googling like crazy hehe.

The first one is my everquest 2 character done as I see him

I'm actually EXTREMELY happy with how it turned out as I did it with no eraser and in only 45mins!

Secondly, my 3d modelling class has been picking up and we did a few projects recently. It's amazing the drive the other students have in that class. We're going to be working on a game soon possibly, and I might have to get a few of you in on it if you aren't too busy with other things. I don't know though, I'll keep you posted lol.

Thirdly, as I stated before, I have a background for my starcraft pictures. Well I finally got it pieced together today in photoshop class. It's going to hopefully be really good as I have ~4 weeks to hand paint it in photoshop.
    Other than this stuff, I've been working alot in Illustrator, which unfortunately won't export here I don't think lol.
    Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Here's the stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah forgot to add to the above post my fist picture!
    Done by suggestion from my fiancee hehe!
    It turned out really well in sketcher.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there,

Some very promising images emerging here, however I think in many ways you are trying to jump the gun a little before you are ready. Some of the character sketches are good but they lack the realism that would make them great. Do some life drawing and then translate those images into your characters.

I noticed also that on several of your digital images you are using photoshop filters to make the images that little bit more flashy, while you are still learning try to steer away from them because its harder for people to see what you are capable of because they don't know what the filters have done for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though the rest said that you should work on more simple subjects first, but if you want to colour outside of your studies: Consider using less saturated colours, for now your colour works look very bright and unrealistic to give a drawing the mood it needs with colour. Good luck with the studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, just letting you guys that are watching my SB, gonna be a little bit till I update it again, working on some secret projects ;P (basically finals and all that are coming up shortly, so I'm working on my big pieces to get good art grades). I'll post my WIP as they come along. But it'll be a day or so at least until I convert this stuff to web graphics (photoshop/illustrator atm). As of right now, I'm taking on any assignment for SSG though, so that will still be a part of things. Just lemme know if you guys wanna enter into any CHoW or CoW or EotW or something, I'm game and I'll try to slap my 2cents in before the deadline
    PM me if needed. Or AIM me, I'm usually on while painting lol.

This 3D model is all I've worked on besides my finals lol.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some pretty neat 3D...well...at least I think it's neat. Probably because of the reflections, but reflections aren't that hard in 3D.

It only gets a little confusing when the pieces are overlapping a lot. They get a little lost amongst eachother.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found ya something man... Loomis' books all in PDF format (you'll need WinRAR for it though) Excellent work on the chess set, although you might want to try to add more solidity to them, or changing the angle, move the pieces around... this will help with the slight problem of them visually merging together that the transparency is causing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool sb, I would suggest getting some anatomy books such as bridgmen, Vilppu, Hogarth, and Loomis, there are others out there, just do your reseach and find who you like best. Keep drawing man, even if your focusing on 3d drawing is very essential to all things related to art. The better you can draw the better your able to create your the visions from your mind. great start now lets keep the ball rolling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEY MALAKAI.

I'm back.
    Just got back from vacation, --- I'm gonna start posting again.

some quick hints-
    when you do the landscape thing, it's probably easier using the side of a regular pencil to shade, rather than doing a lot of lines of shade like that.

Keep drawing

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up man those 3D models are awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! im new to the sketch group. I've only had time to look at your last page so....

I don't really know abotu 3d but that looks good to me. The digital painting needs some work though, i suggest working with bigger brushes and think in terms of value first instead of colour, check out the peer prokject on these forums for help with that.

Anthro is not really my thing, but the guy you have shows some promise. To take ti to the next level do 10 sketches of a dog and then 10 sketches of a human and focus on the figure/anatomy. Posemaniacs is good for humans. After you've done this i tihnk the anatomy issues with you'r anthro will be better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hei there i like the imvirement sketch .. hmm one think on what you got to put a litle more accent is the value try to make it a little bit cleaner .. i think thats all for now .. keep on posting il be watching

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm are you dead? let us know please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, nice 3d, i saw your CHOW, it looks hmm.Not sure what to say but the water needs some work to be done. **I know nothing in 3d** lol.Take care !

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm back.

I'm back, was on vacation and things. Finally got finals done and now ready to start posting again. Sorry it took so long.
    As far as the ChOW, lemme know which you guys decide upon, I'll give you my vote. Just let me know which starts up. As far as what I've been up to: Here goes.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you back again... I like the depth of the landscape, however the colors aren't working with the lightsource... I'll have to do a quick paintover to show if you're interested... The drawings of the dudes have some anatomical problems, such as the hands being too small for the body.

I'd also like to suggest doing a few still lives in your 3-d modeling program... (What is it by the way?) I know that water in most older 3-d programs is a very difficult process to say the least... I wonder if you have ever tried using 'Blender,' the freeware 3-d modeling software. I've seen some awesome work done in it... I can't do shit in it myself but someday I'd like to take a serious crack at it.

Later,
    Shawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm i still think you need to do some simpler studies, i dont think your pulling off the full on sci fi man yet. Read a good anatomy for artist book. Also try your paintings in greyscale first, the colour picker in photoshop is evil for beginners.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm game with the quick paintover, just PM it to me

As far as the 3d modelling goes: I've been making all my stuff at school on a Mac OSX10, using Strata 3D. It's got a quick learning curve, so at least thats good. Of course, we went above and beyond what our teacher was trying to tell us during class lol!
    And as far as the water looking ugly, it actually animates using procedual(sp?) textures, so that a sort of shoreline effect is used while the water itself animates. It's pretty neat lol!

