Processors
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Processors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Processors

Weird that there isn't a computer specific thread. Whatevs tho.

I'm looking for a computer, and was wondering a few things. One, whats better, a pentium d processor or a dual core processor? Everything I know about computers says that the pentium is better, because it has got higher GHz and whatnot, but then why is it cheaper? I'm somewhat computer literate, but I'm not much of a computer geek, y'know. Beyond these two, what is simply the best processor overall and why? Fine if it'as just your opinion.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The number of gigahertz the processor sports is not by far the only thing you need to look at. You need to look at cache, and fsb, socket type, etc. Also, when choosing a processor you need to realize that not every processor will work the same for your needs. If you're dong workstation stuff you will need to do some research to figure out which processor is for you, if you're doing gaming, same rules apply, and same for digital art. A fast processor is a fast processor, but read reviews, read user comments on wholesale sites like www.newegg.com. Are you trying to build your machine for longevity? or immediate gratification? You have to also consider the fact that not all software properly supports multicore or 64 bit processing yet.

Also, don't be surprised that there is no computer specifics thread here. This is an art site, not a computer site, and a vast majority of artists here still work in traditional mediums even if you see digis presented a lot around here (it's a lot easier to resize and post a digital painting than a traditional sketch or painting).

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, yeah, pain in the ass tryin to scan big-ass canvases. Ok, let me be more specific then, are there any processors that are good for all of the above? Or if not, then which processor do you like(these questions is be directed at anyone who wants to answer), what do you use your PC for, and why do you like it?

I personally am looking for a computer for gaming art, modelling, animation, music, watching vids, and a lot of internet stuff. Mostly media stuff, less gaming, but I still want to do sdome good gaming when I want, but I'm interested in what other people have to say about their computers and CPUs, and what they use them for, etc. You don't have to have the specifications I do if u want to post.

Last edited by JJ McKool; March 21st, 2007 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then you'll likely want an intel core 2 duo based system with at least a a gig and a half of ddr2 ram (faster than pc4200 if you're really looking for performance) an all around good videocard I've found to be for a reasonable price is an nvidia geforce 7600gt, it's not top of the line anymore, but that's what I use in my desktop (and the mobile version in my laptop) and it's keeping up with everything I throw at it. I personally prefer DFI, Asus, or MSI motherboards if you're going the do it yourself route (which is by far the best route if you have the know-how), at least a 500 watt power supply (but be careful about which psu you buy, because even though some of them say 500 watts, a lot of times they don't actually have a peak capacity of 500 watts), and if you like good quality sound I love my Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 pro, and skullcandy headphones. If i were you though, I'd wait around for a little while. AMD is supposedly cooking up some new rockin' processor that will rival the intel core 2 duos, and AMD has always been the less expensive maker when it is going head to head with intel it seems, at least a 250gb sata2 hard drive with 8-16mb cache would do you best (much more than 250gb is overkill, and buying more than that saying "it's for future use" is kind of silly because by the time 250 gb becomes the norm, or obsolete there will be bigger and better technologies out). Tack a good quality Pioneer or NEC DVD burner on there and you've got yourself a good system that will do what you want, last a while, and not make too big a hole in your wallet.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Sepulvertures system, grab a core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram and you're set.

The core 2 duo has less GHz than the pentium d but it is heaps faster. GHz used to define speed, but now that GHz is hitting the physical ceiling (it will be pushed further of course, but right now it is straining at the 3GHz level) we are finding new ways to squeeze more calculations per second from lower GHz - which is results in a more efficient chip as well (less power consumption). So forget about pentium d - the core 2 duo is a generaiton above it and better in every way. Also forget about Athlon coming out with a competitor to the Core 2 duo - although they always have trumped Intel in the past, it looks like Intel has won this round, and if you need a computer in the next year then get an Intel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sepulverture raised a point that deserves to be reiterated: get a high quality power supply. I learned the hard way (bought parts for a nice AM2 system, came home and discovered I needed an ATX-E PSU rather than my previous ATX PSU, rushed back to the computer fair and bought the first ATX-E psu I found, an AU$30 '500W' piece of crap that subtly and progressively failed in the most insidious and soul-eroding way possible. The kind of system crashes where actual sound is emitted from the motherboard chokes...

