CHOW #63 - VOTING - Guest Host:D-BAKER. Topic: Iorek Byrnison - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your CHOWracter!

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • chuckwadey

16 22.22%
  • 23509gtgauvin

0 0%
  • 63_e_ashab

1 1.39%
  • liamjames

1 1.39%
  • rogzilla

0 0%
  • Matias

4 5.56%
  • crobin

0 0%
  • D-BAKER

16 22.22%
  • CAKEYPIGDOG

18 25.00%
  • supervlieg

5 6.94%
  • iorekfinalrv7mrgrumble

12 16.67%
  • Meeatu

1 1.39%
  • chow63Lohan

1 1.39%
  • IorekByrnison_2FORM

1 1.39%
  • BHANU

1 1.39%
  • hwango

0 0%
  • Iorek-Byrnison_bJAKKAS

2 2.78%
  • CHOW63D8TOMMOY

1 1.39%
  • IorekByrnisonFinalFatalis

1 1.39%
  • kredepops

2 2.78%
  • poinko

2 2.78%
  • bluefooted

13 18.06%
  • Iorek_GOOstrander

0 0%
  • Armando

1 1.39%
  • MarcoMazzoni

47 65.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CHOW #63 - VOTING - Guest Host:D-BAKER. Topic: Iorek Byrnison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Im in...

...very late in on this one ....well gonna do my best to have something finished until deadline.

Here is the wip as it looks now.

..well, I gave up last night. Simply too tired... Good luck to all u dudes who manage to finish up !

Here is my piece as it looks now.. Im gonna finish it and post it in the finished section later on, kind of like where its going and its a cool topic.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second ms. blues comment. You guys are really awesome.
    It's been ages since I tried a CHOW. Go easy on me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bluefooted, I'm glad you DID bother. That's a beautiful piece. The variety of shapes you choose really spark my interest.

I'm suprised at the volume of unique enteries. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect with "talking bear in magical armor" as a topic. Kudos to everyone who gave it a go.

Anyway, here's mine...

TOOLED! is offline lvl 5 magic scud missile Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess i made it just in time. I thought this topic was an inspiring one to say the least. anyways my rendition is japanese flavoured, with hints of samourai sword crafting. good job everyone there is some great, and intimidating stuff here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marco Mazzoni owned this one! He got my vote. Great picture and excellent pallette.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    storming round this time:
    5th: bluefooted: cracking stuff!
    4th: mr grumble: i find this little iorick very amusing and really enjoyed your charcoal work!
    3rd: dan baker: great armour design mate, maybe he is a little evil looking? class stuff old bean!
    2nd: marco mazzoni: excellent piece:lyra holding up the helmet adds a lot : brilliant feel of power and nobilty: spot on.
    1st: chuck wadey: you are my winner: just love it both as a character design and as an illustration. class stuff! love the blue linework on the fur and the general flamboyance of your lineart. a well deserved victory!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round everyone I to must go with marco mazzoni.
    the only thing that makes me sad is that I didn't see my piece in the polls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a big fan of the anthropomorphic thing, but that entry is beautiful. I voted for D-Baker for his originality, but I think Marco's slim lead is probably well deserved.

Really tough vote.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the percentages don't add up to 100%?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My main criteria for voting was that the image should not remind me of any of the concept art I've already seen for this character.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1157079875

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1157079629

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...158065-000.jpg

I would have voted for Inkfish if he had finished, so instead I voted for Timmy for laughs.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MarcoMazzoni is my choice as well. There is just something really great about not just the image but the design too. My only critique would be for the armor to be a little redder. Otherwise, incredulawesome. Deffinately going to make me push harder on the next one so I can get maybe a vote. XP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This round was insane! This ice bear must be a beloved character, or why did so many people participate? The author of the book would probably get a kick out of seeing all these interpretations of him!

ChuckWadey: I think I should have voted for you, but I thought, when I saw it - yeah, he's going to win. So I thought I'd give a vote to a whimsical entry by mrgrumble. Of course then there is Ostrander, MarcoMazzoni, bluesomething and matias and cakeypigdog. Oh man, and even more! SOOO MUCH GOOD STUFF!!!

matias - let me guess, orange is your favourite colour
    cakeypigdog: You are very impressive, you have entered quality after quality, again and again! The little otter in the foreground is too cute!
    Supervlieg: Did your teddybear get burnt? Why is he not a polar bear? Scary action going on, that's for sure! Great pose!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Manmade icebergs is all I have to say about this round.