As far as new artwork, it's all in the works, so much stuff just hit me that it's literally all hitting the fan lol. Just about to start my second job, and going to school full-time, plus working on a broken down car, while all the while focusing on my sketchbook studies so that I can be a competent video game artist! @.@ WOWZA!!!
    All that and more!

Seriously though, I'll post some of my art here as soon as I can. I started work on that COW (which I prolly already missed, dunno haven't even seen the deadline.), but it's not in digi, on paper only. Basically a giant lizard thing lol. Anyway.
    Like I said, I'll be updating shortly... sorry for the delays between. I'm starting to learn thumbnailing and storyboarding, so things are in the works

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches as of Late

Alright guys, here's what I've been up to lately:

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here is assignment number one! At least 5 studies for the day
    Hope to get some crits and/or comments! Cya guys laters.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy jeebus! The following have just been spewing from me. Hopefully I can get some feedback
    These are from the past couple of days!

The last one is something I'm actually proud of!
    It was taken from reference though, but colorized.
    If you can tell me the source of where that picture came from, I give you a gold star! Hint: It's the best cyberpunk game ever made!!!
    Anyway... catch ya guys later.
    -Malakai

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey fregg'n cool sb the characters are great and the 3d stuff looks real the wepons specalist is cool cant wait to see some mo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good you're seriously busy with your studies, just keep doing them from now on and it will pay off. Try also in the meantime drawing blind contours, straight lines and eclipses with free hand. This'll improve your sketch lines for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a long time since i've been here. Good to see some definate improvement... Nice to see yuo being more ambitious with your doodles too. keep up the anatomy practice and your be better in no time :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I have a few things more to scan in and show you, but I just wanted to take a minute to discuss my goals.
    Goals are something I think everyone should have, and I also think they constantly change.
    As far as my personal overall goal, I'd love to be an environmental artist for video games (drawing/modelling those beautiful backdrops we've all come to know and love!) and even further to push myself, to be a concept artist on top of that.
    I have no companies in particular that I would like to work for, but I suppose it just depends on where I am at the time.
    Currently I'm in my third semester of a community college here in Tennessee, which unfortunately has pretty much no relation to what I want to do overall because they merely teach graphic design. I suppose it can help a small fraction for idealization (is that a real word? (I'm an art major not english major hehehe)), but overall it doesn't help me a bit learning traditional media. I've been practicing A LOT of gestures lately and I don't really like scanning all the page upon page I do of those, but rest assured, I'm drawing them like crazy. And sometimes it feels like I'm actually starting to get somewhere.
    So here in lies the problem. Anything that I can see, I can draw, but I have a serious problem pulling junk out of my head. My question for this time is, does practicing all these gesture poses and things help to pull ideas out of the can on top of my shoulders?
    Sometimes I just get paranoid because of the competition I suppose, that and the time constraint of getting into graduates college pre-2010. I have to be a master in traditional media before then and then they teach you digital media to the fullest of their ability. That will be a really exciting and fresh approach to things.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I would like to show you guys some of my goals:

From my understanding these are all amateur artists, which is the really daunting thing. I could be wrong on that though. Keep in mind those pictures aren't my own. And that I would liek to one day be as good as those artists. I suppose it will just take some serious dedication, effort, and time. If anyone has any advice or anything, just pop on by and lemme know.

Also just as a note, most of those are WoW fan art... lol!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's those scans I was talking about... nothing special today I'm afraid.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For your goal of pulling junk out of your head; did you mean that the picture in your head doesn't look right when you put it on paper? or did you mean that when ever you start to draw, your mind goes blank and you can't think of what to draw? (but minutes before, your head was swarming with ideas?)

For the first question, I just drew a lot from life. It helps strengthen your critical-eye skill-ness. (The ability to see what's off or something.)

for the second, mind go blank thing, (which happens to me too ) This is all anybody can do: Relax. For some people, it's incredibly hard, for some, easy as cake. You really have to let go of everything that makes you apprehensive of thinking, (for me, it was what other people would think/that it's not good enough.) It's almost like yoga, breathing in and out, letting all inhibitions out.
    just clear your mind, and focus on one thing at a time.(reminder for myself too. XD).

and...yeah. Oh, and I think those pics you have are pretty pro if you ask me.

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And now for something new!!

Ka-Lang! Where have you been? OH MY GOD THAT WORD LOOKS SO STRANGE!!! HAAHAHHA
    Anyway... I'm easily amused. LoL
    Thanks for the advice by the way... it's slowly helping out, I'll figure it out soon I'm sure lol. We should get on sketcher one day and practice together, and that goes for everyone that might be interested in seeing my sketchy book. Just e-mail me or post here and I get an e-mail anyway.
    Maybe we can set something up to practice together. I need to get serious now because school tryouts are coming up extremely soon. 6 months to go... I'm skeered! And I need to improve 100x over still. The best of the best.
    Practice seems like it's only getting me so far unfortunately. But I'm working on some new stuff very soon for finals in school again.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some new critiques.

So alright, here's the new upload.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1