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PSU are indeed over-looked much too often.
    Don't forget about graphics cards. They aren't just needed for CG, they do make an impact on 2D application performance and quality.
    You would want one with DVI connector, higher resolution support, dual monitor/wide screen support if that's what you're planning to get.

Even cheap GFX cards these days will come with those features, so you're not gonna have to pay too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the only question that matters is your budget.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basically two to three grand for just the tower, lol, got gifte cards for the speakers, monitor, mouse and keyboard. Wow, yeah, I need to buy this in the next week basically so waiting for AMD is out. So what, is it bad to get 4GB of RAM then, or is it just that 2 is decent enough. Yeah, I've been lookin more intentively at the Core2 and it seems to be the better, but thanks for all the info, more than i needed. And as far as 250GB, yeah, I saw one with 4TB of HD space on Alienware. Define overkill, lol. THx 4 the info, guys, you've been a lot of help...so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, what about cooling units, you guys reccomend gettin aftermarket or what?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah 4gigs of RAM is probably overkill for now, stick with 2 unless you're really planning on doing high end 3d stuff.

Yeah that 4TB of space is soo overkill as well unless you're doing lots of video editing. And stear clear of Alienware as well, they are over priced and you can get heaps better for less $$.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure how far AMD's quad core is off, but if you like to overkill that is going to blow your mind. Also, based on hear-say I think the AMD dual core processors or whatever are better, but I speak under correction of course.

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can build yourself an actual workstation for under a grand that will do everything you need it to do (and do it well). As far cooling is concerned, the newer processors do not eat up so much juice where a heavy duty after-market HSF is needed (unless you are going to quiet / silent capabilities).

Last edited by novenus; March 25th, 2007 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N
    I'm not sure how far AMD's quad core is off, but if you like to overkill that is going to blow your mind. Also, based on hear-say I think the AMD dual core processors or whatever are better, but I speak under correction of course.

- d.

You'll have 2 quad core architectures to play with soon enough - the K8L (Athlon 64 X4?) and the ominously titled 'Fusion', which is apparently going to combine multiple cores with an on-die GPU (and a general purpose vector processor, i think i have heard it said?)

Mmm I can already see it... athlon 64 x4 12000+. Of course, more and better SMP implementations are critical.

And yeah as far as cooling goes, stock coolers should do fine for both intel and AMD. The face of heat output in processors has changed a lot since the days of prescott P4s and athlon xps. Also as both intel and AMD now incorporate heat spreaders and levered cooler brackets you're far less likely to damage cores putting the damn HSF on, which was always a great source of stress for me.

Last edited by Snarfevs; March 24th, 2007 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha ha, build my own, yeah right, that ain't gonna happen, lol. I'd like to, but as far as that goes, never done it b4 and rather this computer I'm getting actually works, LAWL. Wish I could wait for that AMD one, sounds cool. Might still get 4 gigs of RAM, not sure, tend to use way too many programs at once and whatnot, plus I know I'll end up doing as complex 3D images as i can, seems to be my way of doing things. Heh, pc's gonna end up bein round 3 grand for me, custom, unless i can find a better quote somewheres.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So tell me if this sounds suspicious, went on another custom pc site, they say they can make the same pc, slightly better for $2,060.73 as oppsed to the last place which said around $2500, these r both US sites mind u. pcsforeveryone.com is what its called, for reference, doesn't sound right to me. They also dont seem to ship to Canada, go figure.