Chuck Wadey - For some reason, I like your WIP better than the final image. That's a classic book cover already.

mr. grumble - How much?

Marco Mazzoni - There's the sledgehammer. All I can suggest is that the bulk of his forearm would need a more spacious distribution of armor. A weapon behind his back or a monstrous axe handle beside him would have also been an addition to the gallantry. This is one of the best COW entries I've seen since I've been on these forums. You should consider turning this into something..

v - cakeypigdog

There's no resisting the circle of life.

Keep doing you

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great entries everyone! I voted for Marco Mazzoni who swooped in at the end and stole the show! Others I thought were cool were, of course, Cakeypigdog constistantly turning in awesome work man!
    Chuck Wadey great pic, something in the intial sketch had a touch more magic but soild entry!
    D-Baker really nice work to, nice feel to the rust old metal!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch
    Supervlieg: Did your teddybear get burnt? Why is he not a polar bear? Scary action going on, that's for sure! Great pose!
    Uhm yeah, well I kinda missed the part about it being a polar bear. Hence my grizzly. Must.read.better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work, gang. I'm so bummed I missed out on this one. I'm in the middle of THE SUBTLE KNIFE right now ( the contest re-ignited my interest in the series).
    Anyhoo, my vote (and this was a tough one ) went to Marco Mazzoni. Again, it was tough. chuckwadey,cakeypigdog and liamjames all had particularly solid work, but Marco's piece really nailed Iorek. His stature, nobility and overall badassness . Outstanding work, Marco.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A real toss-up between MarcoMazzoni and Bluefooted... but I'm a sucker for the brush-strokes.
    Yet why do I feel regret? Sorry Blue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG! It's been a nightmare trying to view (and comment on) threads with polls. Aaarrrrgggh!

Anyway, sorry about that little rant Awesome bunch of entries here. I was really torn. I ended up voting for 5 people:

Chuck Wadey: beautiful, fully executed, and wonderfully finished piece! This looks like it came straight out of the Super Deluxe illustrated edition, at least the one I'd like to own anyway. Great work and wonderful composition.

mrgrumble: He's so cute and so... unexpected! I love the quirkiness of this entry - it's truly unique. Add to that, the fact that he's floating and the wonderful coloring and I was hooked.

D_BAKER: Great design! I love the mix of natural (bear) and steampunk elements (armor) and the intricate details are perfect. A darker entry than most of the others. I love it.

cakeypigdog: Another fully-realized image - this could be a cover for the books. And if it was, I'd probably have read them. The coloring is gorgeous as well as the use of details.

Marco Mazzoni: Great image! Others have already commented on the colors and rendering, but what really strikes me is the emotion here. I can just picture this old, gruff bear interacting with the little girl. Wonderful fantasy illustration!

And thanks to all who voted for mine! I hope it wasn't too painfully obvious that I've never read the books. I am pretty good at faking it, though

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted CAKEYPIGDOG. Many other entries were too anthropomorphized for my tastes. If it didn't look like Iorek could walk on all fours in the armor, then it was out of the running in my eyes. Still, I was sorely tempted by Marco Mazzoni's piece, which turned out very awesome. In the end I deemed him too bipedal, but I won't begrudge him his eventual win just because my criteria are too picky. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mackerman - Good idea to find some reference. See if you can nail a nice drawing before worrying about color.

gtgauvin - I can't find much in the drawing to complain about except that a lower camera angle would make him more imposing. Very nice, intricate, detail work on the armor. The painting comes off a little flat; you could pop off a few hotter highlight and wrap deeper shadows in a few nooks and crannies.

Ashab - Ahh, going for the dramatic baroque lighting. I think it would look nice if you softly glazed some of the shadows down darker and warmer. And cut in a few hard edged dark spots between armor pieces. Maybe lose the unlit side of his neck in more shadow.

Subluminated - I think you're still at a point where you can keep playing with his proportions and see if you can get him to look more threatening ('cause that's the attitude of the pose). Try scaling up the size of his shoulders, back and chest while keeping his head the same. Maybe crop in a little closer too.

liamjames - You've used some advanced surface treatment, but I don't see much evidence of a solid drawing underneath. I'm not sure how the camera is oriented in relation to the horizon and it doesn't seems like the characters are sitting on the same ground plane as each other. Let's focus on the drawing more.

MarkWinters - I'm disappointed not to see this further along, there was some real potential. I just wanted to warn against that high of color saturation all over the place; save it for the important areas.

Rogzilla - Nice drawing. I'd have maybe gone lighter with the distant mountains so that they stay in the background. Just keep up the strong drawings, color can always come later.

matias - First off, thanks for the head's up about sky armor color. I think you saved a lot of us. Second, cool painting. I don't necessarily think that it's too much red (or orange) but I think it would be nice to have some subtle difference between the mail and the plates. Maybe one is slightly darker or slightly redder.

Inkfish - With the light blue tone you've overlayed across everything, you have a really nice opportunity to drop in some warm white/yellow highlights that would really make his head pop out. Polar bears seem to tend towards yellowish in a lot of the reference I see anyway - maybe that's what happens when they're dirty.

crobin - A little edge clean up is all it needs to tighten up. Maybe cut a dark hard edge shadow under the chain skirt at his waist and get some separation between his two legs. I don't get what's going on with the nose: double-decker nostrils and highlights? It looks like you copy-pasted to make the nose larger but then didn't clean up the original underneath. Some surfaces feel too even/flat. A quick remedy would be some soft shadows on multiply that shift the hue as a surface turns.

D-BAKER - I'm not sure, but I think you did darkened some of the blacks in his face; which is cool but where my eye really wants to see that shadow cut in is in-between the large ribbing on his neck. The goal would be to increase 3-dimensionality, so just hit the shadow in spots. Don't outline across the entire surface or it'll flatten back out.

cakeypigbog - Very nice - looks like you cranked it out with ease. It does have a loose sketch quality (duh, concept art) and while you could take it a lot further, you definitely don't need to. I think the ferret and Lyra's foot merge together a bit much; could use a little atmosphere in-between - unless you're trying to make some clever soul statement. Definitely a favorite though. ...oh, and thanks again for the pre-final crit.

Supervlieg - Hey Sv, how's it going? I think the problem I'm having with yours is the amount of black. Feels like everything is built up from the same black base instead of out of different colors - like rock and bear are too similar... and I have questions about the anatomy of his forward leg. If I chop of the bottom half, I suddenly like the painting much more.

mrgrumble - Touché?!?!? LOL. As if I had a really good point. You've made a delightful piece of art. Seems too silly for the character IMO, but then again I haven't read the book.

meeatu - I guess I'd want to see a bit more cleanup on the background bears, but otherwise very nice!

Lohan - You've drawn this guy flat on like a modelsheet. That's fine, but it's not very exciting. I'd like to see if you could put a little perspective on it. Angle the camera and put him in a cool asymmetrical pose. Finish an awesome drawing before going any further.

Steempunk - He seems like he's floating because his feet aren't pushing flat against a ground plane. Know where your horizon line is so that with every individual piece of armor you know whether we should be looking down on it or up at it. That will help you wrap surfaces around the proper way.

Form - Your paint is beautiful. You're design has me scratching my head and going WTF?!?! LOL, I think he'd be easy to topple over.

artdwx - You're work has a strong identity that ties it all together. That could be a strength or weakness, depending on how business has been for you. I tend to like your less graphic, less angular pieces better. I think you're coloring could have a stronger value range - a lot of it seems washed out or on the lighter side.

bhanu - The bear's back edge reads much more clearly in the first color piece because it's against a darker background. You could probably push back the background on the final by washing over with a watery dark blue glaze, but if you go too dark, you could lose the front edge. Then lighten up some of the bear fur with pure white highlights because he's reading pretty gray. The face got a lot better between pencil and paint - did you find reference in between?

hwango - This is a professionally leveled piece, meaning the light and dark balance is dead on and it reads very clearly. The drawing on the other hands could use some work, mainly in the proportions: I think he could use a much larger body and much smaller limbs if you want him to look more grown up and fierce. Also, because the bear has so many hard edges against the background, it makes him feel a little "cut and pasted".

JakkaS - Nice to see you again, I wish I had time to play more often. I think this feels a little flatter than your usual. Maybe because you're working in such a high key, you ran out of room at the top of the value scale to make the highlights sing.

Tommoy - The distant hills are flattening up to the foreground. You can't really lighten them anymore, but maybe you could airbrush more sky over them to push them back. You could use a harder darker edge under some of the armor and accessories to tighten up to a great finish. I'd copy his eyeball to a new layer and try moving it to different locations. I think he'll look meaner if you drop it and scoot it towards the nose a smidge.