Last edited by JJ McKool; March 25th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are there outfits that make graphic workstations for 2D/3D artists? Since you are not a hobbyist / technician / DIYer, I would suggest that you go with a reliable company that provides decent / good support and infrastructure rather than saving the addtional 300 - 500. I would also purchase an extended warranty for 5+ years since you are sinking a lot of $$$ into this, if I were you. Can you list the companies you've looked into getting your workstation and their respective quotes so far? I can look a bit into it if you want. Oh, and believe it or not, Dells aren't that bad. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was actually just looking at Dell and they seem fine plus they ship in Canada. Didn't realize they did custom stuff b4. velocitymicro.com quoted it between $1900 and $2600 US, depending on the system u start with, and whatnot. The Dells I looked at were $3,219 which didnt have vista, go figure that one, and $1,529, which had a terrible processor from the looks of it, but these were the deal pcs, so, both CDN too. Another place was buydirectpc.com, which was at Cdn $ 2,680 .08, w/out shipping. i think those were the main ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get this, dell doesn't offer psu upgrades, whats the deal with that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I bought a pc from buydirectpc.com, and so far they have been really good about everything. Already got a couple free upgrades as far as sound card and video card. It was more pricey than with Dell, but I figured the psu was pretty important, and I'd rather not do something myself and void a warranty or something. Plus their good machines couldn't even come with vista, they told me it was cuz nothing uses it yet, especially as far as games, but I've been lookin around and a lot of stuff has patches u can get so that they'll work, and he tried to say that game companies wouldn't even use it, and if i get a job with one, they'll probably have a purchase plan. But what if they don't, huh? Plus as far as I know, not a lot of people use their own pcs for this shit I'm doin. But then he was tryin ta make a sale. I hate that, I went online because I didn't want to deal with that shit, he was tryin ta pressure me so I just said, "Hope u know that cuz of u I ain't gettin a Dell, fuckface," ok, so I wrote it, and it doesn't quite have the same effect, but still, Im awesome.

Heres what I got with it,

Case: 17 Inch Aspire X-Plorer Black

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.67GHz x 2 Dual Core 1066MHz FSB 4MB cache

Motherboard: ASUS P5B (Intel 965P)

DDR2 Memory: Dual-channel: 4 x 1024 MB DDR2 667 MHz / PC5400

Hard Drive with Serial ATA interface: 250GB 16MB cache SATA2 NCQ hard drive

Optical Drive : 16x Dual-Layer DVD±RW with Software / Lightscribe Enabled

Video Card (PCI Express x16): NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB Dual-DVI / HDTV-out(free upgrade to a NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB Dual-DVI / HDTV-out)

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SE(free upgrade to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtrememusic)

Network Card: Integrated LAN with 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet Controller

Input/Output capabilities: Refer to the motherboard chosen.

Power Supply: 500 Watt power supply with 120mm fan

CPU Cooling: Manufacturer's CPU Fan

Operating Systems (OS): Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

Warranty: 2-Year Limited Warranty

Service: Assembling and Testing

Actually, Im kinda pissed now, I went back and looked at the site and the prices were dropped and they had more shit. I JUST BOUGHT IT A COUPLE DAYS AGO! Yup, even with the upgrades I got gipped $100 or more. So basically if I can give any advice, if u get wift of a processor thats out but not in your country, wait till it comes out, it wont be long, and u'll save yourself some money. GOD IM MAD!

Last edited by JJ McKool; March 28th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well... the price of your cpu alone will drop from about $530 to about $316 on april 22 (in 3 weeks)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you're using 64 bit Vista, not the 32 bit version otherwise you're wasting your RAM - as far as I'm aware, 32bit Vista can only use 2 - 2.5 Gigs RAM max.

You've got a good rig there. Good one for going Intel and not AMD (which at the moment is power hungry and underperforms) - and for not going with Dell - they suck balls (hard to upgrade, crap support, over priced and cheap components [that's not the case with the Dell workstation laptops like the M90 which is super sweet]).

When you want to upgrade you can slot a few more HDD's in there, get a better PSU and go SLI graphics and your laughing. That ram and proc will keep you happy for quite a while.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.