Fatalis - The trick to making something glow (like your armor swirls) is to make sure that everything around the glowy part is dark. I remember the first time I painting with acrylics, trying to copying Bob Ross on TV, I thought there was something wrong with my paints because they weren't bright enough. Turns out you just have to push everything else down darker. I love how oversized his fist is, but I think the length of his forearm is pushing it. He'd probably look better with a bigger shoulder to match the fist.

Kredepops - Cool drawing, cool armor, cool characters. Your paint tends to go gray or "muddy" in a lot of places. Try to pump more color into the midtones. Maybe slightly more red along the line where the stomach starts turning into shadow and more blues or yellow in the darker parts of the fur.

poinko - His eyes are so beautiful that I wish everything else was darkened down so that they'd stand out more. While you're at it, you need to do something to pull the character up off of the background - he's getting lost. Either a different colored background or a darker or lighter background would help a lot.

bluefooted - Obviously you did have a strong chance. It's one of my favorites, at least. Beautiful surface treatment. For a crit, the only thing I would change would be curving the outline of the armor pieces more so that they feel like they're wrapping up around the bulk of the bear's back. The shapes are a bit flat as is, which makes the drawing weaker.

mybutterflyiris - Reads like a mouse to me for some reason. Placing another object for scale would help, or lowering the camera so that he looms up above us. Seems like there's room for the values to be leveled better; have a white highlight that really pops out and some darker shadows sinking way back.

keda - A hot white edge along his right shoulder would look awesome and would also pull him apart from the flag. A slightly larger chest would be cool too - like adding bulk to the lat area under his left armpit. I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a low angle, so be sure that we're looking up at everything (I kinda feel like I'm looking down on his left hand).

Ostrander - I dunno, I love the woodcut texture and grit but I feel like his face should snap out of it and come into focus more. I keep being transfixed by his sunshiny belt buckle. I think you're good at hypnotizing people with genital regions - if I can go back to cow63 for a moment (I hope I'm thinking of the right guy).

armando - Pretty slick. I think a few hits of a darker value in some of the deepest crannies would help round it out with more volume. In other words, it's going slightly flat.

Marco Mazzoni - Damn girl! Well, it is a character contest after all, and your piece oozes character. Well executed and adorable!

Tooled! - It makes a bold, graphic statement - which is cool. Japanese and Panda probably don't fit the character (as written), but hey, as long as you got the piece you wanted. I'm guessing you could do something incredible if you put more time into it.

Thanks everyone! I hope to participate more often, but we'll see...

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round - Marco - prepare yourself for the next one.
    Tooled - you're out for the self vote. I would have vote yours .. too bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck Wadey - thanks very much for the comment, I really appreciate it. Glad to know my use of light and dark has improved. I know exactly what you mean about the character appearing pasted in. That continues to be a problem for me, and I'll try to improve on that in the future. I had a lot of trouble with this piece in general, with things never quite seeming to click. Hopefully next time will go better.

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marco - give us a topic, brother!
    CONGRATULATIONS .. to ALL. A great round!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round, congrats to Marco!

Thanks for the feedback Chuck_Wadey, your absolutely right about the blackness. Not sure what you mean about chopping of the foot. Do you mean the right one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I'm completely overwhelmed by the response. I so feel guilty now for not knowing anything about the character beyond what was summarized in Wikipedia.

Chuck_Wadey - I'd like to know where you got that magic brush that makes everything so luminous. Seriously, the cool light bouncing around everywhere is enchanting.

D-BAKER - I love how you let your silhouette do the talking for you. I think a little more detail on the areas closest to us would put this one over the top.

bluefooted - Like I already mentioned, this is beautiful. All those little curls of fur keep pulling my eye back for more.

armando - That's by far the most heavily armored bear I've ever seen... in my entire life. I dig that it's such an unexpected design. If you pushed the depth of the form a little more, especially where the armor folds over the legs, I think it would really help the larger shapes to read more easily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marco - Just make sure you have the "enchanting" box checked under brush properties.

Supervlieg - I should have started a new paragraph before the last sentence because it's a different thought. I was considering the idea of throwing away the bottom half of the entire painting, not just the leg. I know it would screw up your compositions, but I think there's a lot of beautiful stuff happening up in the sky, face, shoulder, etc... and I lose it all once my eye sinks to the bottom half.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.